Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Pontiac Transcontinental - how rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Faust, Dec 26, 2011.

1. T-Faust

T-Faust

Saw one of these in a local boneyard just a little bit ago.Didn't seem very special except for some aluminum trim on rear quarters (similar to '59 Galaxie). Just wondering how rare these were.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

3. T-Faust

T-Faust

It's bad. Sitting in the boneyard a few years.

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

5. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

This from Wikipedia

"
    For 1957, Pontiac applied the Safari nameplate to all of its station wagons in all of its product lines (Chieftain, Super Chief and Star Chief Custom).
    While the high-trim unique 2-door body style was still available, Pontiac added a four-door high-trim version to the Star Chief Custom series mid-year which was named Safari Transcontinental. This half year series featured special exterior trim to set it apart from other Pontiac station wagons. Despite only being on the market for the last half of the 1957 model year, the Safari Transcontinental outsold the special-bodied two-door Safari 1,894 to 1,292."

6. T-Faust

T-Faust

Sorry, didn't take pics. Just looked it over enough to see that it was banged a little from moving it around the yard and the steering wheel was gone.

If you are in RI, it is at Henry's in Blackstone. That was a month, or so, ago.

7. T-Faust

T-Faust

Aside from the aluminum quarters, I didn't see anything very unusal about it. It was NOT the 2 door Safari/Nomad.

8. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

You mean you didn't notice the reclining pass side front seat or the headrest?

9. T-Faust

T-Faust

I just looked it over quick and about it later. I don't even remember if there were seats in it. I wasn't really interested in the car.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you are not interested in it please let those who are know where its located so at least it could be used for parts if its too rough and not get crushed.

11. T-Faust

T-Faust

I posted that above. It is/was at Henry's Auto Parts, Blackstone, MA. It is in their "old car" section. I don't think they have an inventory and might not know if they have it. It was at least a month ago that I saw it last, it has been there about 2 years.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

he did.