Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 4 Speed transmission options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Heo, I am pretty sure that you are right there, both on the Facel and the earlier 300.

Facel used the French tranny (tough bastard, earlier used in trucks after the war). And Chrysler may have offered it in 1963; in '64 the A833 was available.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, man. Honestly, I think THIS is why the HAMB cuts off at '65. Up 'til then, winning a stoplight race or a drag race meant --- a COMBO of (1) your mill (be it FoMoCo flatty or whatever), (2) a tough tranny (whatever you could afford:D), THEN (3) your skill ;) as a driver. Meaning? A "hotrod," a car a local guy built out of his brain, will, a friendly junkyard owner or two, a couple o' buddies.

That three-part formula for drag racing (I mean local) changed, what with so-called factory hotrods -- which, of course, we now call muscle cars.

This why 37Kid's concept makes for one of the most exciting and HAMB-friendly threads I've seen. '62, nothing made, or cast, later.

:cool:

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for setting the bar so high, guess I'll have to get moving on this project. I asked my son in law about a T-10, looks like his Dad may have a few.:)

4. Studes had posi or "twin traction" in the 50's with the Dana 44's- my 56 truck came factory with one....also the 1960 Stude's got the T-10....my earlist Mopar 4 speed is date coded 4-12-63....

think an early Ford 3sp with overdrive would be a good choice...just sayin...

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, in the U.S., it was Packard engineers who pioneers the LSD, which went by various marketing handles thereafter, depending on manufacturer.

Bob, didn't mean to "pressure" you to speed up your project, buddy, :pas I know that part of YOUR enjoyment of the hobby is moving at your own pace -- "enjoying the ride," so to speak! :cool:

It's just that it comes SO close to my dream project that slipped away for lack of money and a place to work, not to mention family and work issues.:( Life's like that, eh? :rolleyes: I had a good-running 4-speed '62 Hawk, plus a strong-running Hemi and a '32 Deuce three-window coupe body. I got THAT close. :eek: I still feel the sense of loss.

I'm partial to 4-speeds over automatics. So, when I see someone planning to put a Hemi 4-speed setup into a coupe, I am on it like a moth to a flame! :D LOL. I guess you'd understand why.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Just to add a few pertinent points:

The first year Chevrolet had a limited slip differential was '57, and Pontiac followed in '58. Not sure about Studebaker. The first year for four speed equipped Chevrolet passenger cars was '59---yeah, yeah, I know that your stepfather's cousin's best friend bought a new '57 BelAir with a factory four speed. Show me some definitive proof. No one has yet. As stated, Pontiac got the four speed in '60. If you want a T-10 with the old look of cast iron, keep your eyes open for an aftermarket replacement T-10 with a G.M. pattern. I've got one I picked up at a swap meet with a cast case and tailstock but a 1980 date code.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow! No shit! LSD eh? I guess thats not too surprising, considering the styling of some of those late 50's Packards and studes...:eek::D:p

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

T-5 with classic Hurst 4 speed knob, whose to know??

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Have you ever driven a 3 speed OD unit? no 2nd gear panic shift issues, wind out 1st, lift up on gas for a mini-second just enough to release engine torque and wind out 1st OD then shift to 2nd OD then 3rd OD. You can drive all day in traffic with switching from 2nd to 2nd OD and back again with no clutch action as trans reverts back to non-OD below 35 mph and will free wheel coast with no decel. My '55 stude with 3.73 gears would pull 85 mph in 1st OD, so you launch, lift gas and re apply at about 35-40mph, wind out to 80-85 then shift to 2nd with shifter, so no shifter action until 80+ mph!!!!

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

STUDE BW with the input shaft shortened and the end turned down to fit Chevy pilot bearing; it has an iron case. Many walked out the back door of Studebaker in the late 50s. Some people believed the cases were stronger than the aluminum version. My project is '68 and back because thats when I bought the engine Hopup parts.

11. jrlemke

jrlemke

Studebaker introduced the T-10 4-spd in '61. The '61 and 1st 200 '62's had the Chev pattern. Late '62 'till '64 used the Ford pattern. The input shaft was different than G.M. or Ford, but can be modified to work. Also, the trans. pilot dia. was about .010" smaller. Jim

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Done deal, the project is getting a T-10 from 1962 or before. Next step is picking out the Hurst shifter.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Got one through the son in law?

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

If it were me I'd get a Hurst with the removable handle and run an early 60's Impala handle with the small plain white knob. They have a cool swan neck shape. On another note...my brother in-law lives in Ridgefield Ct. on Shadow Lane. Some incredible antique homes in that area. Small world (wouldn't want to paint it)

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know what you're talking about. That's a great idea actually. This gets my vote.

iPhone - TJJ app

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I thought the A833 was a New Process design. Anyway, the A833 was used until the mid 80's. GM picked it up for its trucks. The earlier design was still the Chrysler bolt pattern and the later were aluminum GM pattern.

I know you are going with a T-10, just offering up some more useful 4spd info.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The hurst round stick Impala handle is really pretty, and would probably clear the seat, as it sweeps forward as it comes out of the floor. Bet if you find one, it wont be cheap though...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A833 new process debuted in '64, too new. Good trans though.

19. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I know, just saying for others looking at this thread for 4spd info. I stumbled upon a good 833 deal and did a lot of research on it.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bad Penny, If you want to see the world get smaller here is Hastings Foote in his Type 38 Bugatti that lived on Shadow Lane in the late 1930's. He also had a Ford flathead powered race car. Both long gone, but a friend did pull a 1923 Austro Daimler out of his garage in the late 1950's.

Attached Files:

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Swan necked Impala shifter sounds nice, does anyone have a photo or part number? This turned into a great thread, thank you everyone. Bob

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bit hard to see with the steering wheel in the way, but this will give you the idea. Real pretty shifter. This is actually a '61, but the shifters are the same.

Attached Files:

23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The factory shifters were made by Inland, and the handle wasn't removable. Here's a photo of the original shifter out of my Bonneville, it was essentially the same as the one used in the Impala.

[​IMG]

I believe you can get an aftermarket shift handle today for a Hurst that looks like it.

Attached Files:

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The '61-'62 style shift handles are reproduced with a two bolt plate that's intended to be used with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and are sold (the last I knew) by the Late Great Chevy Club. I bought one a few years back for my '61 Catalina project.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The other thing I was going to suggest was making your own handle. I'm guessing you have access to a lathe, you could take a piece of 1/2'' rod, taper the last third of it, cut a thread on the end, bend it to whatever shape you like, then heat and hammer the other end flat, drill two holes in it, and plate it.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

27. BCR

BCR

What Hurst shifter was offered in 62? I know he was making the three speeds but when exactly did he offer the first four speed and what was the model called?

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Lasalle 3spd!!! It should be on par with most other newer transmissions for performance and it'll fit better, or a 60's ford topload 4 spd with jeep topshift conversion, otherwise t-10 like everyone else said orrrrrrr..... 39 3spd box because it'll fit best

As for hurst shifter, the brackets suck for most early applications, but it is pretty easy to make your own

Truthfully look into the ford topload, topshift conversion, it's not 100% '62 correct but it is a great unit for what you are doing

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  29. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Competition Plus was Hurst's first four speed shifter. I've got a '62 HRM with an article about four speeds and it shows Hurst shifters for them.

30. gas pumper

gas pumper

I have a 63 Muncie that I bought used in maybe 68. It came with a Hurst shifter for $75. But no arms or rods. Made my own. I think in the beginning Hurst only made one shifter handle.

At least every one I remember had the same tapered rectangular chrome arm with one curve, all the same lenght. Is that right, HEATHEN?

I still have the shifter and it's still works like new. Now on the Sag in the 54 Chevy.

Frank