Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatever happened to "Fat Jack" Robinson?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

IIRC Boyd built at least one black center-door (1915?) T sedan. Frank Oddo shot one of them for Street Rodder mag in the early 70's when Boyd was still working at Disneyland.

Lil''s Cad-T sedan was a '26 body and was painted brown metallic. I have the feature issue of HRM somewhere in my collection.

I always liked Fat Jack's cars. It seemed like he was pushing a simpler, less-is-more agenda back when everybody else was chasing the Indy-car suspension billet everything trend. Best of luck to him in whatever he's up to these days.

2. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

Congratulations pasadenahotrod, you passed the test! Yes, you correctly pointed out that the man from Texas who purchased the Buttera-built '32 Ford 3-W hi-boy coupe from my dad (aka, "Fat Jack" Robinson big-time-car-builder) back in the 1980's is NOT Roy PICKFORD but actually Roy PIGFORD. So, giving credit where it is so well deserved, you did have a few facts straight (about 3 to be exact). You pinpointed that the car in question my dad sold was a '32 Ford 3-W coupe, that it was sold to a man in Texas, and that it suffered damage from an electrical fire while being transported in a trailer. Again, Kudos to you, sir! Oh, and "Fat Jack Robinson big-time-car-builder" did mention that he did perform a test drive for the benefit of the new owner, but he's not sure if he made 3 consecutive donuts and straightened the front end out upon completion and smoked the rear tires for 100 yards or pulled both front wheels off the ground at the same time (memories are fleeting after 25 years).

As for the real story as it happened according to FJRBTCB (Fat Jack Robinson big-time-car-builder) he explained that the new owners stopped to stay at a roadside motel overnight on their journey home to transport the coupe Texas and awoke the next morning, looked inside the trailer prior to departing and noticed the electrical fire damage at that time, not while eating in a cafe with smoke billowing out of the trailer. Apparently, the electrical fire started and ended inside the trailer unbeknownst to the new owner sometime during the night while asleep in the motel room. The origin of the fire was suspected to have something to do with the secured battery in the trunk, though F.J. added that the true reason for it is unknown to him. So there you have it. FJ sells car to PIGFORD, car catches fire and soon goes out in trailer while new owner is asleep in motel, new owner discovers fire damage the next morning, and vehicle is transported home to Texas and repainted Boyd red after electrical fire damage repaired...THE END! (Oh, and FHRBTCB said he was paid in full as well, with no reimbursement requested by the new owner due to the fire damage allegedly caused by donuts executed by an over zealous big-time-car-builder...or was it "big-shot-car-builder"?...would you be so kind as to refresh my memory, pasadenahotrod?).;)

3. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

fab32, I appreciate you take on this particular issue and your opinion on pasadenahotrod. However, my only wish is to inform and attempt to set the record straight when possible, as was the case in this instance, and the reason for my lengthy responses (in constrast to most HAMB'ers). Besides, I feel it can be entertaining to read and attempt to absorb some of the responses and commentary on this automotive enthusiast on-line forum, whether right or wrong, well meaning or demeaning, overlly opinionated or factually truthful as represented by each individual in this corner of cyber space. So, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but you know what people say about that.....Thanks for the compliment on F.J., well stated and accurate as far as his car building style.....PRE48V-8

4. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

One of my favorite cars of all time!

I had a couple of Fat Jack 46 t-shirts that I wore out back in high school.

I remember see that car up close and personal and it was amazing. :cool:

[​IMG]

5. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Yeah, That car is the reason why I loved 46-48 Ford Coupes so much. Being 8 or 9 at the time, and reading the Hot Rod articles really made an impression.

I also remember the black 40' Sedan (Moreland?) he built that was badass!

Fat Jack, Lil John, Garlits, Bernstein.....Those were my heros growing up........

6. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Jerry Moreland had some very cool cars back then. The 1940 Sedan was one of the cleanest and coolest rides of its time!

deathrowdave likes this.
  7. MTP

MTP

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's of little consequences, and a bit O/T to this thread, But Boyd Coddington's "T" that was featured at Disneyland was a '27 two door. It was I believe Nov. 1976 Street Rodder. Coddington did build a couple of centerdoor "T" sedans prior to that in the earlier seventies, and at least one was featured in Street Rodder in about '74 or '75. If memory serves correct, Tom Mcmullin shot the feature and ended up buying the centerdoor soon after. Like I said, a bit off topic, but might as well set the record straight.

9. muddman355

muddman355
    from sydney

hi looking to visit fat jacks shop if possible inapril/early may? is his shop still in wildomar? or lake elsinore? just trying to do some research before i come over from oz

thanks

10. MoFoMOD

MoFoMOD
    from SO CAL USA

yes it is and he is still building bad ass cars out there.

11. silent rick

silent rick

whatever happened to fat hack?

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

I can remember the buttera built cars especially the 26 sedan and that 32 with the ball milled billet firewall. I actually used that idea in 96 when redoing my 35 chevy. Was a great way to cover up a whole lot of 10/32 holes all around the perimeter.

Hal Pantera Presents Fat Jack Ultra cars and components, greatest 2 page center spread advert ever in Rod action magazine in 1984 I believe. It featured a 32 chassis all state of the art, belly pan louvered, small block ford motor with weber injunction, all done with aeroquip fittings. The pully system was all billet and COG BELT drive, totally wild for the day and never duplicated by anyone else ?

Back in 1996 when i was just starting to redo my chev, i spotted a colour advert, one column long in street rodder i think , from FAT JACK in wildomar calif. I immediately telephoned the shop , spoke to a distant relative ? named Butch Lynch and ordered an air con alt bracket in aluminum that was milled from a sheet of aluminum, a total work of art. They were doing fantastic oval air cleaners with K&N air filters. I also ordered the alt pully, the water pump pully and the balencer pully, which i never got, dispite waiting 4 months. I got all the rest of the parts. His designs were way ahead of everybody else.
    mike lynch....Canada

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ask Fat Jack about the Oil of Wintergreen the guy with the Altered 96" Roadster P/U gave him for the slicks on the '48 Coupe...(and what Al's reaction to it was after all that bite!) Baylands, '84? Prior to the McPherson Strut front suspension...

14. BetterClassics47

BetterClassics47

So I just joined H.A.M.B. after buying a classic 1947 Ford DeLuxe 2 door sedan reportedly made by Fat Jack. It's dark green with a light beige leather/fabric interior with purple accents on the (350 Chevy) valve covers, air cleaner and generator bracket. Seems the original purchaser got it when Jack was in Wildomar, CA. Anyone (Pre48-V8?) able to verify. I'd love to drive the car by his shop and get it verified and to learn some of the "skinny" on what went into it.

15. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Fat Jack is the reason I dig '46 to '48 fords!

16. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

hey John, iam glad to call your dad ( Fat Jack) my friend and Boyd was always good to me too. lots of good times at occa in the 80's ha

17. I have seen quite a few of Jack's cars up close, and they are amazing. Very, very nice attention to detail. I always liked the way he did the hard lines in the engine compartment, and his use of brush-finished and painted components instead of chrome. I always took quite a few mental notes, and am proud to say that I have used many of his ideas on my own stuff.

He always used to have the coolest early '60s Country Squire wagons in his booth at all the shows.

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think I've said it in the past, but I love your pickup Homie!!

I'd love to see more photos of FJ's '28(?) roadster. The one with the chrome wires and the stretched out 135s. That is the epitome of bitchin'.

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

No gotts?!

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

There we go!
    Gracias

21. JD Miller

JD Miller

Ive never met Fat Jack, seen him around here though and see his shop. Think his daughter used to drive a nicely painted chevy mini van. Talked to her at the Round-up gas. Was checking out a Orange 72 chevy truck made into a 4 door setting on a newer chevy DuraMax deisel 4x4 frame. Think that was fat jack putting groceries in it

22. DRD57

DRD57

Fat Jack's shop painted that car and did a few other things on it but, they did not build it. It was built and owned by Rick Ray in Glendora, CA

23. rickyray

rickyray

better classics 47. I recently joined the hamb. saw your post. I am the original owner/builder of the green 47 sedan. I sent you an email message with some contact info if you are interested. wouldnt mind sharing the history of the car. also have some build photos.

24. Pretty sure he passed away?

25. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Jack did????

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

26. You sure? With the network here on the HAMB, that would have been big news.

27. TV

TV

Sutton, Fat Jack did not build Moreland's 2 door sedan. Tom Vogley built it at his home in Stanton. Tom had just left Street Rodder MAG. He did work for a lot of us in that time frame. Tom has a lot of talent.--TV

28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

That's what I thought too, but would love verification!

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.