Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tools for the job....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ChevTruck, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I use a grinder to clean frames with flap disc wheels in 36 & 80 grit depending on the crud that is on the frame . I don't like wire because it breaks loose and those little piece of metal will sick to everything when using in a grinder .
    Just remember to wear , ear , face , hand and eye protection !
    Have fun and good luck !

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

2. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

As said before...degrease the frame first before any sanding or blasting. I would go with the blaster with sand not media. A much nicer job and ready to prime with a dust off.
    Good luck on your build!!

3. zzford

zzford

4. I can get that Rust Blast over here, what's it like? what would you guys suggest as a primer after?

There's pretty much nothing going to be used off the original chassis apart from the front spindles....

5. I've got some of those clean and strip pads on order too....look pretty good.

Blue one i've lived in england for most of my life thought France would be a nice change of scenery! Just a shame it's a nightmare trying to find anything over here...they've got quite a big hot rod scene but no where near as big as england!

6. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

I do not know what is available over there but here in East Texas I had my '39 frame degreased, blasted, primed and powder coated for $175. I would not even attempt to clean it for that.

7. I could hazard a guess it's going to be no where near that amount! Might get a price in the new year to see how much it might cost, I do have a guy in the UK who I can get very cheap prices on powder coatings but not much use to me over here....

8. Big Nick

Big Nick

I used their Rust Seal, that Rust Blast knocks down the surface rust to a good metal surface and etches the metal for paint so you can use anything you want. I went with their Sealer and then a chasis black top coat and is some spots Rustoleum.

9. oj

oj

Send it out, unless you have a ventilated shop with an air handling bench you really don't want to do this in the winter in closed space - the dirt, rust etc is horrific. You'll be cleaning that shit out of your lungs and shop until next summer.

10. thaugen

thaugen

Has anyone here tried that gun you attach to your pressure washer and it sucks up sand into the wash stream? I suppose it doesn't work like they claim or someone would have posted about it.

11. Oj the weather isn't that bad at the moment so i'll be doing it outside the garage with a mask on so no worries there! I'm being very positive....that might change next week when I get stuck in

12. I heard of a ,new to me, procedure blowing ice through hi pressure instead of sand, acts like sand blasting but you don't have the mess. Anybody hear of this?
    Google comes up with C O 2 blasting. Sounds eco friendly, I'll have to study it.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think they have a great product. From what I have heard it is almost as tough as powder coat. In reality it isn't, but it is as tough a paint as you will find and is really effective on rust.

I'm gonna use it on my projects.