Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade tools for bodywork?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Minewithnoshine, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

So I'm finishing the body work on my '32 Ford sedan tonight, and I'm thinking of tools that may help in certain areas. I know everyone makes their own tools to help them along projects, but I'm trying to figure a way of making something that can help me. It's the tight sharp edges along the beltlines, around the windows, anywhere that has crisp definition in curved areas, mainly where I did the chop. I metal worked it and got it pretty damn straight, but I need a slight skim to make it perfect. Any tips or tricks to help in these areas. Sanding blocks aren't going to do much good here from their size. I've been using an inch long piece of hardwood with paper on it to get in some tight areas, but I'm sure someone else along the line has made something to help themselves in this area. Post up what ya got!

2. 333tinman

333tinman
    from MASS.

How about cutting some pieces of pvc pipe up to the shapes you need. use the inside ofthe pipe to find shapes that match your revels. you can keep sharp edge by running i file down them now and again. you can also cut your curved shapes in the same way. merry chirstmas

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

There are some guys on here that have ta;lked about a site called metalmeet I belive, it is a metal working site and is supposed to have a ton of info on tools and how to's. I haven't been on there but I have heard it is a cool site.

4. boldventure

boldventure

5. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

6. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I've got all the metal work done, its the polyester plastic work Im doing now, trying to keep sharp edges is nerve racking. I like pvc idea though for the body line curves yet it acts as s block

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

For small tight areas where you need to sand filler to a chrisp line, try small pieces of Masonite with production paper folded over them. When you think you've got a line/shape you can live with dust it with a lite coat of rattlecan black and let it dry. Study your work and correct anywhere that isn't correct. Be sure to block the repair area until all the black is removed & the repair staight. For areas where you need a clean, chrisp line, say 2'-3' or 4' in length try pulling a piece of masking tape to the center of that line. Now block up to that line at an angle, but not over it. When you think youre close, pull the tape and guide coat the line with rattlecan black, and study your work, correct as necessary.
    Small pieces of balsa wood make good sanding blocks as well.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you seen Durablocks in your local paint store? They are just high density black foam blocks for blocking body work, but the best thing about them is you can cut pieces off the block and sand them in to whatever shape you want. Then you can use sticky back roll sandpaper on em and you are ready to go.

Use your bandsaw or grinder and you can make them fit into any little crevis or beltline reveal. Also, don't be afraid to cut and shape paintsticks or bondo spreaders.

Good luck, -Abone.

One more thing...when you do the rest of the car, score a few sizes of the flexible sanders with the steel rods inside them. They go around the round corners of old car sheetmetal.

9. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Thanks for all the tips guys! I have PLENTY of durablocks, cutting one to size is a good idea, I'll give that a shot.

I have some masonite around here too I'll cut up as well, this should all get me going.

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I was buying blown glass sanding blocks from a work workers supply, smells like a wet fart but shapes to surface being sanded. They come in blocks 36" x 24" and cut with a wood saw. good stuff.