Register now to get rid of these ads!

***U.S.A 1966 a Hot Rodding Trip of a lifetime.MANY pictures***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Feb 26, 2007.

1. swifty

swifty

Sololobo

I've got a slide with a pic of McDonalds in Glendale and my note on the slide says "our favorite restaurant in Glendale"
    I don't think it was our favorite , just the cheapest place to eat cos we had to watch the $$$. Three burgers, one fries and a coke was 75cents PLUS 3 cents tax. We hated that tax bit cos we didn't have it in Oz and now we have GST here instead.

Chebby belair, sorry no Super 8. We all had Pentax SLR cameras using slide film only. Got all our processing done in the States cos it was cheaper thru the mail order places.

swifty

2. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

simply unbelieveable! thanx for sharing all those cool old memories of you and your dad i know all about hangin out with pops at all the cool old shows of the past. kinda makes me wish i had one of them time machines! bill pickerel a.k.a pullinlines

3. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

simply unbelieveable! thanx for sharing all those cool old memories of you and your dad i know all about hangin out with pops at all the cool old shows of the past. kinda makes me wish i had one of them time machines! bill pickerel a.k.a pullinlines

4. Gene Scott's place of business was in Rosemead, not Watts. About 20 miles apart and that is not the only difference. The "AT" in the phone number was short for "ATlantic". When I was a kid our number was AT 1-0324.

Attached Files:

5. flatoz

flatoz

Your right Bib,

I spoke to the old man, he remembered riding around in Dick Scritchfields car lincoln the day before through watts, apparently the doors and windows were locked so the Aussies couldnt draw attention to themselves.

the day they went to genes they went in Dicks tourer.

6. wagoon

wagoon

Awsome pics!
    Thanks for posting!

Kyle

7. Bazz Fletcher

Bazz Fletcher

I was talking to your Dad and Eddie, at the Castlemaine Swap Meet last Sunday and he told me to check your story out. We were all reminiscing about the trip. Your story and pics brought back things I haven't thought of for 41yrs. - it's a wonder Eddie didn't poison your Dad - I can still see the milk floating in the water in the cooler!

It was a great experience and cemented our friendship for life.

Thanks.

8. Hey Bazz welcome to the HAMB...

I think it is about time a book was put together about this once in a life time trip, you know it will be popular just from the reaction here.

Binga

9. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

really enjoyed the photos !! THANKS

10. flatoz

flatoz

Hi Barry,

good to see you found this place. I'm sure between yourself, Eddie and my old man you would have some great stuff. I know I have been looking through dads slide of late and theres some interesting stuff to see. Its really a time capsule of the US all over for 1966.

11. gasser

gasser

Excellent, thanks for sharing... you made my day, we did a similiar trip two years ago, I hope my memory is as sharp as yours in 41 years!

12. D Staig

D Staig

Corey,

This stuff is amazing...everyone who doesn't see these photos and the stories that go with them are missing out...

Thanks so much for posting this. You must be so proud of your Dads history.

390cad likes this.
  13. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

Corey,
    This stuff needs to be Documented, this is (Aussie) Hot Rod history......

Thanks for gettin' it out there.
    Regards Dave.

390cad likes this.
  14. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Thanks for bringing this up top!

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great stuff, definite pioneers in their day. Common place now but then, it was unexplored territory. Makes me wish I was there :) More photos please

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

first time i saw this! lucky young dudes, this was a great time to come to the USA! we had are own idenity! we're loosin' it quick!

17. ;):) About time!
    p.s; Love the Scritchfield car in these shots, and F.S's tub, OMG..

18. Igosplut

Igosplut

For everybody's FYI, If this was Jimmy Marceline's Junkyard in Harwich on Cape Cod, it was cleared out about eight years back when the state got on his ass for having cars over fifteen years old (and that's all he had really). Jimmy's still kicking and has to be in his mid eighty's. I bought a ton of stuff over the years, and he always told me the same story of buying scrap off my grandfather (he remembered his name, but never mine). An interesting note, Jimmy payed many of the poor peoples property taxes in town so they could stay in their houses. Sad to see that yard disappear, but Jimmy still lives right next door and never sold the property.

Linders (in Worcester MA) is still in business today and has expanded into used/repairing cars as well as having a pick-a-part yard across the street from their main yard. i do a lot of business with them and am going to link them to this. I think they'd get a kick out of it.

19. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Corey thanks for posting , enjoyed all the pictures

20. Hey Corey , I had just sent you an e-mail tonight and then got on the HAMB and saw this for the first time , I can't believe it has been on here since '07 and not Bumped , glad it did tonight . I had heard of this trip and seen old pics in magazines however to read this is just such a treat , incredible , thanks to you and Swifty for sharing . When we went last year we saw that '55 Mercury concept car in the Petersen Museum , restored now it was looking as bad as it did then :D

21. Would make a great Rodders Journal story. 2 parts!

22. flatoz

flatoz

Over the holidays I should get the rest of the photos and finish this off. been meaning to do that...

23. Davyj

Davyj

Great story and photo journal, glad it was bumped and can't wait to read more!

24. I'll be waiting by the computer.

Still think swifty needs to get a book done.

25. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Gotta echo the appreciative sentiments.

26. flatoz

flatoz

Ha.

I see this came up again,

got a couple of photos to show.

This is the 'crew' outside the motel at Hershey in '66 the three boys from Australia and Fred Steele and Don Spiney. Dad's the one with on the far right with the cap on.

[​IMG]

fast forward 45 years and here he is again at Hershey, we were lucky enough to visit Hershey last year, I took dad back to the states. 45 years between swapmeet visits is a lot!

[​IMG]

here is another photo too, Washington looks cold more than green!

[​IMG]

27. Killer pix Corey

Rat

28. Awesome. Is he going to leave it another 45 years before he goes back again, Corey?

Spoggie likes this.
  29. tragic59

tragic59

I was just thinking the same thing...