Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks Mike. Any advise on the best wat to deal with the (i think) lead wrap on the leaf springs? Just cut it off?

2. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yea I just cut mine off with tin snips. Or u could use a hammer and chisel. Just wear some gloves cause mine got nasty... Underneath that metal wrap it's coated in burlap and axle grease. I'm guessing Chevy did it to reduce squeaks and stop rusting issues.

3. JVK54

JVK54

Wow and thanks ...Did the metal look brand new underneath?

4. mine, channeled.

Attached Files:

• 124.jpg
      124.jpg
      File size:
      435.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Lucky444

Lucky444

Whoa, that's nice! If you have more pics, please post them up. Profile pic?

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's a '53, but whatever.

Stock front end, cut coils. 10-bolt rear, custom saddles, 1" blocks, and removed a few stock leafs. Sitting on frame in rear, awaiting a notch. Will come down another inch or so. 6.70-15 WWW Bias BFGs.

[​IMG]

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yes, once cleaned up and degreased.. They looked like a brand new spring!

8. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Nice 53! Sorry didn't mean to leave you 53-54 guys out, pretty much the same chassis.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Thanks. Here's a friends old car. He sold it maybe 2 yrs ago, dunno where it is now. Static dropped all the way around but MII up front...

Attached Files:

10. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yep.. That's the pic I'm lookin for, I saw it awhile back on here but could never find it again. Very nice stance! He shoulda held on to that one.

11. JVK54

JVK54

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for!
    Anyway, I'm gonna remove a couple of springs and hope that (with the 3" blocks I already installed ) gets me a drop I can live with before even addressing the front.
    Question- I am currently running the stock shock mounts( stem though he bracket in the body and eye attached to u-bolt anchor plate) . Can anyone recommend a replacement shock that is set up this way with adequate compressed/expanded lengths for a lowered application like I'm running?

12. JVK54

JVK54

Well, it's getting there. Dropped the nose a bit today.
    [​IMG]

13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

come on josh, dont leave them hanging. this car is a work of art:)

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Thats just teasin!! put up some more pics please:D:D:D

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

She finally saw the light of day today!!!!!!!!! Got the new engine turned over ,started ,and drove her out of my shop for some good pics!I'm a little unhappy with the back , it needs to come down another inch or so. But also the back is dry no cargo in trunk or interior .whatcha think... We don't need no stinking bags! ImageUploadedByTJJ1324672199.888271.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1324672280.669759.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1324672369.366151.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1324672475.128057.jpg

JalopyJimbo, Grumpy and spr85gmc like this.
  17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

damn the lady is low!! i agree with another inch down in the back, but youve got one BEAUTIFUL chevy! We definately dont need no stinking bags!

18. That's a beautiful looking motor!

19. Lucky444

Lucky444

Yup, what they said. Would like to see more please.

Attached Files:

• 124.jpg
      124.jpg
      File size:
      367.9 KB
      Views:
  20. JVK54

JVK54

Looking good Matt! I agree that the back could come down a bit. I always love Chevy's dragging tail at least a bit..Right now the stance is kinda like my 54 Buick...about as LOW as you can go on the roads around here without bags and pretty level*. If I remember correctly you are running 3" blocks with 2 springs removed in the rear and 3"cut coils with dropped uprights up front?..What if you went back to the stock uprights with the cut coils and left the rear alone? Whatever you do that is a really sweet Chevy.
    *Apologies for posting Buick in a Chevy thread but this is what I mean. 3" cut coils back and front. The Buick is a totally different animal to lower than my Chevy.
    [​IMG]

21. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Man! Your Buick is perfect! Very nice IMO. On my Chevy , I'm thinking it should level out once I get the weight of the rear seat,full gas tank,spare tire,jack and and small tool box in there. But if not I'll pull another leaf. I really like how the tire and wheel looks in the front fender... So I really don't want to mess with the front.

23. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I hope yall don't mind a '46 pic. It is bone stock other than the stance(and paint and gadgets). It has custom 4.5 blocks in the back and torched coils up front, it rides excellent, other than needing a notch, BUT I WANT IT LOWER it's not nasty low enough!!! I've owned several bagged cars and swore I wouldn't do it again, but I ordered a Gambino notch, and was about to order all the bag crap YESTERDAY, until I saw this thread, NOW I"M TORN, PLEASE HELP! SOMEBODY STOP ME!
    It will be lower, somehow, but I really didn't want to cut up this absolutely rust free beautiful stocker...................that's a whole other argument
    Any Ideas on how to notch the frame without cutting the trunk? I've got some 5" pipe I can cut in half, it's the reinforcement I need to get creative with.
    The 46-48 frame is basically the same as the 49-54. Thou shalt not baggeth thy car my son, shall thee or not?

Attached Files:

JalopyJimbo likes this.
  24. Special Ed

Special Ed

I don't understand all this "anti-bag" sentiment here on the HAMB.... I had a buddy who threw 4 one-hundred pound BAGS of portland cement in the trunk of his '52 Chevy to get the ass-end down, back in the mid-sixties. And he was not alone. BAGGING a car might just be a lot more traditional than you had ever imagined...:)

25. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

It is a top hat frame. I have about 2-3 inches of travel until the axle hits the frame.

26. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

27. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

54 cruzer... Man that's a sweet Chevy u got there! If it were me I would just get it as low as I could first. Drive for a while and see how u like it,if u want to bag it ... You can always go back and do it. I step notched mine in the back and I have tons of travel now. But like I said in the beginning , nothing against bags, I've owned 2 cars with them. On my 51 I just wanted the suspension more simple.

28. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Here's mine. Dropped leaves, 4 inch blocks, Gambino notch in the rear. Cut coils up front.

Attached Files:

29. Stock suspension with 1.5 loops outta the front coils and home made 4 inch rear blocks..rode good adn seldom bottomed out.

Attached Files:

30. joe little

joe little
    from UK

heres mine from sunny England, also used Droplords guide for stepping the a arms and took 1 coil out. Rear has 2" blocks and 2 leaves removed, still needs more and id really like some taller tyres.

Matthew Mcglothin what size wheels and tyres do you have? your car looks killer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers Joe