Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a burnt orange color for 56 Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

These wheels without the white letters will look better too,while you are at it:)

Attached Files:

2. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Yeah I have seen pics of daddy o's, its a beauty. We asked way back, he wouldnt come off the paint code though :D

3. Looks like my daily 2000 Ford Ranger, Madarin Copper. Awesome color. ;)

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a friend's '56...believe the rear is a Toyota color...over Oyster white.

R-

[​IMG]

5. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Damn right!
    Get it the color you really want. don't sweat the small stuff.

6. That color is awesome!

7. Ford offered a interesting color on the 1980 Pintos called Bittersweet,,Cool color but a crappy car. HRP

8. eddie1

eddie1

Mazda's got a Burnt Orange that is more orange than some of the others on the thread.

Attached Files:

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, whatever you do, never become a slave to the potentially difficult touch up. that takes all the fun out of owning and driving it. just pick a color that you REALLY like.

picking a second best because it's easier to touch up will leave you disappointed.

10. OP, you need to paint up some test panels with your painter. You can get 5-6 ideas on here, but then you need to shoot some colors and decide. Color is a highly individual decision.

Mine is a very dark custom blue that we made after we tried 6 colors. We almost liked one, so we doctored it up and came up with mine.

The new C6 Atomic Orange is cool but it's going to make your car look like a Good guys street rod if you want that look.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm liking Chevy's Inferno Orange, a current color.

12. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Here is a picture showing daytona sunset orange metallic (left) next to atomic orange (right).

[​IMG]

2006 GTO Brazen Orange Metallic

[​IMG]

Prowler orange metallic

[​IMG]

13. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I called the paint store, they said this sierra gold has silver metal flake in it. So looks like all the colors I prefer have some flakes and/or pearl. Now just to decide which one.

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

This is my '11 wrangler painted "Mango Tango". It is a 2011 color only. It was not on the card to be produced in 2012. I love it and it gets a lot of attention!

jeep.jpg

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

here are a few more of it:

268697_10100230284978941_9033825_49812611_6254004_n.jpg

316955_10100334128720251_9033825_51160171_1351291399_n.jpg

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yes,what I meant is, I had heard that a more fine size flake had to be used in this color to be a true 57 sierra gold (not too sparkley I guess)
    That may or may not be true,chances are the guys at the paint store wont really know either or even care as long as its close:rolleyes:

My guess is, you will like it reguardless, as long as the quality of the paint job is good;)

17. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The Prowler orange is a nice color. Of course you could spray it satin Black and be original!:rolleyes:

18. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I for one am a big fan of the burnt Orange palette.

How about 1971 Buick Burnished Cinnamon (code 67)

(Lord, forgive me for posting an off topic vehicle pic.)

[​IMG]

19. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is a picture of the Henry J gasser and the Studebaker Bonneville car that Hooley and I built. I painted them the orange that is used on the Dodge Daytonna pickup trucks which is a Ford truck color. I also painted my bobber bike the same color. People say I am buying this paint by the 55 gallon drum but it is not true, I just like the color.

John

Attached Files:

20. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Ok, all, with some "spousal" influence, my painter is ordering a pint of this in PPG mix of this sierra gold and will spray a few test panels for me to look at. Little different than the oranges I was looking at, but I do really like this one to. I gave 5 colors to 5 people and 4 preferred this one. I was in a toss up so between this and the sunset orange metallic and atomic orange. Thanks for all the input, and I will update when I get some test panels sprayed.

[​IMG]

here she is getting ready for paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Where will your paint divide line be,meaning will your door post frames etc. be the same color as the top or will it divide like your primer/white does now with the posts etc. being the lower body color?
    I think I like the way the primer/paint divides but thats just me.
    It will look cool either way.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is the color I used on the suspension and drivetrain on my 23 T. It is 2005 Hummer Fusion Orange.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Mazda ‘Spicy Orange’

Attached Files:

24. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

lowbudget, I am going to break the 2 colors like they are right now. White or beige just on the roof. The posts will be painted the same as the rest of the car. Mine is a mainline, which doesnt have trim all the way front to back, so I couldnt really 2 tone it that way either unless I swapped the trim on it. My avatar shows the trim, it stops half way through the door.

thanks mgt and don. Nice colors, i really like the way that fusion orange looks

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

26. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I would have thought that any of those shades would be hard to get.

Chip Foose probably bought them all up.

27. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

No paint yet, but looks like it may be this week. We tested the 57 chevy sierra gold, but it was converted over and didnt look like what I wanted. So he is picking up a pint of gm atomic orange, I do believe that will be the end result, but I am going to look at a test panel this week to be sure.

What yall think would look good with it for the roof? White, off white, beige?

28. I think you'll be happy with the Atomic Orange.

The Roof has got to be GM's Pearl White.

Go man go!!!

29. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the Atomic Orange with some subtle heavy flake scallops. It would be a great color for your Mainline. Try some panels with different base, I used a black base and it was more burnt orange a silver base makes it really pop.
    I went with a white base to keep the scallops more subtle.

Attached Files:

30. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Well we finally got to see some paint on this baby. I havent gone to see in person yet, he just texted these to me yesterday....It has a chrysler cool vanilla roof which is taped off and I havent seen yet either

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should be seeing in person this weekend and will post more pics when I get them.