Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun Visors, Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Dec 9, 2010.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like them on some cars. But they are noisy. Gary

2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

noisy? ours doesnt make a peep on our car.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I think the visor compliments our Plym. It just wouldnt look right without it

298429_10100269357756781_9033825_50547837_548156_n.jpg

299204_10100269354977351_9033825_50547766_2006946_n.jpg

310459_10100269359907471_9033825_50547885_8197599_n.jpg

4. Well I was born in the '50s and raised in the '60s. We used to peel them off and toss 'em if that gives you an idea of how I feel about them. They scream granny's grocery getter to anyone from my generation.

5. if anyone knows alot about visors .. let me know .. need help id'in

6. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the fulton visors have the name inscribed ont he silver button on the hinge of the visor. thats about all i know

7. Used to hate'em now I love em. Gotta try and find one for my DeSoto. Farmergal - is the visor on your Plymouth a Fulton?

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

yup it's a fulton. and it must've been an option at the dealership when purchased new. the car has been kept entirely original its entire life on earth and it had remnants of original paint on it. pretty neat. we love ours. it adds character

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Love them and had one on most of my mildly tweaked crusiers. They weren't used here in the UK very much as the suns hardly an issue but just love the look of them. In most cases its been purely for looks and with some UK cars can really make them stand out. When i was out living in oz alot of classic cars have them, aswell as rear venition blinds which i find equally as cool. Love one for my car but they are £500 buy the time the land here from Oz. On an Amazon, okay not the most common car here, it can really help bring down the roof line. They have pretty short windows on the side and a visor gives the effect of dropping the roof. As far as i'm aware there are less than 9 cars in the UK with a steel visor on as the visors are made from a stretched Austin A55 visor and only one guy does them. I love mine and think it makes the car look so much better. Each to their own.

[​IMG]

10. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

i hate em'
    theyre just like a continental kit ,makin the car look ''overdressed''

11. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Like em! I would love to see a photoshop with one on my wagon. Its an idea I have been kicking around

12. 41 C28

41 C28

I like the Fulton visor on my car.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You couldn't pay me to put something like that on a car! This is all about stripping stuff off to smooth it out or make it go faster, not hanging more crap on. Same feelings about skirts... Wonder if I could turn one inside out with a 135 mph blast, though!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think that just might be why the drag car visors have holes in them... slows them down! Or... in the old days... helped hold the nose high! Gary

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

As stated, positioned carefully on certain cars it improves the look (my opinion). One example would be 49-51 oldsmobiles ( not hardtops). The roof has a high crown above the windsheild that the visor when positoned right improves the lines. All to often visors get added along with curb feelers, fender or grill flags, headlight visors, dummy spots, side pipes, etc. Nothing inherently wrong with any one of these afterall its your car if thats what you like, but in a lot of cases just clutters the car.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's mine, clear visor, clear hubcaps and a cute girl
    [​IMG]

17. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Clear hubcaps to match the visor? Very cool!
    New-old-Pep-Boys or did you steal your girlfriend's cooking pot lids?

18. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

where did you get/find those at?
    i got a visor on the '51. going to replace with a baseball cap visor i have sitting in my shed sooner or later though.

Attached Files:

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They're called Beauty Bubbles, I've got three sets, 14" in yellow, green and blue, they were sold back in the 60s.
    The visor came from the HAMB, it was NOS made in Chicago, it's called a Vision Visor.

20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

it's our car; the visor came on the car new from the dealership that way and we think it greatly improves the car. to each their own. it is your vehicle to do what you want with it. Its a matter of opinion and if someone likes a the look of the visor on their car...all the more power to them to do what they think is right. I'm the type of person to believe that you shouldnt go forward with things based on the likes of someone else's judgment and opinions or what someone else thinks is "right and wrong." As a purchaser you bought the car with your hard earned cash. Do what YOU want; not what others THINK is right or wrong. I'm a firm believer in the fact the fulton visor on our plym "makes" the car. it improves the roofline drastically and from the side and front-view depletes the height of the windshield giving a more pleasing picture to the eye. People can mumble jumble all they want about thir poor opinions about our Plym but in the end; its the decision of the one paying the bills. :)

21. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

good point, its seems there are several schools of thought at play here.. hot rods and speed, vs. low and slow boulevard crusing.. and then the two schools mix when you start adding lakes pipes and glasspacks to your low and slow boulevard cruiser.. i have always liked the visors and connie kits on 50's cars, but they defeat the purpose IMO on a kustom..

22. OldTC

OldTC

They look great on the right car,
    like crap on the wrong car,
    and sometimes,..........they just look ehhh.

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sun visors on customs have always struck me as a recent thing, and moreover not based on any in-depth understanding of custom origins. I think people use them because they're '50sish and mistakenly deduce that they therefore belong on a '50s-style custom.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!! We have a winner! Take look at the Larry Watson thread running by Rikster... Not a visor anywhere!

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I lived in Bermuda 1973-1977, that's how we could tell if the tourists were from the southeast USA, along with "Farmers tan" (left arm and left side of face) and legs that were chalk white. You have to see them on a moped to really get the full effect.

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

So..........you think they are ethnically correct?
    My name really is Calvin.

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I think they help out the 49-51 Ford and Mercury wagons IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  28. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

I love me a Fulton visor on a 50 chevy pick up.

29. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

30. Not a big fan at all, althought they do work on certain car/trucks.