Register now to get rid of these ads!

History !!FOUND!! Grist Bros. chopped 41 Willys Build updates, History & Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Sep 22, 2009.

1. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder
    from new york

Ether, I have what I believe is the car that Dave Mccauley posted a link to on Ebay from May 2011. Chopped 41 coupe my customer purchased in May from Ebay, can't be too many of them. The floors are gone and the cowl was recessed for a big block leaving about 4" between the back of the dash and the new firewall. I will post pics before we begin to see if anyone has any knowledge of the car...lots of rumors and name dropping on it but no real proof of who/what/where. If there is any way I could get more of your build pictures I would be very appreciative. The cowl was cut back to almost the windshield and looks like it will be the most work.

2. zapp69

zapp69

Just noticed the rear screen, what is it???

Any progress?

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

reading this thread makes me sad =/

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Igosplut

Igosplut

I have a good amount of old car mags of every description, and quite a few later 50s Hot Rods. I'll get up into my attic and see if I can find something on that.......

5. JLGrist

JLGrist

That would be great!

6. Smitty"Bob"Smith

Smitty"Bob"Smith

I'm new to the board, but have been following this thread for some time now. I was fortunate that in growing up in SE Oklahoma, Floyd, Eulonda, Eddy, and Karen Grist were our neighbors. As a youngster, you couldn't have had a better neighbor than Floyd Grist. And with the assortment of vehicles I went through he was sure handy to have around. He was a magician with a flathead, and did some fine tuning on my '64 Galaxie 500, which he eventually bought... And I was blessed to be able to hear first hand some of his racing experiences. One in particular is in regards to the big chute he had for a while on the Willys, he said it was like hitting a brick wall when that thing deployed. I'm sure Ed can probably shed more info on what size and all about it, but the gleam was still in Floyd's eyes any time he discussed his racing days. I had not seen anything regarding the car having a chute on the forum yet so I wanted to throw that out there. Now I'm rambling.. Great job on the car, so glad that this thread is here and that Ed, Ralph, and the new Grist Bros are along for the ride!! ~ Bob

7. EdGrist

EdGrist

Great post Bob. Glad to see you here. Ether is doing a most excellent job with the old Willys. It has been really cool to be following along, watching, waiting for updates, and dreaming about the days gone by. I am so glad you got to know my Dad, Floyd. The story about the 'chute is actually a funny one, although Dad didn't think it was very funny at the time. As it turns out, they attached the 'chute to the frame and ran it under the bumper. What Dad found out when he pulled the 'chute after crossing the finish line was that the 'chute was going to pick the back end of the car up for a bit and he'd be driving it literally on the front two tires. It caught him by surprise and gave him a feeling he didn't care too much for. It was at that point they decided to beef up the brakes ... and not rely on the 'chute.

I'm uploading a couple of pics for you, Bob. One has Ben Ryan, Dad, and yours truly ... and the "laundry bag" still mounted on the trunk. The other is the pic you gave me that Dad signed and gave you many years ago.

I'd like to announce that I've finally made some updates to www.gristbrosracing.com website. Take a look! I hope to add more stories, photos, and pages as I am able.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    Atwater Mike and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Smitty"Bob"Smith

Smitty"Bob"Smith

Hey Ed,

That's right.. he did mention that it raised the back end up when deployed... ha I was sitting on their sofa holding a connector rod to that 501 when he was telling me about it.. Thanks for posting that photo, it is one of my favorites of the Willys, my folks had a '40 Willys coupe that was their daily driver, sure wish they would have kept it until I came along.. Thanks for all the good memories, and for all the new ones we are getting to make.
    I agree, Ether is doing a wonderful job on the old girl, and it's very special to know that so many are interested in the history of this one of a kind Willys that once was the fastest unblown A Gasser in the world!!

I know Floyd would be very proud that the Willys is still being made over and cared for. He was such a special person, he was one of the genuine Good Guys that would do anything he could for you and made you feel like you were important no matter what. I was there the day Floyd and Ed was baptized in Walnut Creek, it was sleeting but that just made the day more special. This Willys coming back to life is a grand tribute to a life well lived.

9. 1955merc

1955merc
    from TN

Great thread. Just found it and while reading, I remembered I had an old national Dragster July 27, 1962. When I went thru it I found The national records section listing the Grist Bros-Reath, Wilmington, Calif. running a Ford engine setting the record at Madera, Calif track on 4-62 121.45 @ 11.61. Love those old Willys. John

10. zapp69

zapp69

Shinholster Coupe was chopped coupe, it sold a few years ago for bugger all only to be on Ebay for twice the price. It survived without resto as seen here
    [​IMG]

11. EdGrist

EdGrist

John,

Glad you are enjoying the thread. An 11.61 @ 121.45 doesn't seem very fast by todays times, although it was a record-setting run. But, you have to remember, traction was hard to find. There was no VHT on the track and no wrinkle-wall tires. I would love to see what the Willys could do with modern slicks on a VHT prepped track. -- Ed Grist

12. hershambob

hershambob

saw this chopped coupe at thompson raceway,was blue flake
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  13. That one looks to have coupe doors to me but a nice Chopped Willys for sure. The Grist coupe has left the building.......only to maybe return again after body and paint. Stay Tooned......

14. Wowcars

Wowcars

Any updates on this? I read that this car started out with a Edelbrock 6x2 on the MEL. Any idea if it was polished or not? I have the same intake and would be kind of crazy if it used to be part of this car.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this car run at Madera more than once as I recall it was 61 and was maybe there when it set the record in 62 as i hardly ever missed the drags there from late 59 til late 62. Really was impressive with the big 430 and the chopped top.

16. Moonlighting in the shop......You asked for it. Sneak peek, back from paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Must be nice to have a car with so much history. Did they call their engines "Grist Mills" because they ground the competition into dust? LOL. Gary

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. iamdiffrnt

iamdiffrnt

Finally made it through the thread. Great history, family, and workmanship. Keep us updated!

19. cakes

cakes

Looks awesome

20. JLGrist

JLGrist

That's catchy! I could definitely see me using that!

21. JLGrist

JLGrist

Looks great! I cannot wait to see it fully assembled.

22. edweird

edweird

need lettering?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. lawman

lawman

Very Very nice work and a super car !!!!

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Chad really does nice work. He is an awesome metalsmith. Thanks Chad for the pics. Thanks to the Grist folks for the nice web site. Kudos to all.:):)

25. EdGrist

EdGrist

Chad really is an awesome metalsmith, a true craftsman. I assume you're talking about the www.gristbrosracing.com website ... thanks. The plan really is coming together and it is looking excellent. I can hardly wait to see it in person :)

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edweird,
    I hope they choose you if they do. Your the best.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. gasbag

gasbag

Have a nice pit shot of Grist Bros Willys gasser taken at
    64 Winternationals/Pomona (along with a number of other cars)
    go to quartermileclassics.wordpress.com

28. JLGrist

JLGrist

Thank you, gasbag, for the link to that photo! Is there any chance that you have more of the Grist Bros Willys?

29. Drove it under its own power and sent it off to interior!!

Attached Files:

30. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Looks fantastic, great job.