Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping a body from USA to Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickwagon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hi, wanting to ship a Fibreglass body on a pallet from USA (prob L A) to brisbane.

who's good to work with and who isnt ??

the body is on a pallet, shrink wrapped with plastic but doesnt actually have a full crate around it, this concerns me a little.

any ideas / Suggestions most welcome ??

2. mal-capone

mal-capone
    from Australia

Try California Image, there up your way. I would defiantly get it crated properly tho.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

3. I'd say fill it up with hot rod parts before you have it shipped. I understand the international shippers charge by volume.

4. ^^Yep^^

Some Qld'ers will chime in for a shipper in your state.

5. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i shipped a body to england and found they had some strange rules, maybe aus has different rules, but the wood (pallet) had to be certified to some code . after days of checking i finaly made a pallet out of 2x2 steel tube and crated it with osb strand board (man made wood glued together)

6. yep there is definately some rules and regulations regarding what kind of timber can be used.

7. I used the cheapest wood they had at the hardware store, not a problem getting through. Maybe I got lucky.

8. might depend on what kind of day the "officials" are having......

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

A & A International shipping out of Gardena are excellent to work with. I've used them before to send cars to Australia and have never had an issue.

10. Yip X2 on that one, Steves a great guy to deal with, honest and reliable.

11. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

If the shipper is useing wood to help pack the container he'll be having it fumigated en-route. When I was importing I was never queried on wood type but definitely had to have a fumigation certificate in the paperwork.

I think your concerns regarding no overall crate are well founded, if your container is at the top of the stack and there's rough seas you'd be surprised what can happen. I had a beautiful old bevelled mirror that I had sandwiched between two sheets of ply for a safe trip home, somehow during the trip, a 27 T door handle still attached to the door punched through both sheets of ply and the mirror. No damage to the door though :D

As someone else said, fill up your body if you can, you're paying for the volume and shipping air is expensive!

Cheers,
    Rob

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Be prepared to wait quite a few months and be prepared to pay for volume. You will get dicked around. Hitch a ride with someone else

13. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

What type of body do you want to get?

14. its a fuel coupe body for a front engine dragster

15. Kiwi shipping is owned by Mainfreight now ?? is the service still the same and does he ship into OZ ?

16. Cheers I had heard similar stories......

17. 97

Yep
    Steve still runs the Kiwi shipping side of it there is an Aussie base as well
    http://www.kiwishipping.com.au/
    You could try Pete Leahy too, he knows a thing or two about FEDs :D:D

Peter Leahy Custom Imports Centrepark Complex, Unit 50, 211 Brisbane Road Labrador Qld Australia 4216. Ph 07 5537 5288 24/7 0412 109 059. Fax 07 5528 9899

http://www.rolyleahycustomimports.com/racecars.html

18. Last year another HAMBer and I sold a couple project cars, spare motors, etc... to "choppa" here on the HAMB. At the time I think he was shipping a containers a couple times a year stuffed to the gills. You might PM him and see if he has another load.

19. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Fill her baby! remember to buy parts hard to find parts in Oz to really capitalize on your venture

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

20. Cheers - thanks everyone - thats given me something to work with

21. RP30

RP30

I would check with a couple shippers around the port area.On the east coast here I was talking to a guy the other day who shipped a car to Italy fairly cheap including comming to get it here in Conn and bringing it to newark NJ to ship for 1200.00 so its probably not that bad.I think crating would help though.