Register now to get rid of these ads!

100 million smallblocks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandkrusty, Dec 17, 2011.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

2. Deuces

Deuces

Cool! :D More for us to play with!... :rolleyes:

3. Well, I was disappointed to see they're counting the LS series as if it were the same basic engine as the original (I guess we're supposed to call it Gen I now?). The original Chev small block, dispite all the pissing and moaning about bellybutton status, is a milestone engine on it's own.............whatever the real, hypeless volume was/is. No matter what nouveau rodders want to believe, there're a lot of good reasons the flathead was supplanted as the go to engine for hotrods by this little marvel (and flamers, relax, I enjoy my flatheads as much as my SBCs, just in a different way). This story probably came more from the advertising department than from engineering or production.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I keep remembering going to the Nhra events years ago. There was an announcer that always ranted for a long time about the v-6s that were being produced then. His point was there would be two or three times the number of v-6s built than small blocks and they would be the drag race engine of the future.I didn't believe it then and still don't.
    The small block chevy may also have the distinction of being in more different models of cars and trucks than any other, but I would have no way of proving that.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Bogus. Dont get me wrong, I love the gen III motors, have thought about building a carburated gen III 327 for my Chevy II, but to consider them as a continuation of the original small-block geneology?? I dont think so.

6. nukeGM

nukeGM

Great! 100,000 poorly manufactured low grade oil burning high maintenance shit box chubbies!
    Lets Party!

7. Deuces

Deuces

Guess you don't know how to work on them, huh??? :rolleyes:

8. missing some 0's?

9. Deuces

Deuces

He don't even know how to count...

10. a true genius!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is under the miss-impression that badmouthing something gives him cool guy status. If you check his posts for the last four years most of the time he only chimes in when he has a chance to badmouth GM.
    But straight from his personal info page look at what he lists as owning
    70 Chevelle ugly terd
    69 Camaro Rust infested planned obsolescense
    78 Caprice Classic, Insurance Burea voted it worst US car ever built.
    1984 Eurosport -Now Really, Would a european car maker build a terd with just idoit lights for guages?
    Not one even close to being a traditonal vehicle and all Chevrolet.

I still wonder if in the 39's and 40's non Ford guys called flathead V8 Ford engines belly button engines because "anyone" could build one cheap.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Ha ha.... Yep! :D

13. I once saw in an old 60's Hot Rod Magazine "Anybody can build a Chevy"

I am a Chevy guy, have a 302 in my 67 Camaro and today am finishing up an 11.25 to 1 350 with 305 525 hydraulic, Performer RPM intake and aluminum Corvette heads that are full ported, polished etc...as cookie cutter as it may be, it will likely be reliable and go real well.

14. the small block chevy is in the same category as blue jeans, hamburgers, oak flooring and beer. good, reliable, and cost effective.

15. Deuces

Deuces

.... Kinda like baseball, hotdogs and mom's home made apple pie.... Ya just can't beat it! :)

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think all that partying has taken it's toll on a few brain cells. :rolleyes:

Don

17. belair

belair

I have 5. Who has the rest?

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmmm, judging by the way NHRA factored the SNOT out of the 351 clevelands in Pro-Stock in the '70s, they didn't agree...:eek::D

19. Deuces

Deuces

I only have 2 sets of #416?? 305 4-bbl heads.. :(

20. BELLM

BELLM

belair I have 3 smallblock Chevys in drivers, 8 good more complete engines, and 11 more good ones that need to be built. I think. May be more not sure,. 1 265 3 283s, 1 305, 6 327s rest are 350s. Just to even thing out I have 5 Ford flathead v8s,

21. Couldn't have sold 100 million if they were a bad design. I have 3, 283s and a 350 waiting in the storage garage. Have enough stuff to bolt together a killer 301 and another 292.

22. Deuces

Deuces

I'd like to see that 301/302 buildup whenever you get to it... Hint, hint!.. Thanks Rocky!! :)

23. If for some reason my 370 Pontiac engine doesnt' work out I'll build a 301 for my 34 five window...will document it here on the HAMB

24. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeeeeet! :D
    Thanks buddy! :)

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dueces, did I mention to you that the last time I was at my dads house, I found an early sixties 283 that I'd forgot I'd stashed?;)

26. I for one love my small block chevys, One in each of the daily drivers two ready to go on engine stands and several dissasembled ready to rebiuld. It seems like bad mouthing these engines is cool these days with everyone trying to find nailheads old hemis and caddy engines, but to each there own i geuss If you want to spend five times the money to be different go for it

27. Wow is this guy going to be upset when he finds out there are 1000 times as many as he thinks, or would that be thought, or maybe thunk ... Hell never mind, there was no thinking

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a four of them, cant say I really LOVE them though, its more like when you take in one stray cat, more just seem to accumulate. I just hope none of my FE's or BB Mopars catch anything from them.

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Love the SB, embrace the SB. Its the flathead of the future.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny stuff. DAMN those LS motors!