Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

After doing several frame swaps on these trucks, I have to question why anyone is using the dare I say it, S10 frame. If you like to do a lot of modifying go for it. My frame of choice is the long wheelbase Ford Ranger 1983 - 1991. A very simple swap, that fits nicely. Currently doing a 39 International, no cab cutting at all. Totally non traditional I know, but I have been building pickups out of 2 Ton farm trucks, so I didn't have a frame to start with. Verbal Kint's pickup started out as a 2Ton farm truck.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just curious lowriders art, Is that still the twin I beams or were they A arm by that time?

3. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

this truck is awesome the one in the pic on the far left.... awesome///// so how you get pics up on this thing???

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Completogrande,
    I'm the least technically capable computer person on this or any planet, but the way to do pictures is instead of clicking "post reply", click "go advanced". Scroll down to manage attachments and click. Go into your pictures and choose, click "upload photos" and wait for it to load. Close out the "manage attachments" window and post.

5. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

The Ranger Pickups used twin I beam all the way through. I quit using the frames after 91 because the front frame rails are designed to fold on impact. There are several manufacturers for dropped I beams. The Ranger pedals and steering column mount, work nicely as well. Verbal Kint's truck uses the 42 Ford steering column bolted to the Ranger column and pedal assembly. The power brake mounts to the firewall very easily. A simple Ford steering knuckle tig welded to the shaft mates it up. I have literally done this swap in the backyard in less than two weekends total time. I like the idea of all Ford parts, easily obtainable, and any shop could work on it if you were stranded on the road. This truck was built to be a driver, and he uses it daily as a shop truck. The gas tank was available in the standard mid chassis location, which has worked fine on the last 5 builds, or as an optional rear tank, which may open up more options.

6. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

so again.. sorry for all the retared questions but... best frame.. for 1947 ford 1 ton... and the winner issss???......if you guys got lots of pic.. let me know.. video would be epic... even just a hello on video would be creepy cool.... lol

7. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

these guys that have 15 " rims......they changes the diffs right.... cause my ride has 17's and the drunks are retarded huge.......

8. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

this is the turck i got right now... so what exactly type truck is this.....and what can be done to it.. i want it lower.. how to achieve this .....i got a shop i can use ....

Attached Files:

9. Bad ass fords

Bad ass fords

this is my daughters 47 ford that Im building for her

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If I found a nice straight one I'd drag it home, but it would still be ugly. I'd much rather have a 49-50.

11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Heres one im putting on a ranger chassis.

[​IMG]

With the bed.

[​IMG]

12. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

sweet very cool.. the boxes with those cool fenders from what year to what year..... i was lookin at the green fod...... very awesome.. so thats on a ranger chassis...what year ranger? ...... see i want to change my chassis over just because my tires are 17" and split rims...(i seen some dudes with 15's on there but my guess is they swapped chassis or diffs is this right?....and mine sits so high (ugly)...... very cool guys.. i love all your pics.. keep them comin....... i apprciate all your info... and knowledge....... .. thanks guyz....... anyone from alberta/canada by chance..?

13. LOL lots of us from Alberta and Canada. There are actually quite a few of us right in Edmonton and area. Everyones location is located right under their Screen name when they post if they share it.

14. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Thanks guys. This thread is just what I needed. We had a little accident with the 46 and Sherry Pat decided that we needed to change things up a little. Your pics of the Mercury grills were just the ticket. If you know anyone with an extra for sale PM me please.

Attached Files:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ouch! I looked down here in the souther half of the states for a Long time for one to no avail... Maybe some one up north can help!

16. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

Yo... I had no idea.....sweet ... I'd love to hear some stories or ideas in the summer .... I tried starting my truck today after putting back my water pump . I kinda freed it up and was hopping that having it running will free it up even more.... After cutting out some cut wires and splicing in new ones.... There was lots of smoke.. I swear almost started a fire

17. the're so uuggllyyyyy you can't help but love them.

Attached Files:

• 067.JPG
      067.JPG
      File size:
      150 KB
      Views:
  18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Well that's a shame, would be an even bigger shame to let Sherry Pat do that to a Merc!!

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Damn...I wish you were closer....I have a nose from a 47 that I don't know what to do with.

20. agshelby

agshelby

My Dads 47. It sits on stock suspension in the front, with a disc conversion. The rear is a later model 9".

It is number three in my queue to re-do. It is a 80s street rod and needs some attention (velour interior, aluminum wheels, etc). But - could all be fixed in a few weeks time. I am going to drop it several inches and put on some steelies.

[​IMG]

21. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

hey guyz i got a question for you wizards....i'm changing my 6volt to 12.. now i did the solenoide.. the condensor on the distrib..(points)....my guages are still connected but ill do the 12v to 6volt drop latas... i just heard it will read wrong.... now in my cab... it looks like a fuse box kinda thinga ma hopper dumflicky and looking through pictures i realized it was a factory condenso to the coil.....(which i changed to 12volt)..... now do i add the new ballast condensor.... on the hot wire to the coil... orrrr.... do i eleminate the factory one and put the new ballast condensor....... the little fuse box thingy looks like it has the factory condensor on one side.. and magnetic switches on the other... i should have taken pictures but ill do that tomorrow...(thoughts).............. aaaaannnddddddddd enlighten me.... lol... thanks guyz...another question i got..... can you change your points to the newer style distrib......( like my 64 impala i put a H.E.I........) but with the flat head i got.. the distrib.. is right in the front of the motor.....is there any room... ????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  22. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

hey guyz look what i found under the seat covered in mud....... i cleaned it up scanned it... and tried enhancing some areas.. hope this is helpfull for some people....

Attached Files:

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

i fall in the ugly camp, but it's the same cab as a 40 and easily changed over. built one for my sister a while back. never managed to grow on me.

24. jalopy45

jalopy45

Own five of them from 42-47, because they were cheap and I like different, now after a lot of years I got people knocking on our door wanting to know if we'll sell them. Had some substantial offers but we can't sell our kids.And your kids are never ugly, they just have a unique appearance. :)

King ford likes this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Not so easily changed over. The 42 - 47 chassis is wider and has twin parallel leaf springs. The frame will protrude through the front clip of a '40.

verde742 likes this.
  26. flathead okie

flathead okie

That's cool:cool:

27. 60 ford

60 ford

Done right a 42 to 47 can make a great looking ride.

28. FANTM58

FANTM58

does anyone notice a resembelance ??

Attached Files:

King ford likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Donno. I see a lot of "inner beauty" there.

30. One I'm trying to get.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014