Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth, It's time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 3, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thanks Hogman, I would have to agree with the body lines on the Plymouths looking great!

bonez, thank you! Yeah, this build is turning out to be really fun. I haven't had any major challenges and time is on my side.

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Update: She BREATHES!!! Yes, I went and filled her up with fluids, double checked everything, turned the key over and she fired right up!!! I still have to do exhaust and glass, but she drives great right outta the gate. Haven't checked the timing, or adjusted the carb at all, she just fires, idles and runs- well!

She has been in the garage this whole time, so when I say she's on the road, she literally is, for the first time in 50 years!!! Trans shifts well, suspension is smooth, etc. Next is to pound out some dents, do some metal work and have some glass cut :) ....I still have a lot to do, but this is a milestone for sure. I can actually drive her in and out of the garage, and park on the street- wow! ... GNRS her we come!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    EVL401 likes this.
  3. mattfink

mattfink

Man you nailed the chop, stance etc. Sick car!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see the car Rich, looks awesome. Hope to see it in real life next year!

5. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

looking great bro!!

6. skooch

skooch

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thanks Eric, we should be presentable by then!

Damn, you have a nice coupe yourself, way to go!!

Thanks skooch! for being hard to find years, we have a pretty good supply of 40-41's here on the HAMB. Nice car!

8. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

What application are your wheels from? or did you have them made?

9. skoh73

skoh73

Congrats on the first ride! That has to be a great feeling. Keep up the good work and thanks for the update pics.

10. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

it is getting there bro... thanks! being finished as we speak. Will post pics with the finished project in a few months

11. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

15x7 ford steelies, painted. BFG 15-600 tires.

I was running Coker G-78 15 tires, but was having fender clearance issues. I thought the 600s were going to be too small, but they look great to me.

12. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Thanks for the info, and your car looks super sweet you nailed it...So what year and model ford are the wheels from?..Im looking at like 1990 crown vic wheels.

13. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

SLMLRD, she's lookin great! Hey, did you have to do any floor reworking to fit the 904?
    I'm comptemplating a mopar A500 4 speed auto{basicly a 904 with a 4th OD gear} and wonder how it'd fit.

..oh, maybe try and save some of the unwanted leftover stock parts for us...would yah? The steering shaft to floor boot/cover is a bitch to find.

14. Pnzrdvsn

Pnzrdvsn
    from Escondido

Nice ride, looks like good work. I got 39 Chrysler pretty similar to the Plymouth, chopped mine 4 1/2 . Gonna run a bb. 727 and 8 3/4. Still doing frame work to mine, would love to see yours in person. Maybe you can take the cruising grand sometime when it starts up again.

15. mcisneros

mcisneros

HA!! so this is why it took you so long!!!!!!! ;)

posting updates on the hamb!!!!!!!

love you

16. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Hahahaha!

17. pseudo121

pseudo121

18. pseudo121

pseudo121

Did you do the Chop yourself? or did you have someone? Im looking to get my 40 plymouth chopped as well..

19. bmharold

bmharold
    from ahron,oh

I bought a 41 p 12 coupe a year ago. installed a heidts mustang II ifs this was a chalenge but WORTH IT. I went to a yard and measured every decent rearend in the joint. what fits best is a ford explorer 8.8, comes with discs too.I cut the oe spring mounts off and tacked them on to the 8.8 for location and measurements ride height etc . then threw a pete and jakes four bar under it. you can tub or put skinnies on it .mopar a body 8 3/4 works but expensive, but if you have one do it to it .I found no new spring mounts proper size anywhere so if you are using oe springs cut them off carefully and put em on the new housing loose snug brackets center housing in body[remember drv shft offset] set pinion angle tac weld remove and weld 1" at a time stagger side to side to prevent heat warp . now you probably knew most of that.oh ya shackle plates will require mods.no luck loading pics here but I can email them . bmharold 41@ yahoo.com can you dig a 5.7 hemi

20. speed v8

speed v8

looking great, nice work!

21. jbh

jbh

Here's my 40 with a 2" cut. Just laid the rear window down. Oh, and a 68 "C" cody 8.75 rear fit and didn't even require moving the spring perches. Jay

22. jbh

jbh

oops

Attached Files:

23. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Awesome stance SlmLrd, looking good

24. zombie77

zombie77

Was wondering if you could give me some pointers on the rear chop I like the shape of your windows your chop keeps the classic lines other chops I have seen have to much sail pannels and looks to extreme for me I was wondering if you moved the rear pannel behind the rear window forward did not see that in the pics and if you did how much did you move the catwalk forward thank you

25. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thanks a bunch everyone! Did some metal work last night, and making progress everyday!!

PMed you chop info :)

Thank you sir!

Looks great Jay

Thank you!!

I PMed you with some chop info as well, let me know what you think.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Happy New Year Rich!

27. 50bomb

50bomb
    from Lodi CA

looking good! i decided to give my 41 a haircut, should be done in a few weeks.

28. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

29. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Nice!! Good looking car you have there. Post some pics!

30. domepiece

domepiece

Very nice chop on the coupe. I love the lines of the 40-41 plymouth. especially the little body lines on the fenders. I wonder if that front clip and rear fenders would bolt onto my 48 plymouth business coupe? hmmmmmm. i might have to look into that.