Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block or 390 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 20, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Over the last couple years I have been getting the parts to put a Y block back in my 55 sunliner and only need a set of 57 to 59 heads and then I have all the parts needed,I stopped by a shop who does my alignments and suspension work I dont feel like doing and was offered a 390 they installed in a 57 bread truck they were making into a camper in the 70s and never finished. Its a 4 bbl 390 that is probably stuck but since its been out of the weather should be easy to get unstuck,so should I do a 292 or the 390 done up like a 1960 300 HP 352. I think the only hard parts to find to do the 390 is a set of 58/59 exhaust manifolds as I would want it to look like I dropped the FE in back in 60. I am going to get the 390 even if I go with the Y block as one can never have too many big blocks and use it for a future project.

2. jazzbum

jazzbum

i love the look of a y block ford, but if the motor's for a car that will see some miles, i think i'd go with the FE. plus, it sounds like the later motor's done. that means getting on the road even sooner.

1927graham likes this.
  3. Just remember the valve covers on a 1960 352/300 were painted yellow. The 352 2 barrel were painted blue. I still remember my first car, a 60 Sunliner 352/300 that my parents bought new.....

4. Ole don

Ole don

The 390 will have enough bottom end to blow the tires right off the car, which is always fun. The Y block should get better fuel mileage. Both will cause a grin an undertaker will have trouble with.

5. [QUOTE Both will cause a grin an undertaker will have trouble with.[/QUOTE]:D
    I like it...................thanks.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well I have owned both along with many other .
    I Fe was more for work than play thus was low on the HP range for the cubes it has . The ones for cars with a 4 bbl might get you 250 hp . If you want more torque and HP from them you need bigger valves and better pistons . In the end you will spend a lot of money for a heavy boat anchor with about 300 hp if you are lucky .
    Now the Y block is on the heavy side compared to other small blocks like the 302 or 351w engines . The Y block is a strong pulling engine but the performance parts are not cheap either . Also if you break down on the road you are screwed !
    Now if you but a cheap run of the mill roller 302/5.0 you can get a lot more torque and hp for the money than either of the other 2 engines in question . Also if you do break down any and everybody will have a part for the 303/5.0 . That is what I went with in my 55 Fairlane . Mine did have a great running engine but after all the money I would have stuck in the engine and parts I would still have maybe a 250 to 275 hp Y block .
    Now for that same about of money invested I could have a stout 331 or 347 and a lot more hp & torque than any of the other engines you have asked about .
    In the end the Y block is a good engine that will last and have that special sound through the exhaust .
    On the other hand a 302/5.0 will give you lots of power & torque from a stout 302 that will fetch an easy 300 hp or more depending on how much you spend .

So it all comes down to 2 things . ONE what do you want from your engine . 2 How much money can you spend on an engine .
    So it's really up to you and no one else ! Just make sure you are going to be very happy with your choice !
    If you have any questions about the 302/5.0 Ford engine just send me a PM . I build them and can help you with your choices of parts needed to get what you want !

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I vote for a y block for a cruzer.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am leaning towards the FE since I do drive it to Florida every year,the 390 that was in my 65 country squire got 16 to 17 on the highway which is the same as the 351-W does that is in the 55 now but had more power. I think is a 66 to 70 motor but if it goes in will look like a 58 to 62 motor,I hate to give up on the Y block but the 390 would be easier to get parts for on the road.

bchctybob likes this.
  9. ronk16

ronk16

I have 2 sets of y block heads one set is a 59 the others are 58 if memory servers me correctly. Both are nice and complete. If your interested drop me a line here .

10. I'd go with the y-block ... just because it belongs their (but wasnt a 55 actually a 272?) but the fe is a keeper for other projects ... with the right cam and carb they can be made to scream.

IMO the only thing "boat anchor" on an fe is the stock cast intake!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. ronk16

ronk16

By the way the 390 4v motor in my 66 t- bird came with 315 hp from the factory. Invested about 300 bucks in ignition and intake, put it on my buddies dyno for shits any giggles and it pulled 301.79 rear wheel hp. Be smart with the but up and shop thrifty

j-jock likes this.
  12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Didn't you say it was stuck and sitting outside ?
    Also not everyone has Fe parts on hand either !
    I would take the Y block over the Fe any day for a cruiser .
    Now if I want some performance I will go with a small block . The parts are cheaper and a lot less weight up front com[paired to the Fe . And 300 + HP is very easy to get from a 302/5.0 roller engine ! Then install a overdrive trans behind it and your highway mileage will be really sweet too !
    Check and see what the parts will cost you before the machinist sticks it to you and then you will consider that small block ! It's cheap all the way around !

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

13. Geez

Geez
    from N. E. Ohio

If it were me I'd opt for the Y block although the 390 would be abetter choice for parts and such. I had a 390 in a 65 Marauder and a 312 in a 57 Ford. Both were pretty strong runners but for some reason I miss the sound of that 312. The 292s, 272s were about the same except weaker.

14. I would go with the 390. Its a much better engine. You will get just as good mileage with it if you set it up right as you can with the Y-block.It will cruize all day with no work.More parts available for it too. I like Y-blocks but in a 55-59 Ford I would go with the FE. It will practically bolt in too.

bchctybob, F-ONE and j-jock like this.
  15. shocker998md

shocker998md

Big block or no block.....Im just a little biased. Im getting a 390 together for my f100 to replace my 352.

My buddy had a "stuck" 360, we put kroil in each spark plug hole, let it sit for a few hours and it broke loose. Its been on the road for the last 8 months in a beater truck and hasnt let him down yet. Its not a power house but comparing a 360 to anything is like apples to oranges.

16. Y block!!!! I have a 292 y block going in my 56 ford and it will have the tri power,finned valver covers and valley pan. They look and sound great.

32Dan likes this.
  17. khead47

khead47

Crunch the numbers ($) and just do it as long as you don't think SBC !

King ford and warbird1 like this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 390 has not sat outside but in a 57 Ford bread truck for the last 30 years,I really want to put a Y block back in but the 390 is tempting. The 351 that is in it just does not look right and I want a vintage motor that will have plenty of torque,I could go ahead and put the Y block in the 55 and have been wanting a 55 to 57 2 door post which would be a good home for the 390.

19. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

Sounds like you are really wanting the Y block. Like you said, if you can do both, that's even better. I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like a decent 390 would be pretty easy to find whenever you need one, or at least easier than the y block.

20. MERRELL

MERRELL

go with the FE, i put one in my 56 check my albums i think theres some pics

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Is there a adapter to put a C-4 behind a FE,I have a fresh rebuilt C-4 in it that I was going to use behind the 292.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

If I remeber right turn the mounts backward and it will move the 390 forward enought to clear the firewall.

Sage Youngblutt likes this.
  23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It warms my heart to see a discussion between using a Y-Block or an FE. and not one word about "just dropping a SBC in there".

Jeff, There is NO wrong decision here. Either motor will make you happy and maintain the cars value.

Good Luck.

24. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, nice to NOT see any unsolicited baloney from "the great brainwashed"

King ford likes this.
  25. YES! http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm
    I would go with the Y Block in this car. It is a bolt in (easier for exhaust manifolds too) - less work than the FE and has a unique sound plus it is about 25-40 lbs lighter.
    I have a 312 Y in my T Bird and a 416" FE in my F150 and I sure like that Y Block better for everything except power.

26. George

George

What year C-4, don't know if the Y block & a '64 C-4 have the same bell pattern, but '65 & up are 6 bolt vs the '64 5 bolt bell. You'd have to spend money to get the C4 to live long behind a 390, need an FE pattern C-6. C4 were used on 289/302, FMX on 351 2 bls & the C6 on 351-4 bl on up through the 460. C6s come in SBF, FE & 429 patterns.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought I was going to be in a rush to replace the 351 since it was making noises on the trip to Florida which so far turned out to be it did not like the oil I put in it for the trip,changed the oil and its doing ok and I am going to pick up the 390 even though it might not go in my 55 since I am thinking about a 2 door sedan for a hot rod with a 390 and 4 speed.

j-jock likes this.
  28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Y Block....and the '55 pass car item was in fact, 272 inches. Cool thing is, a 312 or a 292 will bolt right in........ Sneaky.....and fun.....

4TTRUK

29. 57fordlover

57fordlover

i have a fe aluminum flywheel,already turned ,if you are interested. mike 443 255 0904.merry christmas!

30. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I like FE's and Y blocks. Like Don said, the YBlock is an easier install. The FE is pretty
    tight in that body style.