Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Cord Westchester Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by van's rod shop, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I found the remains of this old heap on Craig's list. I have the doors (suicide fronts) which hinge on the middle post. Hinges rusted solid. The post is totally rusted out at the bottom and was evidently secured to a wood piece at the top. All the wood was rotted, the floor, and most of the uni-body "frame" rocker/ door sills are gone, the bottom of the doors are eaten away. I have managed to free up one hinge enough to open the door and cut it loose from the support. I will have to use an alternative hinge I suppose. Know of any? So anyhow, I have this and a '40 Ford front axle, 454 and a 400, a 9" with some 5:29 gears and a bunch of other stuff. The engine will probably set high - kinda Gasser style.
    The big deal is the rockers. I'd like to find some replacements, there have been some made but not discover-able as yet. I'd like to wedge cut the doors to pinch the body about 6 inches in the front. A Photoshop guy would sure help as I have never done a wedge cut before. It will get a total box tube frame and a severe drop suicide perch in the front. The rear tires are 36" tall Mudders -loud but not as loud as the exhaust I'll build! As long as it's gonna be ugly, it might as well be offensive to the ears as well - am I right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Oh dear...I don't see this ending well at ALL...

3. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

i just don't understand how you can spend ANY time here reading or interacting and not know that a thread like this is going to get nuked.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

5. Cub8556

Cub8556

Come on man, 116 posts and you haven't learned about the use of R** R**

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

popcorn anyone ?

7. HammerDown

HammerDown

Oh it will definitely be offensive...

8. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

forget the use of the word rat rod rod how about the 36" tall mudders....complete waste

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we should give this guy a break. From the way I originally read this, he is saving it from some clown on Craig's List and is tryoing to do something right by it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I can see thgis turning out OK. At least, he's not going to put a MII on it.

10. I'll take extra butter and salt on my popcorn,Please

11. Thank you - after all I thought this was a site for Hot Rodders. Remember what that means?
    Or did you guys write checks for your rides that someone else built?
    Maybe you like Mustangs too -
    I happen to like cars that are DIFFERENT!

12. Ummmm 2003 join date and you still don't know the dos and don'ts of the HAMB?-Weeks

13. So why don't you tell me -

14. Cub8556

Cub8556

Maybe I misread your OP but mudder tires have nothing to do with traditional hot rods, kinda what this site is all about.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Damn, that's nasty!! :eek:

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

At first glance I see a North East Modified Stock Car...........butter and salt on mine.

18. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Hey Van, Just eliminate the word ratrod from your post and you should be able to run with it. Just a thought.

19. henry29

henry29

I really hate to see a cord Rat Roded, one of my favorite cars,
    Are you sure its a cord and not a hupmobile or Hollywood graham?

20. Deuces

Deuces

Hotdogs are better....

Attached Files:

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

Reading and comprehension,those two things use to go together. The thread is titled as a " *** Rod ,its looks like one so as said earlier read the rules and don't whine and bitch when you break them. Common sence ,if you want to build a *** rod find a site that is for them. Give him a break,yeah right !

22. Sorry I thought this was the Hokey Ass Message Board.
    My ride is definitively that, so therefore -
    I am more qualified to post than "Traditional, we're the only cool guys".
    Not only that but Traditional costs too much now days -I've built those cars already. Everyone has one now. Who's got something interesting?

23. First, a Cord in ANY shape is anything but a "heap", second... well, everyone else has already said more than enough about the rest of your terminology :)

24. Deuces

Deuces

It's plain and simple...... No rat rods allowed!
    Read the rules!!! And have a nice day! :)

25. The guy I got it from told me his father restored an 810 Westchester and this was the "parts car". It was bad when they got it 30 years ago and just left it out to rust into the mud when they got done with it. I love and respect these cars too. I really like the lines and attitude that the basic body has so I wanted to do something different. This will be different!
    Just like Traditional hot rods used to be back in their day.

26. henry29

henry29

A hupmobile or a Hollywood graham could be used as a parts car for a cord, would still be nice to know what it really is

27. It really is a 1936 Cord - Look it up if you can't believe the info I already gave -

28. henry29

henry29

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, YOU LOOK IT UP

29. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

car would make a much better custom, maybe explore that idea, you'd still have something unique and it wouldn't be ugly (maybe)

30. henry29

henry29

Hupmobile amd Hollywood Graham both used the Cord bodies, they bought the old dies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.