Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

2. lorodz

lorodz

this is the era i tried to go with mine as close i could enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. erlomd

erlomd

looks as if its the same hang out spot its been going for 70 some years by the same owner...kinda erie actually in a cool way...very nice

4. erlomd

erlomd

you can almost make out the colors in this one...awesome pic...thanks for sharing!

[​IMG]

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Interesting frame rails on this one. Clearly not "A", and don't look to be Deuce. GM? That up-sweep in the back almost looks home built, though.

Really cool car. Interesting that it's still got the "A" rad shell.

-Dave

6. lorodz

lorodz

the one picture with all the sticks in the ground .all them stick use to have all kinds of boats attached to them its an abandond marina near my moms house it is kinda erie there alot of fisherman history but looks period to me ..

7. I can't belive that I have never seen this post on here all these years. The very first post by Jimmy B are some of the best I have ever seen in anyones colection.
    Thank's Jimmy & the HAMB

8. Looks like it maybe a '34 Ford frame.

9. No worries :cool:

10. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

It wasn't uncommon to see a Model A body mounted on a later '30's frame. There was a '30-1 coupe body mounted on a '36 frame in my home town. To clean up the rails he screwed sheet metal covers to the sides.

Ron

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Some really cool pics in this thread.

12. smitty city

smitty city

So as not to hijack this thread, just posted this also as a new post: Habitual traffic violator stickers.

Getting ready to make some of these stickers, does anyone have a color picture of one, or know what the original colors are.

If not, how do yellow letters with black background strike you?

[​IMG]

Here are the samples, two different sizes, sizes posted underneath each one. Please go by the sizes written underneath, as the pictures, although proportional, are not to size.

[​IMG]

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

They look great, although for some reason I want to think they were actually yellow-on-red instead.

-Dave

14. smitty city

smitty city

15. erlomd

erlomd

16. not a badge of honour.

17. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

That is a perfect picture !

18. dirtydog53

dirtydog53
    from Chicago

19. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

So you're saying that you can put an A body on a later chassis?!?!:eek: If so and it looks alright, that would be so much cheaper than a 32 chassis or maybe even an a frame.

-Cody

20. bustingear

bustingear

This is too clean and pretty for period correct. Nice car but....

21. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I'm just sayin' it has been done. From '35 and up the axle was mounted behind the front spring. Today most don't care for that look. If you look at the pic in post by LSGUN you'll see the radiator is mounted way forward. This was probably done because of a late '30's or '40's front axle. You'll also see the body has been mounted so the rear wheels are centered in the wheel wells. Now look at the gap between the flatty and the firewall. Yep they did some strang things back then but hey it's hot rodding at it's best in those days.

Ron

22. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

A good example of that type of front end can be found on the Elvis roadster.

Ron

23. dcraddock

dcraddock

Jimmy, are these your personal photos ?? there are some well known cars in there,
    candid shots are always great,thanks.
    Dave

24. erlomd

erlomd

It sure is...

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I didn’t spend much time studying the front end initially, but I must agree that the roadster, while not bad, leaves something to be desired from the cowl forward.

Still, I think a rolling chassis from a ‘35 to ‘40 car could make a decent platform for a Model A. Especially if you pinched the front rails and bobbed them to set the wheelbase at Deuce length, more or less. The spring-in-front axle could be converted to spring-behind with new spring perches in the wishbone and the old ones sawn off the front.

I’d probably not bother with grafting on frame horns, just hiding things with the radiator shell Rolling Bones style.

A lot of work? Yeah, but if you get a chassis being discarded by a street rodder, at least you’ll have all the raw material you need rather than having to gather disparate pieces. And probably for less than the cost of a bare Deuce frame!

-Dave

26. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

This has to be one of the 'ALL-TIME BEST' threads on the HAMB, suscribed !!!:)

27. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

28. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

29. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX