Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Dale,

Just curious as to why you chose to go with a radial slick? Brian

2. I run Hoosier radial 10.5x30 slicks. They are faster, more stable and last longer then bias ply slicks. I run around 19lbs. of air in them but have heard of others running over 25. They also do not grow so they give you a more accurate gear ratio and won't rub on the top end if your clearance is close. One thing is they don't work well with stick shift cars. They don't recover as well as a bias tire. When they spin they usually keep spinning. They will shake your teeth out when they spin. On a bad, hot track bias tires can be more forgiving but on a good track the radials will hook hard!!

Dale with your combination I would imagine you could run quite a bit of psi. This equals FASTER !!!

Next time you guys are at a NHRA event when they are having record runs check out what tires the stockers/super stockers are running during their record attempt. Most will be on radials.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks for the PSI numbers. I've been trying to get info on this! You touched on a few of the reasons why I chose these, mainly growth, and wear longevity. Evidently, you do very little in the burn out to get these hot. No show-boating...

Growth was an issue. My current tires, although heavy, show signs of major tire growth!! Hopefully, I'll have some good hrad numbers soon with these.

I'm slated to have the car on display at the Winternationals here in Pomona in February. No racing, just was asked to be part of a static display, for which I"m very grateful, considering the costs of two free passes and free parking for the entire meet. But- you can guess I'll be walking the stock and superstock rows with a pencil and paepr taking notes and asking questions...

4. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Merry Christmas. Did Santa Bring any New Trick Parts! Lighter Rims, New pair of Slicks, up to date seat belts, may be a Weber Carb setup for the small block guys! My wife said that I have every thing I need for the Comets. I told her that (I don't think so) so she said I should get on the weight program! I said which Comet, she said none (just You) HO HO HO ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

5. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Just a little something of interest. Santa brought me Charlie Morris' newest book: Ford Drag Team. In the chapter on Hubert Platt, there is a paragraph were Hubert says Fran Hernadez offered him a Factory backed Comet ride, but Nicholson snaked him out of the gig. I guess because Nicholson was Platt's boss at the time? I wonder how Hubert would have had a Comet painted up? Anyway, news to me. Sorry if I am repeating widely know info. Good book, though.

Mike

6. 71Dart440

71Dart440
    from Wichita KS

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

New combo transplant is just about complete. The new trans-braked equipped C-4 is finally home in the car,as is the new shifter, and the wazoo TCI custom-built converter. Does the solenoid wiring have to be hot specific?? I have no identification on the wires, and electrical background tells me it does not matter?? Also- what size fuse for the protection on this circuit??

Hopefully, the car will be ready for a test-bash session when Irwindale re-opens after the holidays!! Excited!!!

Dale

8. 65COMET

65COMET

The switch and solinoid don't care,just make sure you have a good clean ground!!Hot to one side of switch,other switch leg to solinoid,other solinoid leg to ground.If I remember right a 20amp fuse is plenty.You are using 12V,direct current,negative ground.Not sure about your trans,but one I drove with a C-4 you had to hold the trans brake button in in order for reverse to work.You also needed to hold the cars brakes on until the RPMs came up a little [you can use your staging brake]to build enough line pressure to activate the trans brake.Let me know when you are going to Irwindale,I may be ready to test also[about two weeks]. ROY.

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Might work out well, Roy! You never know, maybe this combo'll have on your back bumper!!!!!

Thanks for the info..

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Got it all bolted together, and took it out for a "careful" test-drive:D. 4,200 on the footbrake, and I could not get the nerve to fully lock-up the transbrake!!! when it hit 4,000, I let the button loose, and it wasted the Firestones ... Yummy, cannot wait for a test-and tune night now!!

The engine revs very quickly now, idles higher, just seems more perky..... I'm hooked....

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;the transbrake should lock up any time you are in first gear,no matter the rpm.Do you run a staging limiter[two step],if not,you may need to come out at a much lower RPM.You may even need to change rear gears to 5.14s,5.43s,or so.I tried to warn you about speed and low ETs being ADDICTING[and expensive]!! ROY.

12. Dale:

Light em up my Brother!!!!

[​IMG]

13. flattrack53

flattrack53

I am wondering if anyone has any photos the the Mercury Comet Cyclone B/FX drag car called the "Heavenly Comet"?
    Thanks,
    Scott Barnes

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

15. flattrack53

flattrack53

16. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

A fellow Marylander. Welcome Flattrack53. I look forward to seeing your car around the area.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Scott Barnes;any stories on how that Comet ended up heading East from Southern California?Did you rebuild it like it was in the pictures? ROY.

18. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Welcome to the Comet Site. What year Comet do you have? Big block or Small block, Street or Strip? Don't feel bad about 30 years I have a 65 that's going on 30 years. Going to make a Cyc Clone AFX but don't tell my Wife. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

19. flattrack53

flattrack53

Hi Roy, my dad bought this car 30-32 years ago from Wayne Conover out of PA. It is getting freshened up at the moment. It will be exactly the same one we paint it all up again

20. flattrack53

flattrack53

1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone B/FX car... It was a factory built drag car with a 289 and a 4 speed.

21. flattrack53

flattrack53

Hey thanks buddy. Sadly you won't ever see this car out on the street. It is a little to radical for the street :)

22. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Welcome Scott. Has the car been in storage for the last 30 years or has it been raced some? Is it still a 289 4 speed? I look forward to some pictures also. Brian

23. flattrack53

flattrack53

My dad did 2 or 3 passes in the car in the 80's. Other then that it was on display at the National Guard building around 1995. That is the last time the public has seen the car. It is still a 289 4 speed.

24. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

If it's the "Heavenly Comet" it's a 65 ,Right?

25. flattrack53

flattrack53

Yes, typo!

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Sounds great to hear of one still around and being refurbished.I'm looking forward to some pictures! The 65 in my avitar is mine,owned it since spring of 67! ROY.

27. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Here's some pictures I haven't seen before...yeah,I know they are 1966.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  28. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I have seen two of the three.The Arfons jet car I had never seen,KRAZY!!! ROY.

29. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  30. 65COMET

65COMET

NICE;they are damned near perfect. Nice color too!! I need to forward that link to a friend in need of a drivers side quarter. ROY