Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found an Old Racecar Need Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Dec 21, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

Found and bought this old supermodified. Looking for more info. The guy I bought it from said it came out of Texoma OK. Looks like it said either Martin or Marlin. I think Marlin. Its number 22. Running a 69 Chevy 350. The guy has the grille and radiator. I haven't seen them yet. Haven't brought it home yet but I did snag some shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This might lead you somewhere posting it here! Good luck!

4. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool...nice find!:D

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

I hope to find enough info to restore it to original.

6. henry29

henry29

Looks like a 31 Chevy sedan with an International Farmall tractor grille for a trunk

7. George G

George G

IHC tractor provided the rear grille.

8. TinShed

TinShed

That is cool!

9. adamshumard

adamshumard

And who said tractor grilles weren't traditional!!??!?! Hahaha

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks lika a Dodge tube front axle from around 1935. Good luck with the rebuild.

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I might be WAY off, but Coo Coo Marlin (Sterling Marlin's dad) was partners at one time with Marty Robbins, and they had many purple cars over the years. Usually #22 or 42. Just a thought....

I doubt that engine or rearend ever made a lap in that car. It sure looks like a South East Skeeter similar to this.

Attached Files:

12. adamshumard

adamshumard

The car looks like to me what was ran late 60s and 70s. In the Midwest it was called a supermodified or 100 inch car. I think the motor is correct. Probably build with something different and then changed to the 69 motor later in its career.

13. mow too much

mow too much

I would say its from 67-68. In the Oklahoma/Kansas area they went to the shorter wheel base about than, the early cars usually had cut down body's before fiberglass body's like the Edmond's style were used.
    I'm not sure what his HAMB name is but Shane Carson may be able to help you out especially if the car ran at the Okla. City fairgrounds, Shane's Dad was the race promoter (MAR-CAR) and Shane has quiet a few pictures from that time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great find. I hope you can find the history of it. There are lots of them restored already so you should have lots of references for yours. Good luck with I will be watching this with interest.

16. adamshumard

adamshumard

17. blt2go

blt2go

great score. i'll print the pics and take them to my neighbor. he ran and owned several cars from the late 50's to early 70's. another neighbor has a good collection of history on cars and owners that ran the "local" tracks. it will take some time to get with them but i bet they can get you on the right track.

18. blt2go

blt2go

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Here in florida they were called Bug's,then mod's,then super mod's. every thing may help when trying to find sites with photos

20. adamshumard

adamshumard

I really appreciate that. I would love to find an old photo or something to help base the restoration on.

21. adamshumard

adamshumard

22. toml24

toml24

Thanks for the photos. They remind me of the supermodifieds of Ascot Park Gardena, circa 1964/65 or so. Please do restore it to 1960s configuration.

23. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

As an aging supermodified fan from Dallas, I don't remember seeing this car at the Devil's Bowl, from the old days. Good luck on finding it's history.

24. adamshumard

adamshumard

Any other info anyone?

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, if it turns out to be a Marlin car, the Marlin family may want it to restore...

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here are a couple of sites for general reference, but from Illinois / Wisconson. When I was in high school in the early / mid-60s, these were the kinds of supers they ran. The rails had to be from an American truck or car and the body from American mfgs. 90" minimun wheelbase and 30" minimum frame width I believe, or perhaps 36". They didn't allow rectangular tube frames at that time and no QC diffs. But there were NO rules on the motor, run what you brung! I think all the drivers are deaf by now. Har har. Gary

http://vmsconline.com/
    http://www.sewishorttrackhof.com/home.php

27. sololobo

sololobo

Yikes, they really did a job of slimming that baby down. Love those rockin old super-mod's. Hope you find out some info on this racer. ~sololobo~

28. adamshumard

adamshumard

Looked at it again today and it looks like at one point it was a 6 cylinder car and once was also blue. It for sure says marlin on it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011