Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skippycraig, Dec 26, 2011.

1. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Started on my chevy truck build and thought some pictures would be fun.

Attached Files:

2. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Glad to see that you are going to run fenders.

3. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Lucky I have couple of nice sets of fenders or it would have to be a bobber pickup with a dropped axle. I'm making a crossmember for the trans tonight. I hope to post a couple of past photos each post until I get caught up with current progress.

Attached Files:

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might want to reinforce or change those door posts, if they haven't been done yet. The door posts are one of the weak points in the 36 cab.

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

cool project! im going to be watching this one.. i just picked up a 36 chevy too... still looking for some parts.. but ill be starting that project soon!

6. jarhead

jarhead

What vehicle is that rear axle from? Six lug?...

7. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Thanks! BadLuck these little 36 lowcabs are really fun with the small windshield and side glass. My friend has a 3 inch chop on his model A and our glass is about the same height.
    The rear axle is a 67 nova 10 bolt thats 5 x 4 3/4 bolt patern. the width was perfect to run a stardard backspace wheel up to about 7inch, drum to drum 57 3/4.

Attached Files:

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

heres mine.. i have the frame, bed, and rear fenders too.. need to find front fenders, running boards and the grill... cant wait to start on it! i might be asking you some questions soon :)

Attached Files:

9. jarhead

jarhead

Thanks for the info...

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Unless you are 5'3" you should redo the firewall and floor board to maximize the leg room. It made a huge difference on mine as far as comfort goes. I will see if I can find the pictures when I did mine....

11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

What kind of parts do you need? I have a few laying around...frame, running boards, etc.....:) Ok people, I was giving my buddy a bad time regarding his parts that I have for him. I really dont have any parts for sale....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one. I like them old chevys and had a 36 chevy truck awhile back.

13. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Trying to get the build caught up to where im at now so here is a little suspension. This is the crossmember Fatman made, they don't offer an ultralow crossmember for 1934-37 trucks. I called them and they made one for me (great people to deal with), with the a-arms flat and dropped spindles my tires tuck with stock ride, and with the crossmember tucked up it's real hard to tell I have a mustang 2 and not traditional dropped axle.

Attached Files:

14. Looking good pal! It's about time you started a thread, ha!

15. BadLuck

BadLuck

haha! you have my list! load it all up on the trailer when you come down, and you gotta sell at "Utah" prices.. no marking them up because youre in So Cal!

16. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Mike your 34 thread was the reason I started this. I still have my 34 pickup just waiting in the rafters for next winter. Anyway thanks for the many ideas and thanks for the great wood. HA hA

Attached Files:

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

From the look of the lower arms it seems like youre gonna run on coils, so is that on your avatar the actual static stance? if so, PROPS! thats extreme.

18. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Yep coil sprung, I like to run a little stiffer springs like 400 lbs and good shocks. Just look out for manhole covers. Bags are for groceries.

19. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Gives me a little inspiration to keep plugging away on my 35 high roof...

20. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Mo hair is what I'm hoping to cover the seat in. I walked around several boneyards with my tape looking for something wouldn't have to cut down or smelled like an ashtray. 45 inches wide and is exactly the same size as the original base and super thin back without all the plastic junk that makes it look modern. $30 at the boneyard and doesn't look like anyone has ever sat in it. Third row seat from 90s caravan, best of all folds forward flat then up to give storage under the seat. So far I only have one mole, guessing it will take couple hundred more to cover the whole seat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  21. BadLuck

BadLuck

thats great! i know what seat i have to look for now :) thanks

22. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

Looking good Skippy.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Nice rare truck here, it is looking really great. Looks like a driver soon, Congrats on a cool hot rod! ~sololobo~

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ahah, yeah, once i thought about naming my car manhole scraper....
    If the suspension is designed to ride that low its gonna handle great w/ stiff springs.

25. robertrj

robertrj

Looks good!

What kind of brake and clutch pedal are you using?

I would like to upgrade mine.

Thanks Randy

26. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Rear suspension is coming together, no bind in the travel. Now I'm starting on the notches and crossbar to catch the top of the coilovers. the rear fenders are small with not alot of height to tuck tires so I wont need much notch, maybe just half the rail to give room for a snubber. All the rear suspension pieces came unwelded from welderseries.com. You can save a ton of money and the products are great, they helped me with the transmount for the T5 and had great ideas.

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  27. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Just looking thru the camera and found two old pictures, the pickup was a blast and I never should have sold it and the wagon went to a wonderful home in NJ with Big Al Liebman.

Attached Files:

• 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      408.3 KB
      Views:
    • 295.jpg
      295.jpg
      File size:
      489.5 KB
      Views:
  28. lawman

lawman

You have that right !!! After just a short ride in my Grandson's 38 Chevy truck I'm sore for three days !!! But I'm 6' 220 lbs and the cab has been channeled down 71/2" in the front and 3" in the back. LOL

29. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Tonight started work on the upper coilover crossmember, it's also going to link the frame notches together. The entire assembly comes off as a unit for now and will be completely welded before I start to cut on the frame. I think my 250lbs coilovers set at 15 degrees off vertical should be just the ticket for the little truck but I'm going to install a mounting point sleeve at vertical just in case the rear is to soft.

Attached Files:

30. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Had my cousin Puke (who he is not what he does) sit in the truck and make sure column was in correct location before I make a column drop. Was pretty late lots of beverages think he was getting ready to grab 2nd gear.

Attached Files:

• 395.jpg
      395.jpg
      File size:
      498.5 KB
      Views: