Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Going for Bonneville - Return to cool - VOT / XXO class

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N8B, Dec 22, 2011.

1. N8B

N8B

So my friend and I have been discussing and development a Lakester idea for my return to the Salt in my own car.

In the interim and until I can afford a project of that magnitude I have decided to take my heavily modified 36 Chevy roadster, which is already a survivor, historical race car originally built in the early 40's and work a bit on it and enter it in the VOT class at Bonneville . It will run in the XXO engine class. We will also be aiming for a record shooting for over 180.

This will be done in a, pre 53-ish (regulations for class), Chevy straight 6 block with a Wayne 12 port conversion.

Car will also have some slight additions via re body on the stainless steel skin including a boat tail and aerodynamic fairings, belly pan and aprons.

This will chronicle the build and progress to get us there.

Here is what we started with:You can also see this in the - Neff/Young\thread

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have already started on a bit of work to get it ready but I will chronicle the rest of it here.

Thanks for looking.

N8
    B and B Speed......

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Good luck! I'll be following your build!

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent.... Another six in the mix.....

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Good luck. Have fun. Read the rule book very carefully before heading for Wendover. Almost everything needs to be done to your car.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it brother!!! DO IT!!! Let me know if I can help in some way!!

6. 52pig

52pig

You mean that "cage" won't pass tech? What's the racing world coming to?:rolleyes:

Looking forward to this one Nate! Maybe we'll make it there the same time.

7. N8B

N8B

Thanks guys,

@Rich,
    I realize there will be a lot of work with the car and cage but I am very close with, and have the help and support from, the Burkdoll's, Neff & Zacherson to guide me along the path.

I will post a preliminary sketch of my concept soon.

8. N8B

N8B

Rich,
    I am going to ask you a as a fifth opinion.
    My belly pan can run the entire length of the car right?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As far as I know. Hope to see it there.

10. N8B

N8B

All right guys. Take it easy on me.
    This is a very fast rough sketch of what is in my head as far as the transformation goes.

[​IMG]

11. N8B

N8B

Wheel configuration inspiration.
    [​IMG]

Other rough inspiration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. firingorder1

firingorder1

Better get movin'. Bonneville is less than a year away and so far all you have is a frame and an engine.

13. N8B

N8B

We have started the styling and wood body bucks.
    The body is stainless steel now so we are looking at weight and various options for the skin.
    It also needs to be lowered quit a bit and the drive train gone through and changed, etc.
    I am looking for a Halibrand Champ 301 rear and re designing the rear suspension.

It currently has a Muncie 4 speed in it which will probably stay.

I also need to find a fuel cell a little bit better than the steel barrel that is on there now.

I am at work so I can not read the rule book and the one I have is from last year. Can someone tell me if it has to be full cage or if the roll bars have to be there? (I was thinking Cobra style, double loops, right behind the seats.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm a bike guy but I'm pretty sure (assuming you are going to run SpeedWeek) you will have to have a full cage. I seriously doubt the SCTA would let you run with just a loop behind you. Had a quick look at the record and its 176+. So I reckon you will have to build to that speed. The SCTA doesn't care how fast your car will go. You have to build to the record. The other alternative is USFRA's 130 and 150 club. I believe their rules are a little less stringent than the SCTA.

15. N8B

N8B

I am going full SCTA rules.

I know the record and I am shooting for 180-190.
    I don't want to play unless I set a lofty goal to win.

Tanks for your help and comments "firingorder1"
    They will be dually noted and taken into consideration.

N8

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  16. firingorder1

firingorder1

The 2012 rulebook should be out in early January. Read it carefully and ask questions if you have any doubts. The one thing you don't want to do is arrive in tech at SpeedWeek to find out you can't run. There are many here a lot smarter than me. I would also post a build thread on landracing.com. You will be able to get a lot of help there. The best of luck and hope to see you on the salt in August. God willin' and finances permitting I'll be there.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You almost to copy the pertinent pages of the latest rule book off and blow them up to poster size to put on the wall in the shop for reference. Read, study and ask for clarification when you have a question.

I wanted to use my old cab in a build for Bonneville and as far as I know there is no class for a chopped pickup truck as far as racing on SCTA rules.

18. N8B

N8B

With my friends, that are on the "Tech and Admissions Board", I will be having it tech-ed' along the way to ensure that what is being done is acceptable. Everything will be done by the book and closely monitored by officials prior to arriving on the salt.

Thanks again guys!!!

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

That't the best post I've seen on here in a long, long time. I'll look forward to seeing you on the salt.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The chopped pickup would run as a Comp Coupe. You may need to consider the tires available before going with 19 inch wheels. I doubt you can get by without a cage.

21. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A full cage (3.B) is required per 5.B.5. Also, in the same section is this paragraph "ALL NEW CARS or EXISTING CARS where body modifications are being made shall be submitted to the VOT Category Chair for approval." So, you'd better get your sketch(es) in to the VOT Chair. This is per 2011 SCTA Rulebook. Good luck and See you on the Salt. vic

22. What Krusty said. I read the VOT section last night after reading your thread. GET A RULEBOOK and TALK TO THE CHAIR

23. gas pumper

gas pumper

I would also really think about the wheel and tire issue. Especially since you say you want to be competitive. Small diameter and narrow cross section. The aero penalty of open wheels is one of the biggest challenges you need to deal with.

Use the shortest fronts you can get. You need to plan for this in the chassis design.

24. Adding to the above statement. M&H makes a 22" tall 15" that is a popular front runner.

25. Aim high! good goals. seems like you are chasing Russ Meeks record. He hasn't been out in a couple years. but he hasn't been sleeping either. he (as everyone else) is shooting for 200 on gas.

Attached Files:

26. N8B

N8B

Trent.

I have sent my sketch and preliminary ideas to my friend for initial approval.

Thank you guys for being so helpfull and possitive about this project.

N8

p.s.
    Do you still have that champ rear for sale?????

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  27. I kinda have 2 of them. I say kinda because it is a long story.

28. Russ runs in a different class alltogether. VOT is vintage oval track.

29. Cool Thanks for the info.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing that you probably should consider/do is build the proper cage before ever starting on the body and then build the body to fit the cage while keeping it within the vintage oval track appearance. Make it legal safety wise per the rules and then start on the body to fit the class.