Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Big Daddy Roth article in todays LA Times-12/27

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I get on the road now I should be there by dinnertime. maybe you should just scan it?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. They have a web site....Technology is cool... Edit...you type fast...

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks Bob, just saved it from the bottom of the bird cage fate. My Dad saves the paper for the lady next door.

6. trimph1

trimph1

An interesting question stemming from the article.

Could a museum be created around his work? Or would it be better incorporated into an automotive museum of some sort...[​IMG]

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Very Kool Read! I can't believe 10 yrs! It seems like I last saw him @ The RFR like months ago. Glad to see Darryl is keep the rat fed ;). Thanks for the heads up guys!

8. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Hard to believe that he has been gone for 10 years already...

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Interesting article.
    I met him in the 80's after he became a Mormon, he was less animated but still told great stories and was very gracious.
    I will never forget the one on one we had for that 45 minutes or so.
    He is a Legend, I don't think his legacy will ever be forgotten!

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great article...Thanks for posting it!

11. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

12. I remember being online here when the news hit. A big blow to all of us.

Thanks for a heads up on that story Bob

13. mlagusis

mlagusis

sad story...i can't imagine battling my kids in court over something.

14. Thanks for the posting.
    Good read.
    We sat with Darryl for Christmas dinner some years back.
    He talked a lot about his father.
    That was at the Inland Empire CR&C car club annual dinner

15. BAJ

BAJ
    from Ontario

Great story

16. I saw Big at the Oakland Roadster Show when it first moved to SF,. He was freehanding mailboxes and toilet seats and handing them to his guys to airbrush them in .... top-hat and tux ... he was lookin' cool!

I bought a black on white RatFink Tshirt ... he woulda signed it for five bucks but I passed. Sorry to this day I didnt have him sign my shirt .... it woulda been the first (and only) autograph I ever collected and I grew up around that SoCal galamor.

At least I had the chance to tell him he meant alot to me as I grew up. He died right after that.

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Got to meet him at a Goodguy's event at Carlisle years ago.Luckily,I had my glove box door to my truck with me and Ed graciously signed and answered a few questions.
    You should meet your heroes,they don't disappoint.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  18. robber

robber

I had the opportunity to meet Big Daddy Roth back in the early 90's. Although he was friendly and easy to talk to about his craft/trade, I remember thinking, "Big Daddy is a lot more quiet and subdued then I would expect, compared to his personna as it had been portrayed" ?? Looking back in retro spect, after reading this article, I understand why. I guess we are all products of our environment and some of us have a lot to do with the environment we're in. Thanks for sharing this read. I am glad that I did not miss it.

19. cruzr

cruzr

Yea .read the article this morning.........one of these days i will have to do a thread on him and the Movieworld days when i was working there.........

20. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Good article. I met Roth at Hot August Nights in Reno and was blown away he was just sitting by a card table selling tee shirts. I was about 17 and I think I dropped most of my cash buying stickers and tee shirts. I bought him a lemon lime snow cone, too. When I took it back we talked for a few minutes and he made fun of my haircut. I think he passed away a year or two after that.

21. I would have to say no. There's alot of stuff,pictures not before seen,decals,awards,artwork,original drawings of the cars before they were built,etc. It would be great if all the cars were there with this stuff,but they are all spread out. Peterson would be my first choice. I would hate to see it all split up on ebay. Darryl wants to keep it all together.
    I spent about 4hrs with him Friday,after work. We talked about all the stories and went through a little of everything.
    I finally got to ask him who pinstriped my Schwinn Stingray,when I left it there overnight. He said,definately VonDutch. His dad would have never done that to my bike without me asking him.
    Darryl's older brother,Howard(Reno,now deceased) told me once about a guy who brought his '57 Chevy pick-up in to be pinstriped. VonDutch striped it AND the lawnmower and edger that was in the bed! Wonder what happened to those,haha!

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember reading that BD was teaching at the university of Utah and challenging students to be creative using things like trikes, wagons, etc.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

23. SUCIO

SUCIO

That was a great article. Good lesson in history right there.

24. One Finger John

One Finger John

Wasn't he also a black belt in jujitsu or judo?

25. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Interesting column, I've always been a Roth fan, its always fun to catch a glimps into the personal life of an icon such as Ed. I think a museum would be must see for any kulture fan, it could start the rat fink reunion all over again. Thanks for posting the link Bob.....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  26. pinman 39

pinman 39

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ed had a positive effect on more kids growing up in the 1960's than he'd ever know. My Dad took me to NYC to see the Hot Rod show in 1962, still have the program, Rat Fink and Biker Fink are in the basement. Was it "The Outlaw" that had the Civil War saber for a shift lever?

Attached Files:

28. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Cool article ! Thanks for posting. Big Daddy is truly an automotive icon that IS sorely missed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. i met big daddy at the cleveland autorama in about 2000 and told him that he inspired me to build cars when i was 12 through the 1964 book how to build custom cars.he said" i forgot about that book.ha,ha,ha..".it brought a tear to his eye that somebody was influened by it.what a great, humble,and decent human being.
    truly a class act.