Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric fuel pump review

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rod and Wheeler, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

What is the best and the quietest electric fuel pump for Edelbrock carburetor???????? 5 to 7 #

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm using a Carter, if you use some sort of flexible hose (I used braided) on each side and rubber pads in mounting it's not bad at all for noise.
    Dave

3. indyjps

indyjps

should still run a fuel press regulator to get you down to 5-7 #,some of the mechanical pumps are too much pressure for the edelbrocks.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

xx2

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Running a Carter 5-7 psi on mine. Mounted to chassis rail with bracket supplied, was as noisy as hell. Thought I'd be clever and use exhaust cushions as in pic.
    Still a mongrel. Looking for an alternative.

Attached Files:

6. Anybody use a Holley "Red" pump that would care to comment?

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've always run red Holleys but they are noisy as hell...........some are worse than others for some reason. The one I had in my Jeep was so noisy passengers would ask me if it was a compressor running. Nothing I could do in the way of rubber mounting made any difference.

Now we have started to run Carters and they are much quieter. I bought the one that goes to something like 6 psi for my 27 and it works great with no reglulator, pumping through two 600 cfm Edelbrocks.

So I think I am done with Holleys unless I use one on a drag altered I am thinking of building, then the noise won't be an issue. Regardless of what pump you use it is important to run a good filter BEFORE the pump.

Don

8. boutlaw

boutlaw

Holley "Red" and "Blue" are both loud, even when mounting is cushioned, in my opinion.

9. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

I think the Holly red is ovekill on a non racing application also very noisy.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, the red is the mild street version. Blue is street/strip, and black is race.

Don

11. I have used red blue and black, like them all. But they are noisey, no noisier than any other pump but there is just no such a thing as a quiet pump.

Pulse pumps when isolated seem to make the least noise, I think because they don't run all the time. I still have an old Airtex that I keep around for emergencies. Well that and sentimental reasons.

Tis is correct, seems backward doesn't it.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

As was said, still run a regulator, and I would not run more than about 5 1/2, I would not run 7 despite what their tech support might say...

13. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Your correct that the red pump is marketed for the street but i'm not sure you need that much flow on a normal street application. When i've used a regulator to reduce the pressure down to 2.5 lbs. the pump got hotter and noisier. A return line might have helped.

14. Ole don

Ole don

I use the JEGGS house pump. I use it for a boost pump when the car hasnt been run for a week or two, and when I race. Otherwise the stock factory pump feeds the motor well. Yes, I can hear it.

15. I have used this Carter 6psi http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4070/ many times with the Edelbrock carbs with no problems and no regulator. Quiet and reliable, I have had one on my 29 for 6 years now with a 600 Edelbrock.

16. AG F/C

AG F/C

For a mild street car the Facet Gold Flow pumps are quiet when compared to the rotary ones. Flow rates up to 45 gph.

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Can I ask why you want to use an electric fuel pump ?
    Can't you use a regular mechanical fuel pump ? That would be the best way to go unless you don't have room for one for a reason .
    The only other way to have 'Quiet" electric fuel pump would be a tank mount electric fuel pump .

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

18. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

The fuel pump is in very tight area in relation to the frame. This a project car that I bought and everything is not easy to fix.Trying to undo the poor engineering and no thought of ever having to taking off or replacing a part. I take pride in building my own street rods frame up. My wife just tells me don't complain just redo and sort of make it your winter Project. 52 years . Having a wife that goes along with the
    hobby is 100% of the battle.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE.

QUOTE=Retro Jim;7261675]Can I ask why you want to use an electric fuel pump ?
    Can't you use a regular mechanical fuel pump ? That would be the best way to go unless you don't have room for one for a reason .
    The only other way to have 'Quiet" electric fuel pump would be a tank mount electric fuel pump .

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE ![/QUOTE]

19. squirrel

squirrel

The Carter electric pumps are not bad for noise. Make sure you add a filter before the pump, make sure the pump is below the level of the fuel tank, add an oil pressure cutoff switch, etc.

I'd rather run a mechanical pump if possible, even if it means torching something out of the way...

20. ronk16

ronk16

I use a Holley red with a bypass regulator like a fuel injected motor, need to make a return line port in the tank. Rubber isolaters for mounting. The. Bypass keeps the pump quieter. Sound travels faster through liquid, insulate as much as possible.

21. I use Facet Gold Flow pumps on two street cars. Quiet, no problems.

22. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Use a plastic battery box and install the electric pump inside, insulate inside and out. I did this once on a truck and I could hardly hear the pump with the engine off.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I actually like a little sound from them so I know they are running. When I start the car I flip the pump on first and once it has run for a few seconds I crank it. I ran out of gas a few times in my 23 (no gas gauge) and I was at least able to determine the pump hadn't crapped out because I could hear it.

Don

24. I run a Carter on my 56 Chevy. Man, if the Holleys are louder than the Carters then you won't be able to hear yourself talk. Its nearly as loud as my loud exhaust.
    I am thinking about going back to a mechanical pump.

25. fatkoop

fatkoop

I have carter pumps on 3 or 4 cars right now. Noisy as hell, but will run forever, that's good enough for me.

26. i have a blue series holley pump with a filter that has a single inlet and dual outlet for my return line. i mounted the holley with some rubber but ill be honest...its pretty loud

27. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I installed a Mr. Gasket fuel pump purchased from Autozone. Even though I've read bad reviews on them, I have not had any problems whatsoever with mine. It's feeding a 600 cfm Edelbrock on a 355 SBC. Mounted mine on a piece of radiator hose for noise isolation, and it's all good so far.:D

28. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I use a pulse pump from summit racing, part #PFS-10701, for the flathead in my roadster running 3 strombergs. The pump only puts out 4lbs, but that is all I need for those carbs. The pump was only about $40 and is quiet as a mouse, it replaced the Holley coffee grinder that I had to suffer with before.

29. tex1935

tex1935

I dont know shit about fuel pumps ,But I do know The Rod and Wheelers Car club is alive and thriving. We are up to over one hundred members.We are working on a web site ,hope to have it up around mid feb. Thanks texs195 [email protected]

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear your club is doing so well, but don't you think it would be better to start your own thread than to hijack someone else's thread on a whole other subject?
    Dave