Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Valve covers and PCV etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For my 36 sedan I would like to run a pair of vintage 6 fin Cal custom valve covers on my new SBC 350. I,m talking about the type with no oil fill caps or breather holes.

I can probably have a hole bored in the front of my new Edelbrock to install an oil fill tube and breather like the old 283 had.

After that, what do I do for a PCV ?

Does anyone have a diagram of where it is best to hook up the following ?

1) PCV
    2) Vacuum for power brake booster (under floor)
    3) Vacuum for distributor.

Thanks if you can steer me in the right direction.

2. pecker head

pecker head

Many threads on this , do a search !

3. My sentiments exactly. For ease of installation get an in-line PVC for a corvette and use the corvette filler neck. Done deal. Look at an old chiltons for the way it should be set up.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Search Nazi :p Thanks for nothing.

5. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

LOL. X2 the response fits the screen name.

6. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Drill the intake and install a vintage style breather tube and filler cap then run a pcv off of that, Not only will it work it will look vintage.

7. kelzweld

kelzweld

Your vaccuum lines can be hooked to manifold or carb

8. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Almost hate to ask, but with the 'old style' 283 which has the draft tube, can the PCV be installed in place of the draft tube (same place), with an adapter, of course, then just use a breather cap on the oil-fill tube?

9. Yes, you can do that. There is a Chevy part that replaced the draft tube that allows for a hose connection. They came on 283/327 engines in about '63 to '67 or so. You could cut a draft tune off the block fitting and weld a small tube to the block fitting.

Charlie

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first 35 times that you write a long explanation about this often misunderstood subject it's not so bad but after a while it gets old. Taking up bandwidth to rewrite stuff that is already been hashed out and is in print on the HAMB is a waste. If I'm a search Nazi for directing a questioner to all the info already on this board then so be it. It's not like he refused to give an answer.

[​IMG]
    First Chevrolet PCV system with parts available from the Chevelle parts house.

11. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Thank you Tommy. I've seen this topic and asked about it on multiple occasions, but this is the first time I've seen this picture. It is exactly what I've been 'searching' for. Parts ordered.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first 3o some times I responded to this question I did not have this picture but it's on the HAMB somewhere. It saves a lot of typing.:D

13. cvfd63jr4

cvfd63jr4
    from delmont

Hey guys I got a question I have a 350 sbc and the kid I bought it off of was not the smartest kid. So I want to double check his work he has the breather on the drivers side and the pcv on the passenger is this right? if so I keep seeing almost like steam come out from the breather now correct me if im wrong but shouldnt the breather pull air n not push out so it makes me think that they are backwards? thanks

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

makes me think your engine has blowby issues..or gasket issues if that is steam rather than oil vapor.

15. cvfd63jr4

cvfd63jr4
    from delmont

it might be oil vapor im not sure thats why i wasnt sure if the breather and pcv need to be switched

16. yes and no. Yes you can plug the PCV into the road draft tube, but no you cannot use the breather on the filler neck all it will ventilate that way is the lifter valley. You need to use a breather on the rocker cover so that it will ventilate the crank case.

Common practice is to use the road draft tube for the PCV and then put 90 degree breathers on the rocker covers, like a moon or offy type of breather.

In the past I have said yes and yes, then I think it was traditions racing or maybe one of my other older friends that explained it to me and I said, "Well duh." I just wasn't thinking it through.

By the way I still think that the search function works wonders and I am not a search Nazi. That said I can guarantee that this time it would have netted bad information from me.

17. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Off topic I know but does anyone else think those early 327 are just the best stock non aluminum valve covers ever!

18. Hey there, Benno. I hear what you're saying, but isn't that basically how GM did it prior having the PCV in the valve cover?

19. cvfd63jr4

cvfd63jr4
    from delmont

If it is vapor so they still need to be switched?

20. Does not matter which side they are on as long as they are on opposite sides. Just make sure the PCV valve is the correct one and is functional.

If you feel the vapor is excessive, maybe the engine is getting a little loose.

You can always remove the breather and run a tube to the air filter housing
    as was done OEM. You won't see the vapor anymore; but you may have to
    change your filter more often.

21. rpol7966

rpol7966

The picture that is posted here shows a pre 1968 engine. Chevy engines 1968 and newer DID NOT have the hole machined in the rear of the block for the fitting that the hose attaches to.
    In previous threads on this topic, there is reference to intake manifolds being drilled adjacent to the left side of the distribitor. This hole was tapped and a fitting attached for the hose. If this is done, you have to be sure that the hole is in a position that only accesses the lifter valley.
    By drilling this hole you can vent for a PCV on a later block without having to destroy vintage valve covers.
    Here are some pictures of an original '67 283 PCV setup. It's pretty simple, but it uses an intake that is machined for a front oil fill tube that has a vented cap.

Some '67 327 engines had a closed PCV system. The road draft tube location was routed via a hose to the base of the air cleaner. The PCV valve was threaded into a bung on the oil fill tube and a hose ran from it to an inlet in the base of the carburetor. This system was cleaner in that the fumes were cycled back through the carburetor's air/fuel stream.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  22. cvfd63jr4

cvfd63jr4
    from delmont

Ok thanks the vapor doesn't bother me just wanted to make sure I see alot of people qithpcv valve on the drivers side