Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got my frame today!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riseabove_xxx, Dec 28, 2011.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I decided not to build one from scratch. This is my first car of many that i want to build. So Next car if needed I will build a fame. I feel like like the frame is pretty short. I have a 31 tudor sedan I plan on using. It seems like i need to extend the back some. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

im taking the cinder blocks out as soon as i get more jack stands

3. F&J

F&J

Hey, I see a transverse axle and wheels back there...get er done :)

4. Looks more like a "T" bucket frame, might be a little wheelbase challenged for an "A";
    but pictures can be deceiving, how long is it?

5. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Very nice. Getting my new chassis for my T in a few more weeks. Getting antsy!

6. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

it is a t-bucket frame.
    theres a local builder around who said i should use that frame.

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

He's probably going to place the springs in front of the rearend & behind the front axle to extend the wheelbase.

Yeah, keep the wheelbase short, they look alot better.

8. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

i have the rear axle all done but no front axle. Im looking for a dropped axle but im having a baby soon so money is extremly tight. The frame was a christmas present. theres no way i would of been able to buy it.

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Look for this post, maybe we all could help?

Pay it foward = free parts for HAMB members

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah the model T frame was smaller than the a frame. The A wheelbase was around 104" so you can use that as a starting point. Too long or too short will start to look goofy. I understand about money being tight though. I'm sure you can figure our a way to use the T frame. It'll just take a little ingenuity.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, that looks like it is a T bucket frame. Did the guy offer any other frames with more wheelbase or is that the only one he sells? Besides being short it is also going to be a little narrrow in the firewall area possibly. The model a frames that would fit this body tend to be wider where they pass through the firewall, making the fit there a little nicer.

Only way you will know for sure is to put the a body on it and see how it looks and fits, but I think it will take more to modify this one than to get one made a little larger. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm for getting your car started, just trying to save you some headaches and additonal work down the road.

On the plus side, that frame looks really well done, appears to be 2 x 3 tubing, which I like better than the usual 1.5 x 3 stuff. You could always set this one aside and use it to build a t bucket later on.

Don

Here is a model a frame for comparison. Notice the width and length differences.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  12. amx180mph

amx180mph

Just as a starting point you need 48 inches from the center of the cross member to the center on the rear axle tube. You can fudge this number but not by much. You can modify the firewall but only to an extent then it starts to look goofy. The one thing I have learned no matter what your building is the "oh that's close enough" turns into a lot of work, expense and headache down the road.

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I have always built/modified my own frames but am seriously looking at the install kits for C4 'vette suspension into my '53 chevy truck, feedback??

14. Hijack ?
    You just HAMB policed a guy for wanting to know about 5.3 engine.

15. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Don is this an old pic or the start of a new project ?

16. bgaro

bgaro

its a game of inches. HEI and clutch fan will add a couple.

17. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Looks like your having fun! keep it coming!

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is an old picture from last year when I freshened up my 27. I built that frame about 20 some years ago. Have a nice New Year, Gregg.:)

Don