Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Joe Fiore's latest completed restoration. The Milt Smith Offy. There are other pictures over at the cageless midget thread.

[​IMG]

2. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

Very Nice restoration

3. KK500

KK500

Can anyone measure a 60's CAE horizontal-bar grill for me please, the one on the Bondo'd nose in the last pic.
    These have "Culbert Auto Engineering" and "San Diego" cast into the frame and visible from the front.
    The measurement I need is the curvature of the grill bars measured as if the grill was laying flat on a table-top. Measure from the table to the highest part of the curve of EACH bar if possible.

BTW.......I have seen (and own) a vertical-bar grille but believe these to be owner_made? can anybody tell me the story behind the 2 grill designs?

Reason?..........I am in the middle of a project .....can't say too much, but, it's cast aluminum (or bronze), it's 1:6 scale and a "Liberty Classics" diecast Chebby motor with fabricated Hilborn will bolt-in to a motor plate. Hopefully w/real cast aluminum 5-window Halibrands if the foundry can do the 'window' detail in small scale. The body is 22" long!
    D'oh .....now I've told you everything!!??

Thanks in anticipation.............Jim Grant

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. KK500

KK500

And another pic of interest.............

Attached Files:

5. Did you repop the Ohlsson & Rice on the left, or is it an original? I have a complete O&R here on my desk that I saved my allowance and bought from Roscoe Turner in 1956. You see a lot of Thimble Drome cars at swap meets, but very few O&R's.
    [​IMG]

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. [Sometimes I don't get over to the "Cageless Midget" thread as much as I should.] :(

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That makes two of us.. Glad it's there, but wish I had more time to view it. Also the OLD auto racing thread...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380814&highlight=shaw

Lot of interesting history there. Not sure if my brain has enough room for that one too.

8. TommyA19

TommyA19

Found this today on the ARDC's Facebook page:

From Roy Caruther's POST: Per. Johnny Heydenriech's ex father in law he has already been released from the hospital and is staying with family

9. Buildy

Buildy

Great to hear that!

10. Buildy

Buildy

CT-PA is that Joe`s car or did he do it for a customer?

11. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Customer.

12. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Glad to hear that was team mate crew cheif and always a friend of Johnny's.

13. KK500

KK500

It's an original......lightly bead blasted
    Jim

14. TommyA19

TommyA19

Ok, here's the latest on Heydenreich:

Anyone who would like to send John Heydenreich a get-well card or note is encouraged to do so and may address it to him at 137 Proprietors Crossing, New Canaan, Conn. 06840. He is staying with his girlfriend there while he recuperates. For those who don't know, John was injured in an auto accident in the early-mornin...g hours of Monday, Dec. 5 near Greenville, N.C., while he was coming back from PRI and headed to IMIS. His injuries include a broken right arm (now plated); a bunch of cracked ribs on his right side; a shattered ankle; a broken fibula in his right leg (now plated) and about 80 stitches in his forehead that were needed because he went through the windshield of his mom's van, which was totaled. We think the crash occurred because he fell asleep at the wheel. He hit a moving semi (not a parked one according to some forums) while they were going over a bridge. Luckily the sides of the bridge kept him on the bridge, or he might not have made it. (He did not go over the bridge and into water, like some forums reported.) Anyway, he was unconscious when found, but he came to and was life-flighted to a hospital in Greenville, where he was listed as John Doe for awhile until they figured out who he was. He has since been discharged from that hospital and he's in Connecticut now. Today (Dec. 15) he had an operation in Conn. which went fine. After he recuperates some more he faces a 6-hour surgery sometime in January, which is also planned for a hospital in Conn. So please keep Hot Rod in your prayers. Thanks!

Above was from Linda Mansfield who has handled John's PR for years, and was forwarded by Ron Lauer.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I try to keep the "Self promoting" here to a Minimum.. But I know you guys would appreciate this one!!

My new Shaw Shirt Design.

Get yours here:

http://www.goodsleeveaa.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  16. racer5c

racer5c

Since there is only half a car on the shirts are they half price?

17. voodooking53

voodooking53

Kool pics Josh! Have a good Christmas and see ya at Cavalcade!
    Taz

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Its not half a car - its under the flagman's stand.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

We were probably at the same race, the old heads cheered for the Offy, but the night I was there the big Ford won....(really miss Ascot)

20. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,

I need another T-shirt like a hole in the head, but I am buying that one!

Happy Holidays!

E

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  21. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Maybe some of you west coast guys remember Colby Scroggins in Kenny Worths car.

Attached Files:

22. sramoa

sramoa

Possible any relation for Don Carr who raced in 40s and 50s years in IMCA(Pete Mocca's C2 car) and Bill Carr(Gary,IN) who raced in stock cars in 50s and 60s years?

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Possible, but I wouldn't think so. Don Carr was from Michigan, and incidentally, there was another Don Carr racing in the thirties, from New Jersey. Also, there was a Bill Carr from Idaho, running Sprints in the Northwest in the fifties. Quite a common name, methinks.

24. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Gentlemen all,
    May I take this opportunity to wish you and yours all a happy and prosperous Festive Season.
    We are twelve thousand miles away, but the enjoyment and the feeling that we are part of a larger community of like minded people that is generated by being a part of Josh's post is truly treasured down here.
    You may be in the chiller up there whilst we have Christmas dinner in 35 degrees (Celsius) and play cricket in the sun , but we think of all you guys and wish you all the best.
    Cheers, Greg in Australia

25. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I echo Trentesept's sentiment, albeit from within the shadows of the shrine that was the goal of every driver, owner, crew member, tube bender and panel beater that we remember on these pages. A larger community of like minded people? No doubt. Just look at where the last 3 posts originated; Hungary, Germany and Australia.
    To quote Tiny Tim in a Christmas Carol: "God bless us, every one". And to Johnny, Bopper, and anyone else who may be in or just out of the crash house, a speedy recovery, and the happiest possible Christmas & New Year.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Well said, jjones!!!

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I believe it falls under "Less is more".

28. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I want to wish everyone here on the best board in Racing; A Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. You are the best friends on this planet!!!
    Also, quick recoveries to Johnny and Steve.

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

Bless you too ,Spike. Stay healthy this year,please!:D

30. john burton

john burton

Happy Holidays to all you guys. Can't believe I've read all 859 pages and just now writing in!
    Anyone know if the circle track swap meet will be held next month in Indy? Where and when?
    Thanks in advance.
    john burton