Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mosimpson

mosimpson

Hey Dan -

Could you post up some pics of the the wiring where it plugs into the frame/body. My brother and I have talked about doing this with our sedan because we're constantly taking the body on and off the frame. I forsee even when we get it running wanting to take the body off to work on things. Or if it's to hard to get some good pics could you give a brief explanation of the wiring you have that gets unplugged?

By the way, I think the gold is going to look great and offer a nice contrast.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Dan your old Dad sent me the pics earlier and it now looks even better !!!, That Gold looks just right on the motor.
    If you plant anymore money trees send some to me as mine has stopped producing.

3. Nice to see you back on it Dan. The engine looks awesome!! It is really going to pop and add another dimension to an already cool ride.

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I've always been partial to gold engines, especially against a white firewall...it looks awesome, Dan!!! :cool:

5. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Ouchie! Sorry to see that Pete. I hear you about it being easier disassembled. Sure, it takes a little extra time upfront, but it does make the project easier in the long run.

The new rear end sounds like a great thing though. That will look great since it is so exposed on your car. I look forward to your progress Pete

That's the truth. One lesson I have learned is to try & make everything easy to disassemble & service. You WILL have to take it apart at some point, I think it is worth the extra time to do it right. I always try to think ahead about how something will be to take apart once it is all together, & avoid things like hidden, impossible to get to bolts, etc. Simple is good

Thanks man, I appreciate! I used Weather Pack connectors everyplace that I wanted to be able to unplug something to remove. They are awesome, really high quality oem grade connectors.

They come in many different configurations- as small as a 1-pin plug for a single wire, to as many as a 6-pin plug. Here is the kit I used, it was enough to do everything I needed:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/755-piece-weather-pack-kit-p-380.html

You will also need a special tool to put these together. It's a little pricey, but it REALLY works great, it crimps these together perfect:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/...weather-pack-connectors-1420-gauge-p-365.html

If you do an internet search for "weatherpack" you will find a ton of info on these, even on YouTube I think.

I even used these plugs on everything needed to unbolt & remove my dash. Everything unplugs, so I don't have to cut any wires to disassemble any part of my car. It took me longer to wire the car, but I am SO happy now that I have had to take the car completely apart, it made it easy!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help

What's up Steve! I started thinking of doing this in gold when You & Sue were visiting, now that I see it I really am glad I did-thanks!

I hear you on the money tree problems:eek: Mine is not producing enough either I'm afraid

Thanks man! I am really excited to see the car back together! I think (hope) that it will look better this way. The black motor kinda blended in too much

Thank you Keith. I am the same, I really like the way that gold looks on the wimbledon white firewall. Will probably be a little tougher to keep clean though:eek:

6. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

What's up Scott! Thanks btw. I am officially outta the loop! How is your car coming man? I gotta catch up tonight. Here's a crude diagram of my situation:

O ................................................................................x

..^
    ..........................................................^
    loop is here
    .........................................I am here:D

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

Love the color!!!! glad to see youre excited and getting after it!

8. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Amazing build. Truly great from beggining to now. Keep on trucking!LB

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, I am excited again to get the old girl going again.

Thank you BD, I really appreciate. Soon to be trucking:p

10. Skirv

Skirv

I think the gold/black/white combo looks REALLY nice Dan.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA!!! Yeah, that's about where I am as well! :rolleyes::eek::D No, actually I've been working my pants off on all those little details on the body that have to be done before I can prep for paint. ERRR!!! Frustrating and slow. So basically I'm still working on the same stuff as last time you asked! HAHA! :eek::eek: Boooooo!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well when you're not going to Pottery Barn and having Spinache dip parties you're working your tail off. 62 days. :D:D:D:D:D:D

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Your new colors are simply, EXCELLENT !

14. ditto...tis evolving for the better.

Keep cracking, you're making progress.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

15. farmer12

farmer12

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but this build is getting better and better. Awesome stuff!
    btw, just given you 5 stars for the excellent work!

16. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Bill, what's going on bud? Thank you , I am liking it! Hey, we really look forward to seeing you & the family @ the Turkey Run, can't wait to see you there

I hear you Scott, those things seem to take forever. That part of the project seems to be endless sometimes, but I try to not look at EVERYTHING that needs done & focus on 1 thing at a time. Otherwise I get way overwhelmed. Keep it up my friend, you ARE getting close!

Hahahaha I about peed myself laughing JJ:p:p

Thank you, I really appreciate. I was on the fence about this before I did it, but now I really think it should work out well

Thanks bud! I am so glad to again be moving forward again.

Thank you for that, & the nice words. I have been frustrated with the car for the past few months, but I got my mojo back, I'm excited again!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOOO! No dip for you!! ;):D So how's that brake master cylinder coming, Jeffy Cakes?? ;)

18. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Looking good brother!

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man! How have you been doing?? Me & pops were just talking about you & the coupe the other night. I hope all is well

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well me & dad made some more progress on the motor reassembly. I wanted to degree the cam this time around, but have never done that before.

So we called he machine shop that did our machine work, and they said to bring it by, they would be happy to do it.

They are a great bunch of guys. So me & dad threw together a quick engine cart & brought it to them. I wish I had a fraction of the engine knowledge these guys have.

After about a 1/2 hour, the cam was all degreed. As it turns out, my cam was 4 degrees advanced as built, but now it is all dialed in. It really was nice to watch the guys do this.

So yesterday we got the heads on, along with the oil pan, timing cover, & water pump. Next week I am bringing the long block back to the machine shop, along with the intake manifold. They are going to check to be sure the intake mounting surface is straight & true. If needed, they can make a minor cut to true it up if needed. Then I can paint the intake & get it back on.

I also got the crank & water pump pulleys polished. I ended up making a mount for each to put them on my drill press to spin them. This made it WAY easier to wet sand, & then to polish. The drill press did all the work instead of me:eek: Here's some pics of that:
    [​IMG]

And of the motor coming back together. The gold photographs horribly(like me:D), the gold looks different in every pic, & none of them really look like it does in person. For what it's worth, color is pretty close to this:
    [​IMG]

But, here is where we stand, thanks for looking!

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  21. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Looks good I always love seeing this thread at the top, keep up the great work.

Also your right that Gold does look different in every picture!

22. llonning

llonning

Glad that you are getting it back together. It's going to look fantastic when you get it finished.

Len

23. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks Casey, I appreciate that! Yeah, the gold is funky to photograph for sure. At least it doesn't photograph pink:p

Thank you Len, that makes two of us haha! I am really excited to see the car reassembled again

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's awesome, Dan...it's gettin close!

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking great again Dan, I really like the gold, looks good against the firewall,

26. Yeah that gold is going to look cool.

27. Skirv

Skirv

Very nice Dan! I said it before but the gold Oldmobile really looks nice...as of course does the rest of the car.

28. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Keith, thanks a ton man. It's getting there. I honestly don't feel like I have yet driven the car. It will feel like I am finishing it for the 1st time, again... Kind of a 2-for-1 deal :D:D

Hey Steve, what's going on? Thank you for the nice words. I wasn't really sure I would like it, but now I am really happy I did. I will be even more excited to see it actually IN the car:p

Thanks Bill! The main reason I painted the motor black the 1st time around is because I didn't know for sure what color I was going to paint the car. Happily, I decided against the hot pink haha

Thanks DJ-I wish I could get the gold to photograph right:confused:

29. chaddilac

chaddilac

You got it back together yet! we're waiting on updates Dan!!! :D

30. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Then let's stab that motor back in the car. I'll fly out on Wednesday to help, and you can be driving it again before Christmas! :D