Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 14 Day Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petegordon40, Dec 19, 2011.

1. petegordon40

petegordon40
    from Bartow FL

Like many of you, I have a lot of left over parts. I am off for two weeks at Christmas. I thought it might be fun to put together a 1952 Ford pickup from some of the parts that might be waiting for years to become useful. I have a nice frame that I got from my buddy Will. It is subframed and set up for a small block. A 327 will supply the power. The cab and front clip will be harvested from a very rusty 1952 two tone. I have some extra pickup fenders to solve the wheel opening problem. My wife is blogging it at http://the14daytruckbuild.blogspot.com/ Since Saturday morning I have installed the engine and trans, set the cab on the frame and hooked up the brakes.

I would welcome any ideas that you have. Hope it makes a for a cool truck.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, I better jump in to help out a fellow Floridian before you get piled on. The rat rod words don't go over well on this forum, but since you are new you probably didn't know. If you change those words to hot rod, you will be fine, especially if it is built like a hot rod not a rat rod.

Just wanted you to know. :D

Don

3. Barz51

Barz51

Sounds like there are fenders involved so it might not be too bad. Let's see some pics!

4. hot rod, yes. Rat rod, phttphhhhhttttfffffffffffttttttttttt..........

5. Technically, that is NOT a 14-day truck build. You already have a rolling chassis with a complete drivetrain installed before you "started" the build. Try being honest here.

I call BS here.

6. badshifter

badshifter

Member since 2008, and you still wanna post a rat rod build? OK then.

7. is it going to turn out like this beauty right here?:rolleyes::

Attached Files:

8. Barz51

Barz51

Hey Look! It even comes with a "Pre-Flat" tire, that's the ole skool predecessor to the modern day "Run Flat" tires

9. I looked at your blog It looks like a fun project.
    Id just drop the rr word and call it the rusty truck build or something.
    I you dont want that grin truck front fenders you can send it my way.:)

10. Barz51

Barz51

He still goes from a non-driving pile of parts to drive-able truck in two weeks. It's not a ground up build but it's still an accomplishment, if he pulls it off.

Good luck with the build!

11. petegordon40

petegordon40
    from Bartow FL

Thank you for your comments. Took out the rat to make everyone happy. Any ideas for a gas tank?

12. Barz51

Barz51

I'd say a spun aluminum tank would be the simplest and probably the cheapest.

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

second that... or the ole beer keg like I have...

14. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Well, I have to say , It doesn't look like your using junk , kinda looks like you know what your doing with the sub-frame graft in the truck (from what I can see) , and IMHO , I love patina , not the fake kind , mind you , as long as you don't add the spiderwebs , shitty welds , and skulls all over the place , I see this becoming a desirable little ride-a-round....But in the big scope of things , make it the way you want , and enjoy it , as was once said "You only live once , enjoy it , because this aint no dress rehearsal":D

15. johnboy13

johnboy13

Good for you

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

If you go back and actually read the post he says "SINCE Saturday morning" implying that Saturday was his starting day.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Went to your blog site, that is quite a cherry picker you have there. I'm surprised the tractor didn't do a wheelie with all that weight on the back. :D What do you use that setup for on the farm, lifting hay bales?

Project seems to be coming along well.

Don

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jeez dude, it's not like he has anything to gain by fooling you. he's taking a pile of parts and making truck. which is a good thing.

i don't get why you're all amped up about it.

19. petegordon40

petegordon40
    from Bartow FL

I just added about 4 feet to the cherry picker to make it easy to remove the cab. It works good on anything under about 600 lbs. Handy for setting equipment on flatbed trailers or setting tall poles when adding on to the shop. Its not good for everything but was great for this job. thanks for looking Don.

20. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

If you are worried about making everyone happy you won't have time to build your truck. So call it what you want, build it like you want and get crackin'! :D

21. Which Saturday? LOL.

Cool project. Looks like fun. Good luck.

22. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Looks like all elbows and a**'s to me - I think you got a good plan going
    pull it off!!

23. ...this is a neat idea; good luck with it, I'll be following along.
    Early Mustang tanks probly work the best in these trucks, try Bob's Mustang Parts for a good deal on tank/sender.
    I've built these before from a complete intact orig.truck into what you are doing in about 160 hours (4-40 hour weeks).
    ...here's a couple of these old Fords I've had...
    [​IMG]

24. I like it so far..

25. I like F1's so I'm here to see this.

It took me about 5 months (part-time) to build mine but I buffed out the paint too.

26. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Good luck and keep us updated!

27. fullthrottle53

fullthrottle53

Keep up the good work! Hope you make it.

28. Alright, im convinced. Ill keep an eye on this one.

29. petegordon40

petegordon40
    from Bartow FL

I just got my steering parts. Very fast for Christmas time. Gearhead and Summit took good care of me. The Unisteer U-joint is very nice.