Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage portland swap meet 2012 rumor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41plym, Oct 28, 2011.

1. southerncad

southerncad

OK, we are safe! So come see us in spaces 9189 & 9190.
    We are HAMB friendly & you get the best prices, 'cause we screw
    the other guy and pass the savings on to you!
    :):D:eek::D

2. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Bwaaa haaa haaaa!

Love it.

I'll swing by.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Got an email from my friend who sits on the swap meet committee yesterday, and it seems that the Metro Council that oversees their buildings is nothing but greedy! The Swap Meet has told Metro many times over that they want to continue the same weekend since 1973, and yet Metro wont allow them to sign a long term guaranteed lease.
    Instead the greedy Metro Council continues to leave the Swap Meet folks waiting until 30 days before the meet to sign a rental agreement. Hoping they might get a better offer from another source is the main reason for doing this, and now they have found that source with Cirque.
    We need to spread the word to the local media and do whatever we can to make Metro miserable and embarassed, so it wont happen again!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. Soreback

Soreback

I can't imagine the the Crique folks being to happy after they see the traffic situation and grid lock caused by the swap meet. I'd be pissed if I bought tickets to the circus show and had to spend half a day trying to get my family in and out of that debacle. It sounds like the track will be the place to be. I am going to secure my place monday. The Expo has always continued to make it harder and harder for vendors over the years. I like clowns. Not bureaucratic ones.

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

just a bunch of clowns running around annoying, but will take more than that to keep me away!

6. pinman 39

pinman 39

"Son of a Bitch" Now how many wives are going to want to see the "Other Show"

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Maybe a riot? A sit down? Wait thats what most of us do is sit down with a beer lol

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure be nice to see more early parts for sale there.
    All the early stuff has become so thin on the ground these days it is getting that it is not worth the walk around.

9. Hell I'll still go and walk 9 1/2 hours around looking at alot of stuff I want but cannot buy. Last year was my first year and I came home with a chrome grille for my truck-I got hooked.

10. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

This just sucks I have been going for the last 13 years and will go this year to see how shitty it is but might just start hitting up a lot of the smaller ones instead

11. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

I haven't been since I was a teenager 30 years ago, so while I am disappointed to hear it will be smaller, I am still excited about going now that I have something that needs parts. I hope you guys are right about the circus not wanting to deal with the traffic in the future.

12. U-235

U-235

I'm curious....will the circus clowns ride on the big bus, or will they have a little bus...?

13. Horseshit- pure horseshit.

14. "Tears of a clown..when no ones around"
    I thought I would opt out this year, after thirty some years..seems to have been the right choice. Traffic and parking have been such a cluster F*** the last several years anyway.

15. 41plym

41plym

My understanding is the circus has signed a 5 year contract for that week. It won't keep the hardcore swappers away.
    41plym

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason for the swapmeet's date change is that Easter is on the 8th of April in 2012. That is the reason for that. There is a slim possibility that the circus was scheduled for that date before the swap meet changed and it would be interesting to find out all the details.

Scheduling problems usually happen when you get new people involved in scheduling events at a venue. New person hired in the office or a new manager who doesn't have a clear understanding of what the swap meet entails or that it is and has been one of the premier events at the Expo center annually and has had the same weekend most every year.

17. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I haven't seen anybody say that Portland is the most anti-car City in the U.S.A. which of course it is. This crap has been going on my entire life. We should just move across the river to the Clark County Fair grounds and abandon PDX to the wierdos who are taking over. I was born in Portland 75 years ago.
    This year there won't be any security for the parts left overnight because the Swap Meet closes 4 hours before the Circus. Circus customers will be able to walk all through the outside area
    Yes, Metro is sneaky and underhanded. I actually had to shake the hand of one of those jerks when I was helping set up a car event with one of the car clubs. The hand was cold and clammy. The mark of a dishonest man.
    They don't print those "Keep Portland Wierd" bumper stickers for nothing.
    Other than that, everything is fine.

18. The_Monster

The_Monster

Yea, when I got my letter I couldnt believe it either. But Ive gone every year for 30+ years. Never missed one, and I wont miss one because of this.

As far as I know, and after checking out their website, this is a real upscale circus show, tickets are very expensive. As far as being concerned for your stuff overnight, I dont think youll have to worry. Id have to bet that there is going to be a fence around their tents and area to keep us out of there high priced stuff. I would have to imagine they are just as concerned about the swapmeet people walking all over into their space.
    Between the expo and the track, its still worth my time and wont let this get in my way of havin fun. Hell, I never manage to see ALL of the swapmeet, even with four days of walkin and snoopin. Itll still be killer regardless.

And I dont predict the traffic/parking to be any different. Circus doesnt open till 8pm. Guess we'll all have to wait and see! No sense getting all worked up over it now. May go alot smoother than you think. Sucks for the guys who have had those spots for years tho, I feel your dissapointment.

19. coffeegirl

coffeegirl

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

After many weeks of waiting my entry and wrist bands never showed up. Finally got more sent and they arrived promptly this time, so my space is set and ready to go! Can't wait for April!

21. The_Monster

The_Monster

Im lookin forward to it!!

22. sfeldma

sfeldma

i heard Circus paid 5x what swap meet was paying

23. daddylama

daddylama

i'll be there, kids in tow as usual. rain, storms, circus. no matter.

24. next weekend
    I'm across from the timing tower at the drag strip

25. ugotpk

ugotpk

Portland is a circus anyway

26. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

I'm also across from the timing tower on the straight away.Stop on by..

27. silversink

silversink

I'll have a sign that says HAMB that will be in space 2036 & 2037. Stop by and sign the sign---open to all HAMBers

28. kirby1374

kirby1374

Awesome, I'll try to stop by if I can find it.

29. april may

april may

I'll be in hall E. #4020. I have 1 xl NW Hamb shirt, and a bunch of NW Hamb stickers left from the run we did a few years ago if anyone is interested. I'll drag them along with me.

30. BruceT

BruceT
    from Abbotsford

I'll see ya Friday!