Register now to get rid of these ads!

distress cvhrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Dec 28, 2011.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I see alot of guys making things look old . How do you make chrome look old or have burnt look . Chrome is hard as rock and seems like scuffing it with 3M pads give it a fake look.

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Trade your chrome for someone else's shitty chrome I'm sure you would have takers here:)

3. Why would you want to fuck up good chrome?

4. flatford39

flatford39

Exactly...do not fuck up good chrome. There's plenty out there in "old" condition.

5. Laughing my tail off, that's funny right there. I don't care who you are. :D:D

I do not know of a way to make new chrome look weathered, I am not sure that I would want to. Old chrome gets crazed with funny little crack looking things running all over it. It usually starts at the stress points or bends then works its way out. It is a combination of weather and vibration over a period of time.

Here s where the problem lies, if you put new chrome on in one place and the rest of the chrome is aged it looks as out of place as a diamond in a pigs nose. Getting new crome can be a 3 headed monster, you do one piece then you have to do the next and so on and so forth. it is the same with modern color coat clear coat paint. You slather that stuff on and it looks all wet and liquid. The you put the old chrome on it and it makes the old chrome look like butt.

So what ya gonna do. best off to just give your banker a kiss and go from there.

I'm just sayin'.

6. Start a chrome exchange,

I see some pretty stupid ideas, every once in a while, one of them might make sense.
    Tradeyourshittychrome.com

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Dude, its gonna cost me about FOUR GRAND to get everything on my car re-chromed! You want to ruin yours??? I don't get it...

8. cederholm

cederholm

...funny shit!!:D

Please don't fuck up nice chrome, listen to these guys.

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Truer words could not be spoken. This is where I'm at now. Thats why my car hasn't gone into the paint stage yet.

10. scottlep

scottlep

11. If you wait long enough, chrome will fuck itself up....just be patient

12. Hillbilly
    I know what you are talking about. I have a car that was going to be a quick together fast beater. You know just your standard 'bean mobile. Then the wife took the seats to fat luckys. Well that pretty much ruined my plans, now it has to be right, the seats are just too damned sweet to go in a beater. One thing leads to another.

You can use single stage paint or laquer for a quicky job. Either will wheather well and won't be as noticable with poor chrome untill you get the chrome done and ready for a smoothie job.

13. Oh Boy, Oh Boy another way to do "Fake Patina". :eek:

At least it's in keeping with his screen name :D

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:D

Pitbull piss has always worked on f*cken up chrome on projects in my backyard!
    just send it to me & i'll get my dogs to work!;) & i'll even let the boxer piss on it!

Attached Files:

15. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Soak the piece in Vinegar.

But really, why screw up good chrome?

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time making your good chrome look like bad chrome.

You might try some model railroading sites on the web where they show you how to make a brand new trainset look like it's been in service for 5 million miles and never been washed.

Or, you could just give your car a mud bath.

Better yet, you can send the parts out to Bumper Boys. They'll fix you right up.

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put simply , just a try hard . Dont bother wasting time on fake chrome.

18. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Now that I know everybody wants their car shinny with chrome I guess I'll research it other places. The old saying was IF IT DON"T GO CHROME IT. When you have cheap ass chrome plating on what could be a neat piece it makes it look like a shinny turd. If it;s beat up and wore out everybody wants it but then again if they got it they would chrome it . On to the next page.

19. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Thats some funny shit right there.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I "age" chrome guitar parts when I "faithfully" restore vintage guitars/basses by putting the parts in a closed container with muriatic acid. The parts need to be kept from touching the acid, by placing them in a separate container. Depending on the quality of the chrome, the process can take anywhere from 20 minutes for a "burnt" look, to hours for full "oxidation". But be careful, the acid could harm the base metal, espically if it's pot-metal. And if you do this, do it outdoors or in a very well ventilated room. The fumes are NASTY.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Save the good stuff. Have someone airbrush on just what you want. Then when you get sick of looking at it, put your stash back on. Gary

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just when I thought I'd read the most retarded thing I've ever seen, someone has to out do it.:(

23. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

(snicker)

24. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Patina is sort of like grey hair and wrinkles-if you didn't come by it with time and use it won't look right.

A 22 year old can dye her hair grey, but she ain't fooling nobody.

25. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

:eek: Pretty sure it's against the law to do that to chrome.

26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is precisely what I was thinking.

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

If you beat yourself over the head with it till it's covered I'n blood, it will bleed the chrome out and make it ole skool. If not, maybe it will have knocked some sense into you.

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

29. Basically,this is exactly what I did with the bumpers on my truck,,I swapped a friend some brand new Bob Drake bumpers for a set of originals for my pickup,,they are pretty nice and don't look out of place. HRP

30. She could fool me all she wants. :D