Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any ideas on how to hide an independent front suspension on a 34 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danshotrod, Dec 18, 2011.

1. The traverse spring would give it a willys look. I think the wagons in about '48 or '49 had that setup.

I suppose full fenders no chrome and way down in the dirt would help. At least it would get it on the road until the OP could afford to change it back to an I beam.

Don,
    If I ever got ugly with you make sure you remind me of this post. Or I guess you goud just tell me to F off that will remind me if this post. ;)

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Personally, like most on here, I love the looks of a solid axle car. However, I totally think it could be done. Like Metalshapes eluded to with a bit of Euro road racer influence. You could use the MII spindles and rack, and ditch the rest. Scratch build two lower airfoil control arms, and fashion adjustable upper links that look really factory 40's 50's racecar, cast looking.... longitudinal torsion bars with arms pressing on the lower "wings". Maybe even a transverse leaf that rides on rollers off the lower control arms.

This would definitely dictate the rest of the car's styling. So there.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

By not doing it Gary:confused:

4. Hell Beaner - it's not like I was wrong on this one. :rolleyes:

5. But one of us may be. :D

Right now I know three people in the world that have the right attitude, You and us. :D:D:D

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you have a really nice start to a great build!

Why not just weld in an original front cross member or an after market one like this...

http://ascrails.com/images/34_front_xmember.jpg

For the money you would get for the MII components you could easily pick up the rest of the front end components from the classifieds here and change the whole look of that car. Well worth it, in my opinion. (nothing personal to those of you who have IFS)

Just brace the frame real good before you cut out the MII cross member and away you go! Maybe I'm an optimist, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult. Sure, a lot of cutting, but it looks like the original frame is in good condition under all that. Use it! No need to make it complicated by grafting a 32 front frame and reinforcing it.

It all depends on what you really want. It's all just labor, time, and parts.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's some inspiration for you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I'm pretty much with you on this Scootermad. I was just of the impression that he either needed to use the ifs or wanted to.

It is not a major job to undo what has been done. Certainly easier than starting with a pair of rails and going from there and fellas do that all the time.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... Don't know. One this is for sure, around here, even though there are a few people running IFS, the majority will say, "lose it! Fix it!" That's just the way things are around here.

I might have missed the bit about trying to use what's there. Sorry if I missed a detail. If that is the detail... maybe the pics above will change his mind?? :D

I personally think 33/34's look beautiful with a straight axle smiling out from underneath. But that's just my personal taste...

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

POST 58
    Looks like a good decision to me Dan! :D

Bet you can easily resell the old setup to someone who wants a more modern suspension.

11. My Model A has a big ol' Moon tank in front of the radiator shell to mask the looks of the polished manual R&P and my skinny looking painted tubular control arm are painted body/chassis color to further tone down the effect.
    Nobody has whined openly to me about the look and I too got no fenders.

12. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

13. It just goes to show that there are still a lot of folks with good manners. :D

14. Sounds like a bad idea. I vote for solid axle...

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Early cars look like shit, with an IFS.

17. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

Let me see..............only one place I can think of that you could stick it.....

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Just start cutting off that IFS crap off, all ready!!!!

19. FWIW I can't place my finger on it, but I seem to remember once seeing a Harry Bradley sketch wherein he sketched an IFS that looked exactly like a straight axle set-up and the pivot joints were inside the grille-hold area...but...I could be wrong. :eek:

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the whole point of hot rodding was to have a go fast and look kool doing it i dont get it

21. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Hide it with a cutting torch and a shovel. In the mean time a long curtain would work.

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

No way to hide it ,But to be period correct You must use a corvair front suspension

23. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

Pulled the body off today...Dan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Ya dont do it there ugly and a trend

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

Real easy. DONT put one on it. I think you might want to check out WWW.STREETRODDER.COM I hear it is pretty popular over there.

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

i dunno..i'm real happy with the front end on my track car....i made it something of a feature. A MII front end is something else..very hard to hide and too fugly to expose. IMO

Attached Files:

27. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

ya keep it in the box and put in a dropped axle

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One thing you could do is run fenders. 34's look great with them (ala California Kid). But if you have your heart set on a fenderless car it will be very hard to mask that front suspension.

Don

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Exposed IFS is a bit of an 'oxymoron', a contradiction in terms and too modern for the style you want to achieve, a clash of the 'old' and 'new'

30. Yes, but the race theme works on your car. Very nice.