Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

No need to vouch for Joe. He's the best. :D

2. easter

easter

The housekeeper next door was wearing a sprint car T-shirt that said: "East Bay 2010". I found out her son drives a sprinter. However - I told her we used to go to Tampa every February for the spint car races at Plant Field. She said: "Where was that?" Then I showed her some pictures of the sprint cars from the mid 60's and she said: "What are those?" and "Those look like those old Indy cars." and "There's no wings, or safety stuff." Feeling pissed about lost history, sorry for their lack of knowledge, and proud that I was there in the past - I became somewhat satisfied when she said: "Those cars are beautiful!" and "I would love to sit and hear stories about these cars and their drivers." Being Christmas time, I felt like an Apostle spreading the news of a real time in history that appears to have been lost on the majority of the current racers. Even the 15 yr old nephew told her that my stories were really interesting and he'd love to hear more. We felt our time had passed. However, it appears our work has only begun. So, gentlemen, continue to pound the streets and airwaves with the memories of our racing experience. It's not that the young ones don't care, it's just that they don't know. Merry Chrismas everybody!

3. easter

easter

Ok, maybe "Apostle" is a little strong, but at least a decent PR guy.

4. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

easter: There's no wings, or safety stuff." Feeling pissed about lost history, sorry for their lack of knowledge, and proud that I was there in the past .

I've had a few people raise an eyebrow at me when I say that I grew up in an era where a sprint car ( usac , imca, cra, ect.) only had a rollbar. The cars at the local tracks were supermodifieds and then dubbed super sprints. They had rollcages and some tracks allowed the top wing. Most the time they were made of plywood. They morphed from the cutdown coupe stockcars. I've had plenty look at me as if I'm a complete idiot and from mars.

On another note that has nothing to do with anything...everytime you post imca pics I keep thinking of a sat. in 1968. I was 10. I was hanging around the pitgate at New Bremen speedway. They had a open practice free to watch for the next days races. How beautiful those old cars with all the body panels always looked. And one driver that I have no idea who he was, raising hell with one of the imca guys ( with the funny white caps ) about it was outragious to charge 5 bucks just to practice. lol. I miss the old days. Merry Christmas everyone

5. In my experiences some of the ones who do know still do not care about our good times a long time ago. However I am unmoved and I will do as you suggest and 'pound the streets and airwaves with memories' My 27 year old grandson still looks a me kind of funny when I tell him about the 'big cars' roaring around Winchester with no roll cage.

6. RCT

RCT

At the local diecast shop, we get together and are able to fill each other in on various types of racing, even all the way back to board track racing. A few of the members are former racers going back to the early 50s in oval, drag racing, etc. This is another way to keep our memories alive, and inform people of other forms of racing..............Everyone have a safe and very Merry Christmas !

7. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Merry Christmas everyone I pray we're all blessed this coming new year.
    PK

8. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha ha ha! Yeap. Hey, by the way.. did you get that TRACTOR engine in your Hot Rod running yet? :p

(Yes, the one that beat me in the Grass Drags) :rolleyes:

J Shaw

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Very True..

I am 35 years old, and VERY lucky to run with a group of young guys around here that ACTUALLY know there history, but it's rare to find young racers that do. My goofy buddy's and I find ourselves quoting legendary race car drivers, and complementing each other in public (bars) with statements like: "Yeah! Throw her in there PANZER!" only to be looked at in confusion by those around us...
    There is a sweet feeling to be around that, knowing your "Enlightened" compared to many so called "race fans"... but I agree that it needs to be spread. It HAS TO BE SPREAD. We all do our part, and with venues like this the word can be spread in a Non-offensive, "Take-it-in-at-your-own-pace", easy way of "Catching up with the past".

Thanks for all you guys have done here.. I have learned so much, and continue to fill my head Everyday.

Spreading the word verbally is one thing, but to actually get it down in writing, from FIRST HAND accounts is truly priceless! This site "Jalopy Journal" is 17 years old now... It's not going anywhere. It brings me joy to know that for YEARS TO COME, this thread will be here, just like a history book on the shelf that we can all walk over and grab at anytime and check out...
    But the best thing is, This book talks back!

Thanks everyone, Especially RYAN!! (founder)

and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Joshua Shaw

11. john burton

john burton

Merry Christmas everyone. I too miss the old days. I'm "only"66. Dad had a track roadster in the 40's. Ran at Berea, Barberton, once in a while at the Grove. In the 50's he had midgets and built engines for local stocks and supers, ran at Sportsmans Park, Lorain, Midvale. In the 60's he was with the Central Excavating crew, working with Andy Dunlop. I ran SCCA in the 70's, started in midgets in the 80's. then karts in the 90's with my son. and still running those now. So I've seen a lot of racing, never had much talent, but still had a lot of fun. Favorite time was the 60's and 70's. I've got a ton of pictures. Have to get a scanner and get some up here. Quite a few of my pics were in Tom Saal's boon on Andy, and in Len Sutton's book. I've still got my midget...it's a Lafe Roush chassis with a Chevy II. It's the car that was in Open Wheel in May '82. Have to get it out and make some vintage shows next year.
    I love reading this site. It's got so much history, and so many knowlegeable people.
    Best to all in the coming year.
    John Burton

12. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Reading all of this brings me back to the time I was a kid going to the Salem Speedway an all the great drivers I got to see.I'm 73 now an only wish I could return to that time in more ways than one but that will not happen so thank all of you for the memories.

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Came across this picture of IMCA racing in an old copy of a 1970 issue of "Racing Pictorial." One of the drivers in the picture is the father of one of the popular HAMB members. 'Keep up the good work, easter!

[​IMG]

14. racer5c

racer5c

waitng on head gaskets, the "tractor Engine" that blew the doors off your sbc what was it 3 or 4 races? I know I beat everyone there at least twice it hasnt been in the car for a few years it's on the engine stand, this one is faster, or maybe it was more driver than engine

15. sppdbanas

sppdbanas
    from cecil

Thanks for the compliment to my father...love hearing about him. terry banas

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

Terry: When I talk to Gus about the "old days",He lovingly refers to your father as a "Genius"........... John S.:D

17. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

John; e-mail me @ [email protected] Butch Evans

18. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

That team set the bar pretty high for everyone. Do you stay in touch with Gus and do you race now?? Butch

19. sideways27

sideways27

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took the BeckaBert sprint car to Willow Springs over the Thanksgiving weekend to have some fun but a few weeks earler I found out I could not run the dirt tires that I set up for the car as they were too wide and when I placed the belts in the car I found out that I was way too big and could not clear the roll bar with the shoulder harness in place. This is just a little too dangerous as I would have broken my neck if the car should go over even a little tommy tip over. Im not sure if I am going to drive the car as I intended too but may put it on the track next April with a set of 10" wide slicks on asphalt. I am disappointed [​IMG] because I was looking forward to taking this car for a ride, mabey I will just take a chance next year. We had a great time with all the WRA guys and their very nice cars. A special thanks to Laurence Deutsch for taking the time to take some photos of the car.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Buildy

Buildy

Sorry to hear of the problems,but that is one beautiful machine!

21. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

1. Lil Joe Saldana qualifying at Knoxville Ia. 1970, he had quick time 12 out of 18 races. He also set a new track record (20.37) it stood for years.

2. Lil Joe Saldana and Bob Williams at Knoxville Ia. 1970. Williams was track champion 1969.

Attached Files:

22. racer5c

racer5c

0Latest news on Steve Stapp from his daughter
    Bopper is off of the ventilator!!! Now on a trache collar and soon will be talking and eating through the trache. Then they'll wean him down off the trache and then he would be completely off of the support!!! Good days r ahead! Waiting to see if. they still want to move him tomorrow. Thank you for your continued prayers and support of my family. God Bless all of you..

23. Great news. Can you give the email address for either his daughter or Rosemary?

24. racer5c

racer5c

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Oh Man, Build a roll bar to fit YOU and drive that thing!

26. sideways27

sideways27

That is the original frame from 1958 and I was told by the builder’s sister that this was the first USAC frame to have the roll bar as part of the main frame (not a bolt on). AJ Foyt who was close friends with the Becks would come by and ask “Are you girl’s going to race that thing today” So I can not change the roll bar, but I have been thinking about making a bolt on to this roll bar and extending it so it will clear my helmet. It will not look pretty but it should do the job.

27. deuce354

deuce354

Hello Terry, I remember dad when i was a kid. In fact my dad was your dad's first driver[Herb Scott] in 1961, before Gus , When my dad went back to PRA , He recommended Gus to replace him. Tell your mom i said hello. I used to sell National Speed Sport News for your grandpap Joe when is was a kid growing up at all the tracks, Best Wishes Deek Scott

28. The Red Beauty

Attached Files:

29. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

This looks like Bessie Paoli's Springfield Welding Champ car that she sold to Mari Hulman in 1955.
    This car was allegedly cut down and ran as the Leonard Surdam sprint car. Legend has it that after Hank Henry was killed in the car, Carl Adams cut the car up and buried it in the desert! The problem with that story is that this car, purported to be the Springfield Welding Champ car, sold at the Mecum auction in August of 2010. The car possessed the proper Kurtis Kraft serial number (349) and the Offy engine had the correct serial number (132).

30. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I was led to believe at one time that this was the car that Gary Congdon broke in half at the Hoosier Hundred.

Been misled before.