Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jipp

jipp

you have made some good progress. iv not heard of a frakie mag.. whats the story behind this distributor? was this the hot ticket with the boys in the know? or was justs something they got for cheap and it worked.. and of course now adays stuff like that would be rare im guessing was made for a guy who owned his own speed shop, or hell made them in his garage for his own needs and a few friends liked them too.. at any rate, look forward to your progress.. that hemi is gonna be sweet once the S&S boys have there way with her.. i hear they always treat there girls to a extra meal if they are good and watch there diet while on the table.
    chris.

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Awsome build Thanks Tim Jones

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Its what is reffererd to as a "FRANK" short for "FRANKENSTEIN" built by Tom Cerrillo---2 steps above a Vertex and 1 step above a Schieffer and a very sought after piece and very,very pricey

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great stuff! sure appreciate you taking the time to put this on the hamb for us!

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Bingo.... The ever so popular Frankie MAG.... I finally have one and all is right with the world. More news next week. I'm about to get roll'n on this thing. Hope to be on the wheels in a month or two.

~Berta

6. RM-Special

RM-Special

Jipp ,Cirello are still in business unfortunately the link to the detailed history at Nitrogeezers no longer seems to work but here is the Cirello page for your interest.
    http://www.tomcirellomagnetos.com/History.htm
    Cheers RM

7. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Great stuff Robert. Always looking forward to the updates. Todd

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Motor plate is all machined up and fits like a glove.... Time for pipe!

~Robert

Attached Files:

9. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Just to save you from getting burned, it's tube not pipe :p

Nice kennedy clamps by the way :)

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

You can never have too many clamps.....

;)

11. rick finch

rick finch

He's not gonna get burned...been called "pipe" forever.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Piperack, oil derrick,.......:D

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Let's hope this Piperack doesn't PUMP oil like a derrick... ;)

Today will be spent cleaning up a little and fitting the lower rail for the last time. I think I need to fab up one more fixture for the back to support shit a little. We will see as the day progresses.

~Berta

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK... Back to work.... So I have been wanting some way to grab ahold of all the shit on the back of the car and really lock it down while fitting up the tubes. The car will be rock solid once all the uprights are in place and tacked, but it's sure a unmanageable mess until that time. So... I went to the never ending pile of Aluminum and built a fixture for the rear of the car. This is all machined up dead nuts square and perfect so when the bolts are tightened up this thing is rock solid. It's adjustable in 1/2" increments on both upper and lower rails so I can use it for other cars in the future, should the need arise??? Everything is really think Alum which is nice and rigid for clamping etc. The cross members are bolted only in the center so they can pivot and fit up flus with the tubes. Here's a few pics of the unit after yesterday and today making lots of aluminum shavings!

~Robert M.

Attached Files:

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ok... Now we're cook'n with gas... That fixture is paying off big time for supporting the tail end of this thing.

[​IMG]

Next big move is to fit the lower rail and tack it all together. Now I have been dick'n around with this for quite some time, so today I only had to make a few adjustments and then the final slices could be made. I made sure that all the joints have plenty of overlap as well as holes allowing for rosette welds at each joint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fish mouth up at the torsion tube needs a bit more love and then the lower rail will be complete.
    [​IMG]

I'll have this tacked up and solid by this evening. Then will work on a few key uprights!

Too Cool....

16. Irish

Irish

I love this thread! It's very interesting to see how it's done. Thank you for posting! Is the car going to be for more than cackling? Will you also race it?

17. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Man! I enjoy writing it all up.... Gotta share these things.

This will be strictly a Cackle Deal... But there will hopefully be a few smoky burn-outs in it's future as well.

~Robert M.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Robert,
    Rosetts are for when you butt splice same dia. tubeing, You dont need rosetts for splice/telescopic joints, reason being if one were to change the front main rails all that needed to be done was to cut behind the weld and pull whats left out of tube and shove a new piece back in.

19. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Killer Thread !!! thanks Robert

20. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Robert,

What brand are those clamps you are using to hold the torsion bar in? Where do I source them?

Thanks!

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ah Ha!! That makes sense.... Damn... Well this car gets the Rosettes... Upper rail might not at this point as I still haven't cut anything yet! Rear-End Uprights and Upper Hoop will start happening tonight.

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Those clamps are "KANT-TWIST" 's

any good machine tool place or places like grainger- mcmastercarr - msc

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Right On Ron! Thanks Much!

Ah there's 2 types. I use the Kant-Twist Clamps as well as Bessey Sliding clamps. I always wait for the sale papers from Enco to get killer deals on them.

Cheers,

Robert

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So! Cool part was finishing up the fish mouth on the front rails and then dropping everything into place! 100% Perfection..... STOKED!!!!!! Happy to report that it's all tacked together and looks good!

[​IMG]

Next up! Uprights and the upper hoop...

[​IMG]

More news soon,

Berta

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Fit them joints! Nice and tight...

Attached Files:

26. billys54

billys54

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Robert for the next one try this.
    When fitting the framerail tubes to the torsion tubemake the come together point 1/2" bigger that the dia of the torsion tube (1/4" top x 1/4" bottom). That will give you two things.
    1) more captured area around the highly loaded torsion tube(heat and tap the ends down)
    2) It reduces a long weld area along the top and bottom rail.Right now you are looking at over 48" of welding. Now, before you start to weld those long sections you should place a piece of 1" tubing between them and run a furniture jack to the torsion tube and give it a little squeeze to compinsate for weld shrinkage and start at the back where the two start to meet with a good tack then start doing support tacks down the lenth of the joint.
    Last thing ,make sure you drill a 1/16" vent hole anywhere you make a joint

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Bruce,

Yeah that's a smart way to do the front for sure! Thanks for the tip on the 1" tube and the Clamp. That's a solid one for sure.

I Did wrap the bottom as you won't see it but the top had to land like shown. There's a really clear picture of the front of the car in one of the Mag Articles and I wanted it to look the same. But the bottom extends around a fair amount. I feel that your way is not only structurally better, but has a 'trick" look to it.

I'm planning to tack a brace along the Torsion Tube as well to help in holding it straight during the weld process. Finally back home after running errands all day... Back to fitting some tubes!

Cheers,

Robert M.

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Y'all,

Not too much to talk about other than a bunch of cut'n, grind'n, & weld'n. Things are moving along just fine and the car is really coming out great. Funny how this tube wants to move around on you a bit! A little clamp here, and a little shove there but she's coming out straight as an arrow. If you look at the tacks on some of the uprights they are actually complete welds. Some may say this isn't right, but I assure you there's method to my madness. Once the front section is locked down I will complete the rear. And YES!!! It really had square tube for the front engine uprights!!! Thanks to all the folks that took pictures over the years.... I'd be dead without them.

Cheers,

Robert M.

A few Kodaks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. jfrolka

jfrolka