Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the Speed Shop that said it all for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2011.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

As a teen growning up in Louisville, Ky. in the 50's and 60's, there were several local Speed Shops in the local area. Clary's, Houchen's, Carter's, come to mind. But for me Clary's was the definitive speed shop. After I got my driver's license in the 60's, I'd spend at least one day a week going over there and checking out the used speed equipment(because I couldn't afford new) shelf. That place will always be embedded in my brain. Let's hear about your favorite shop.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    72yenkonova likes this.
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Eddie's Speed Shop, Fresno CA.....1960's

3. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Doug's Racing Stables Puyallup,WA 1960's

4. 296ardun

296ardun

Blair's, in Pasadena, opened in late '45 on Arroyo Parkway, later moved to Foothill and Daisy, where it remains today...first went there to buy Drag News in '57, later worked there....not the oldest speed shop, but one of the best, in my book ('course I am sort of prejudiced!)

barnfresh60 likes this.

5. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Probably a good thing there weren't any speed shops near me when i was younger, couldn't have afforded it anyway. SW Wisconsin did not have any shops that I knew of.

6. Speed City.... Kenosha, Wi.

7. buckd

buckd

Joe Reath in Long beach, CA

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hollywood Speed Shop, Skippy's Speed Shop, Redford Speed, And of course Gratiot Auto Supply.

9. khead47

khead47

Hollywood speed shop, Dearborn, Mi. and Gratiot Speed shop.

10. Arrow or Ronnie's in KC and Independence, MO, and then Dale Wilch's used parts emporium out in KC, KS. Lots of Saturday's burned at those joints!

34toddster likes this.
  11. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Racing Parts and Machine, Towson, Md. (Baltimore)

12. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

BOB'S SPEED SHOP...Mobile, Al.....opened in 1966 and is still open 6 days a week...he's 79 years old, still opens and closes it every day. I'mhis 2nd longest customer and my cousin was his first and we both still buy our parts from him.

13. Gundermans Speed Shop in Indy.
    Hawkins in Richmond Indiana.
    Those were about our only choices.

14. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Tognotti's Speed Shop in Sacramento

15. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Service Center. Saviers Rd. Oxnard California. In the 60's and 70's

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Kerrisdale Speed.

17. The "Super Shops" speed shop in spokane valley, Wa. Been closed a lot of years now though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  18. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

When I graduated high school in '80 I moved to Phoenix, Az in my Model A pickup. Seems insane now, but perfectly natural then. Anyway, I met lots of nice guys and saw lots of cool cars, but the speed shop that I would've given anything to be part of was Loper's on Indian School Road. They had an honest-to-gawd funny car (driven by Tripp Shumake) right there on the floor, and lots of neat stuff on the walls and in display cases that I couldn't hope to afford. I tried to talk to one of the counter guys there, hoping to be treated like a human being, only to find out Loper's employed the biggest assholes they could find. But still, it was Loper's...

hipster likes this.
  19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Bell & Gaines in Modesto...still in business and I still go there.

20. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Service Center on Sepulveda in Van Nuys. Used to drop in on my way to the greatest cruising in the World every Wednesday night. Knowledgeable racers on the counter and a used parts counter to boot. Many hours spent drooling and wishing.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Brougher's Speed Shop in Pittsburgh Pa. It has been there forever and in the mid 70's held an auction to clean out some of the "old" stuff that was stashed in their attic. I wish I had more money that day but still left with a trunk and back seat full of stuff that I wish I still had today.:( Not many people were into 50's stuff in the 70's so I got some great deals.

Don

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Bought my first hot rod parts from Blair's in '62...Left a lot of my paychecks there through the late '60s. Always friendly and fun to visit.

23. dragass

dragass

Glen Porter at the Steering Wheel in North Bay Ontario.

24. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Gratiot Auto Supply, Pontiac Michigan.

dan griffin likes this.
  25. von Dyck

von Dyck

Ted Kessler's down some back street in Buffalo, NY. Bought a set of JE pistons from him to put together a 324" Olds in the early winter of 1964. Still running that engine with those very same pistons in a Grabowski inspired T-Bucket.

26. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Summit racing. Shopped there when it was the size of a 7-11 and no catalog.

hipster likes this.
  27. #3 for Blair's. Many of my very hard earned dollars ended up there. Don was always fair and the counter guys knew their stuff.

28. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Ben Pilla - Delran, NJ

K&G Northeast Philly, Pa

29. Cerberus

Cerberus

Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine moved to Hayward, CA, in 1976. Been buying parts from them ever since. Al Hubbard machined my first sbc. I'll never forget it. I pulled up to his shop on Meekland Blvd, Hayward. The bare sbc engine was in the back of my '55 Chevy wgn. Al grabbed it with his bare hands, and walked into his machine shop with it. WOW!

30. Western Accessories