Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Assuming your referring to the rears
    They look like 10" slots on inside out to me

2. 65COMET

65COMET

I got one of the adjustable lower control arms fabbed up and installed.I lengthened it about 1/4" and ran it through its travel,only saw 1/2 degree of camber change.I did not have the wheels/tires on so I could not measure toe in changes.Hope to have the other side done and installed and get the wheels on so I can really see if all this work has helped! ROY.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Dang Roy! Sounds like we both had a wrench session today! Did you throw any tools like me?

Looks like my car will not be transbrake-equipped. At least not on this go-around.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;NO,I didn't throw anything,did burn my left hand though.I was cutting some 3/16 plate with a cutoff wheel,had gloves on but did not pay attention to where the sparks were going.I set the back of the glove,NYLON WEB,on fire,melted to the back of my hand!!! Said a few choice words,didn't even throw the glove!!!!I'm getting some ALL LEATHER gloves to wear while cutting steel!!!! ROY.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

ec164;I was looking for an adjustable[length]lower control arm,could not find one,so I designed and built my own.I'm no engineer but if anything my design is over engineered strength wise!We shall see! ROY.

6. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Can anyone help edumacate me on my options with a "case fill" C-4 versus a "pan fill" C-4?

Fellow racer, and diehard Blue Oval man, dirty Ernie the Attorney ponied up for me one of his ultra-trick trans-braked C-4's, to throw into the Comet, in place of my case fill C-4. What are my options for a pan fill tube or dipstick?? The case portion that attaches to the bellhousing has an extra ring of mounting holes, but my small diameter bellhousing bolted right up. Issues???

I'm a bit cornfused, remember, still learning the "subtle" nuances of what interchages whats does not routine with SBF's, so bear with me.
    Thanks guys!

Dale

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Trade it back to Ernie for his Jerico and stick that third pedal in the Rocket!!!!! I'll make a call tomorrow and see if I can get you the interchange on the C-4 pieces.Damned slush boxes!!!!! ROY.

8. Merritt

Merritt

Roy, Any chance of a picture of the new control arm? Merritt

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;I'll try and get some after I finish welding them and then on the Comet.It may take a week or so as I'm having my steering box rebuilt.Ken Godsey[Mercuryjunky]called and told me Ron Morris makes an adjustable lower mount.Very similar idea but you need to use his strut rods too,and they are 4-6 weeks out! ROY.

10. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy
    If you want to fab your own adj strut rods, its easy enough to do. Most big cities have at least 1 or more large big truck repair & supply facilities that can build leaf springs & make U-bolts to order. That means they can usually also roll left & right hand threads. Simply cut your stock strut rod in half, have one side threaded right & the other threaded left (about 4 1/2" on each side). A right & left tube end, right & left jamb nut, a short piece of tube and you can make an 8" adj link (like a 4-link bar). The pieces to make the link are available from any chassis parts supplier. It will make front end alignment a breeze. Mike

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;thanks for the information.I have enough caster,it is the camber I'm after.Later model Fords had adjustable strut rods too besides the adjustable lower control arms. ROY.

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

WINTER DIET

Got my car Half apart. Working on dropping a 100 lbs out of mine. I 'll let you know how it goes.

Going for my NHRA license next year, so upgrades and Top Secret mods are my Winter time fun.

Did weigh my Radirs for fun

My Race set

Fronts 15 x 4 Radir with the M/T ET DRag front runner 25.50 lbs

Rear 15 x 10 Radir with M/T 29.5 x 10.5 ET Drag 47.00 lbs

My Show set

Fronts 15 x 4 Radir with 560/15 Firestone Pie Crust Style 32.25 lbs

Rear 15 x 8 Radir with 10 x 15 Radir/ M/T Pie Crust Slick 62.00 lbs

My Howards wheels re makes

Fronts 15 x 4 Howard /Steel 560/15 Firestone Piecrust 36.5 lbs

Rear 15 x 8 Howard /Steel 10 x 15 Radir M/T Piecrust slick 64.50 lbs

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;HOLY CRAP,I don't think all four of my wheels and tires weigh 64.5 pounds!!!!!!What are you running for axles to take that load?WOW!!!You might need some of that "GOOD MOONSHINE" added to the tank or Hydrazine,ask Hubert for the formula and keep Fast Eddie,Dale and Eric away from the fuel cell!!!!! ROY.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Interesting weights on the combos, Ken!

What size are your ET fronts?? The race set-up?

Thanks!
    Dale

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

10 inches of snow on the back porch and still snowing. Cant even get to the Garage. ARRGG !!

16. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken, don't feel bad, I can't even see the back of my Ranger, and that 210lb Mastiff's nuts are draging in the snow!!

17. It's crap down here to, Damn Calif Guys are still Drag Racing and wearing shorts!

18. Ken:

Stop eating at McDonalds Big Boy! Remember our diet plan, 40 lbs. by the Vegas Race!!!!!

19. Dale: You gonna do the Mopars at the Strip show in April???

20. Somebody gots a Racing Problem!!!!! lol!!

[​IMG]

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That must be the Bitter Moonshine Face. Ha Ha If I remember right that was the Homemade Oklahoma Drag Racing Punch. 10 different flavors on that table, I was hurting after tasting the third Jar. Good stuff except for that mystery Jar, Whoa Lost some Taste Buds on that one.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I think that was the jar they were soaking ball bearings in!!! What a FACE!!!!! ROY.

23. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Detroit Michigan is dry no snow yet with 42 deg. Not bad for the first day of winter. Sounds Like You All out in Colorado are doing good on that Comet Diet Program!~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

24. Yeah was 50 here yesterday. I am sure cold and snow are around the corner though.:) Time to get the sleds out.:cool:

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Not to complain but it was 65,Sunny and WINDY here on the Central Coast of CALIFORNIA,where a beat down 52 year old shack costs WAY TOO MUCH!!! ROY.

26. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Yeah Dave.Better yet,sold my Cougar today.Guy from Pa.Came and got it.
    The hunt for a Comet begins.Kubas tells me you have a barn full of em Dave!
    Time you thought about parting with one!?!

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Nice day here too, albeit windy as well. I won't be making the Mopar Show, guys. Bummed for it, but after checking all the dates, I have a conflict, and cannot back out of what is happening.

I received the new radial MT slicks. Interesting, they are rated as "tubeless". Thats a weight savings! They are pricier than standard slicks, but without the purchase of tubes, its a push. Check out where they are made too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

And these found a new home tonight as well. The Bowtie light seems to be a bit more dim!!
    [​IMG]
    There IS a Windsor buried in there somewhere!!!!

Dale

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;those are great for Stock Eliminator racing,I hope they work for you! Be kind to them,Eric only got 26 passes out of his,M/T said that was 'GOOD',WTF!!!! The offer still stands for that "SMOKIN DEAL" on that stroker W crank!!! ROY.

30. I ran MH ET streets on my t-bird and sons stang. No tubes and no problems, we have about 40 passes on them and they are half way. We only do a small burnout and I'm sure they are a different compound. Kind of cool to drive around town on them as they are a slick, not togood on the corners and in the rain. :)
    Roger