Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DocF

DocF

Jackson was a neat joint and wicked fast. I was there the night that Nolan Johncock launched Max Dowker's super-modified off the backstretch and ended up stuck in a tree. Cousin Gordy ran his only midget race there and tore up one of Boob Logan's cars when he hooked the front stretch wall.

Jimmy had engineering help on the Lite-Knight car, I'm sure. It was a true space frame, fully triangulated which allowed it to be so very light.

2. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Wasn't the Booby Logan midget that Gordon Johncock crashed formerly owned by Eddie Gdula?

3. Buildy

Buildy

4. DocF

DocF

I think that may be it. I know Boob was very displeased. It took 20 minutes for me to get a printable quote from him.

Boob was a great tin man. He built most of the aluminum bottoms for the Les Staudacher unlimited hydroplanes.

Doc

5. lloyd roberts

lloyd roberts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Tony Saylor told me he had one K.K. and one Reichenbach.
    Tony bought the K.K. from Al Alpern's widow after Alpern lost his life at Grand Rapids in 1957.
    A cursory look at the front of Alpern's car with its Booby Logan nose, grille and distinctive front pusher indicate that it is the same as the Saylor K.K. in your photo.

Attached Files:

7. lloyd roberts

lloyd roberts

Monkaz,
    Thanks for your quick response, I was hoping based on some of your previous posts you might know about Tony Saylor's cars.
    The front pusher is very distinctive, and I agree it is probably the nose and push bar that ended up on our car. I spoke to my dad and he thinks, based on conversations with Tony, that the Alpern car is the #55 car that Tattersall drove in the USA to win the 59 UARA championship. Saylor was very clear that Tattersall never actually drove the Australian #55 in the US. I include in this post photos of both the USA and AUST cars and the radius rod difference is clear.
    A quick correction the photo in the original post was Jan 1960 but actually at Rowley Park and is the day the car landed in Australia.
    The attached photos show Tony Saylor and Tattersall just before leaving Jolliet in 1959, Tattersall at the first meeting the car ran (Rowley Park, for train spotters it has had some extra stickers added including USAC and UARA and American Flag decals brought out by Tattersall and applied here. The third is the USA #55 (Al Alpern?) car and the last photo shows an unflattering view Tatersall in the same car in mid '59.
    Thanks for replying.
    Aaron

Attached Files:

8. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

I saw Bob drive the Alpern K.K. with the Booby Logan nose at a NASCAR midget race at Islip in 1958-59, The photo looks like it might have been taken at that race because I believe I can see part of Eddie McVay's car behind Bob and the infield looks like Islip.
    If memory serves me the car was a light yellow with a brown number 55. Saylors team car was at the same race and I believe it was a V8-60 driven by Willie Hunziker.
    The common radius rod pad on your car is a key element in the identification of Reichenbach cars that in every other respect look like K.K.'s. As you mentioned Charlie Pritchard's adaptation of the common radius rod pad on the Tuffanelli Offies leads people to believe they were Reichenbach's when in fact they were K.K.'s.
    Your car looks like the Reichenbach with the nose grille and pusher off the Alpern car.

9. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

10. lloyd roberts

lloyd roberts

Thanks Monkaz,
    I've sent you an email please let me know if you don't get it. Earlier you said Tony told you he had a Reichenbach and a KK, in the story told to my dad regarding the purchase of this 55 was that Tony didn't want another car, he already had 3 (I believe he owned an offy and a v860 when he bought the Alpern car). Further recolection is that the Crocky Wright referred to the driver as "Needle Nose" and Dee Tattersall was able to supply and old address for him that an Aquarium on Long Island he was supposed to have owned.
    Tony said that he came over for a event in Chicago co-sanctioned by the ARDC???
    It is important to note we believe this car whilst owned by Tony was never run in the yellow and brown livery of his regular cars until it landed here.
    You are spot on with the colour, 1956 Lincoln sunkist yellow.
    Thanks again for your help, I am still puzzled by the plated front radius rod, I've not seen much on Reichenbach's but they seem a perfect match for Pritchards work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Beautiful shot, Buildy. Thanks.

Spike

12. Buildy

Buildy

My pleasure,Spike,glad you enjoyed seeing it.

I missed Sprinter 2s ID on the photo,Glad you liked it too,Doug.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Perhaps Charlie Pritchard adhered to the saying ,"when in Rome, do as the Romans do". Reichenbach was well respected in the Chicago area and Charlie might have simply copied the design.
    The Tuffy Offys were K.K.'s. The # 23 Tuffy Offy and the #25, currently owned by Fred Johns and Stan Lobitz are "Sister" cars. Johns car is chassis #91 and Lobitz's car is chassis #92.

14. TommyA19

TommyA19

Playing around here and seeing if this photo will appear.

[​IMG]

15. TommyA19

TommyA19

Playing around here and seeing if this photo will appear.

[​IMG]

16. TommyA19

TommyA19

Nope, does not work! Damn!

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Just heard Tommy Morrow has passed away

18. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Jimmy Montgomery said Tommy passed away at the end of November.
    Tommy was a fine gentleman - he will be missed.

19. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Tommy Morrow at Capitol Speedway in the Porter Goff Offy.

Attached Files:

20. the shadow

the shadow

hey guys, I need your help! short of looking threw pages and pages of posts, do any of you have any pics that show the rear suspension of an early "sprung over" rail framed midget with no body on it? I have to put the original rear leaf spring crossmember back into my rail framed midget. (the model A crossmember that houses the rear spring). the previous owner cut it out & I want to put it back. I know the location to put it in just not the height + it looks as if it may have been bolted into the original frame with tabs? I plan on welding it in un-less I see an old set up that shows me how they did it back then. I hate to guess!
    Paul

21. DocF

DocF

Well this set of photos may help you. You probably need to talk to the guy who posted them on that board.

http://www.midgetmadness.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22331

Doc

22. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

The latest project completed by Joe Fiore(wynns #1)

Milt Smith Offy restored to 1963

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. TommyA19

TommyA19

One day, many years ago, I opened up my AARN and there was a second paper - addressed to a Milton Smith on Mountain Road in Port Jervis NY. I looked up his number, made a call, and spoke with his wife. I asked if there was any particular reason why her husband subscribed to the paper and she said because he used to own a midget. She said I could just drop the paper off at the Post Office and that would be great. No way - I hand delivered it to his beautiful home. Over time I made a few visits there, and also ran into him and his wife at various Indy car races. Sadly, Milton left us some years ago. He was quite an interesting fella! As usual, Mr. Fiore did an excellent job on the restoration.

24. Flubyu

Flubyu

Porter Goff & Mike Mcgreevy 1961 anyone have photos of this car in 61 or earlier?

Attached Files:

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thought you guys might be interested in the Harry Hull Bantam hotrod that's apparantly been on Craiglist here in Connecticut for quite a while. Had it myself for a bit about 20 years ago,(the little girl in the photo is now 27). Sold it to Red McCormick, who sold it, etc. but it looks like it hasn't been compromised much over the years... and not stupid money either. The story I got is that Mr.Hull built two of these, the other went to a bus driver in Waterbury , and has been lost to time. Probaby some of you will know more about this than me. will be interesting to see...

Attached Files:

26. kunta

kunta

To Roscoe , I stumbled upon that car you are restoring Floyd Blakely is from Lemoore the car raced at the Lemoore Jet Bowl the drivers name was Lou Sakata ak " The Rice Paddy Daddy " , I am not sure about Lou's spelling on that last name . There is a brochure on Ebay from the Jet Bowl 1973 internationals were held there should list your car. Good luck and I think I have some old pictures of it.

27. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I found this photo of Tommy Morrow I took at Calistoga talking to one of his old friends two years ago. Tommy was living at the Veterns home in the Napa valley so he came along with me as my pit man. I had to fend for myself as Tommy spent most his time with good friends. He came with me two years, great time

Attached Files:

28. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I have found out most of the history of the midget roadster I am working on for Dick Woodland. Bob Cicconi got me to Lenny Boyd who inturn got me to Steve Craig, son of Goug Craig. Van Craft built the roadster with design work from Craig in1974. He ran the car from the East coast to the Mid West untill 1980 when he traded the roadster for a stock car in Ohio. Then it gets out here to Fresno somehow to Fred Gerhardt in the 90's who sells it to Dave Masterman, he reworks the car and a body is built by Jim Allen. Masterman sells the roadster unfinished in 2003 to Dick Woodland. I picked it up six months ago from Woodland and I am now finishing it. So, Does anyone know about the car in Ohio from 1980 to the 90's? The photo of the car with the cage is not during Doug Craig's ownership but possibly when to was in Ohio. please help me fill in the missing years.
    Also, Lenny Boyd is looking for hs midget roadster, Last heard of in Indiana, the last photo is Boyd driving his roadster in the 70's.

Attached Files:

29. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

putnam road course sept 10 2011 051.jpg A great car I seen at terre haute ind.

putnam road course sept 10 2011 052.jpg Click on the pics you`ve got to get a better look at this car.

putnam road course sept 10 2011 091.jpg

putnam road course sept 10 2011 092.jpg

putnam road course sept 10 2011 093.jpg Cars owner sense 1969 MR. DON CUMBERWORTH in blue behind car.

30. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

putnam road course sept 10 2011 071.jpg Another great car from same show at terre haute ind,

putnam road course sept 10 2011 072.jpg

putnam road course sept 10 2011 073.jpg

putnam road course sept 10 2011 074.jpg