Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got a dream car of mine 1960 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Dec 23, 2011.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I've always wanted one of these and I finally found one at a price I could afford. It will need alot of work but it will be worth it. I also got a parts car with it, it's a 62 does anyone know if they share the same frame? Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it. Merry Christmas to me!!!:D

[​IMG]

2. Congrats, I've always liked those cars.

3. jazzbum

jazzbum

one of my someday rides. jealous, that thing looks real nice.

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

If it makes you feel better the picture makes it look alot nicer than it is. The PO cut the floors out to make it a drag car. Lucky for me he wasn't a hack and it is very repairable.
    Anyone have a good source for parts?

5. wizzard23

wizzard23

Rode to high school in one very simular to yours!

6. Parts: Ecklers, Impala Bobs, ChevyChevy.com. Also, Chevytalk.com has a dedicated 58-60 message board. Good luck with your project. Todd

7. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

That's what i am talkn' about!

8. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Welcome to the '60 club!

It's nice to see another Biscayne being saved. There is a couple good threads here full of various '60s.

As far as parts, it's getting better, but '59-'61 are still the red-headed step children of the Chevy world.

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

So I'm finding out in my research, kinda suprising to me In figured everything would readily available. Lucky for me all the chrome is in good shape and the one bent up piece on the hood there is a replacement part in the car. The only thing missing is the trim on the pass. side rear of the car that goes with the truck lid trim.

Thanks Tugmaster, I might be in touch for a harness for this car I haven't gone through it yet but if the wiring is suspect I'll be replacing it.

10. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

11. belair

belair

Congrats-I miss my 60 hardtop. That will make a neat car.

12. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Nice find, pretty sure the frames are the same in 62.

13. 1960impala283

1960impala283

Nice! Frames are basically the same as later models, other than bumper mounts and such. Not a direct fit, but very similar. There are boxed or channel types in all years. 1958 is the wierd one. No panhard rear bar, third link type, and a little shorter. I switched my channel type 60 frame for a boxed type.

14. Sauli

Sauli

Like "1960Impala" said, the frames may be the same 119" wheelbase between the years of ´59-64, but not a direct fit.
    As for the floors, I´ve bought something similar from CARS Inc in Michigan before. I was happy with their knowledge, service and product and would recommend them.

15. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

frames style same '58 - '64, wheelbase only difference.

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Nice ! I have always loved 60 chevys! whats the plan for it?

17. lawman

lawman

Very nice ride !!!! Do I smell a tri-power 348 some day?

18. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

58-64 are all called X frame cars, for obvious reason. Might be a little tough to use a 2 post lift.

19. They reproduce a complete floor pan for about $650-700, look on Rock Auto, Shermans, etc. Also replacement floor sections. 59-60 frames are the same, 61-64 have some of the body mounts in diff locations as well as height, ask me how I know.

20. Have used my 2 post many times, as with everything, you have to check, double check the contact points on the frame.

21. raidmagic

raidmagic

So what am I up against to put this car on that frame? I saw those floor pans looks like a pretty cool deal.

That would be awesome but I don't think my wallet will allow that.:D Maybe later down the road I could put something like that together.

22. raidmagic

raidmagic

Right now getting it swapped to the other frame and then cutting out and replacing the rust that's in it. Not much but I'd like to get all that taken care of before I put a drivetrain in it. I have to remove the rear window to repair some small spots that are on the side of it. I'll be asking some questions in the near future on that.

23. That's a nice start. Since you're in FL, you might wanna check out Eckler's... LateGreatChevy.com since they're in FL, also. They have a full floor pan for your '60 for $680, as well as other body parts. Don't know how close you are to them, but still ought to be a quick ship.

24. 4psi

4psi

Santa brought you your dream car? Awesome man! It looks like a good one to start with it!

-Charlie

25. Cool on that! You should have no problem with an x-frame but I will warn you beforehand launches on those eleven second runs tweak it alittle .... but in a nice way <wink>! Good Luck

26. Sauli

Sauli

What´s wrong with the frame underneath of it now, and how extensive is the corrosion on the body lowers, if You don´t mind me asking?

27. Impala Bobs outstanding servce and great parts I have a 60 olds two door post

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

There are only small rust spots no real rot it's really solid. The frame issue isn't rust the previous owner cut the stock frame off at the firewall and what appears to be a truck frame with a 6 lug rearend is in it's place. It's not a bad job but I don't think that this frame will allow me to put the right floors and rear seats back in it and I want to be able to put the kids in the car.

29. Santa32

Santa32

30. thats a nice ride:D i have a 63 buskit puttinin a 4 bolt 350 with a pair of humps and a th 350 wished mine was a 2 door:cool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011