Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to identify a 700R4 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Okay, I know stupid question, but seriously I've never had a mouse-motor driveline ever in any of my old cars.

I got these two transmissions in a complicated trade deal. I was told they are 700R4's but I have no direct experience of how to ID one.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. This might help
    TRANSMISSION ID (2).jpg

3. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

the 700's have a rectangular trans pan with 16 bolt's, 5 down each side and 3 across the front and the back. The one on the left looks like it has the provisions for the torque arm from an F-body

4. They're both 700R4's

I believe the cleaner looking one is out of an "F" body.

I can tell you a little more if you have a little closer shot of the other side.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what are you going to do with them?

6. Okay, the cleaner one appears to be an "MD8" case and the dipstick tube does seem to be out of an "F" body car. I can't tell on the other tranny what case it has cause it's too greasy but I believe that dipstick tube is from a "B" body car.

GM made 3 types of cases. They made an "MD8", a "K" and a case with no designation. You want to stay away from the case with no markings. These are the worst 700's built. The cases are weak which leads to warpage and they will have a 27 spline input shaft which is also weak along with its internals.

I'd go with that "MD8" case unless the other one is a "K" case. These trannys usually have 30 spline input shafts with much stronger internals.

7. The tennitive thought is to use one behind a 350 V8 in a 55 stude

8. bigdav160

bigdav160

Post the code impressed into the boss on the right rear corner of the case and we can tell you the year and model.

9. VSO737

VSO737

Hi,
    Can you give me that info. Here is the CODE: 3 P F M 1 6 1 P

Thanks a bunch,
    Mike

10. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

11. VSO737

VSO737

Thanks for the quick response.
    I guess what I really want to know is the MODEL. I know I have a 4L60.
    ¿Do you think that the "P F" (model) stands for Pontiac Firebird.
    I know that the "M" designates it is a 700R4 and the "161" designates the day of the year and the "P" is the shift.
    I did the research a while back but never found out the designations on the MODELS.
    Thanks,
    Mike

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

700R (4L60), early 4L60E and later 4L60E (Bolt on bell housing). Note electrical connections on later 2, you need a stand alone computer for these unlike the early 700R

Attached Files:

13. bigdav160

bigdav160

I think it's a 1983

If it was a '93 it would have a round TCC connector. Most likely out of an "F" body (Firebird Camaro)

14. hot rust

hot rust

the cases that have the k cast into them are for a k series trucks and suv's as in k1500 they have a bolt on dust cover instead of one that uses screws to attach it.

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

KOOL thread , i might go check on some also .thanxz.
    "B.B."

16. This is not true!

I have pulled "K" case 700R4's from B-body GM cars like the Caprice and the Roadmonster as well as heavy duty cars like cop cars. I have also found some in 2WD V-6 S-10's.

Bowtie I thought you jumped ship and went Ford???

17. The electronics in the 4L60e can be eliminated with a vaccum modultor installed internally. With the exception of the lock-up convertor, the electronics for the 4L60e regulate line pressure like the TV cable does on the 700R4 and 4L60. The vaccum modulator, when installed into the 4L60e, regulates the line pressure. When at part throttle, vaccum controls the modulator and allows for less line pressure. But at WOT there's much less vaccum pulling on the modulator thus allowing for full line pressure.

18. Okay, update. Both have MD8 on the cases.

The cleaner one on the number pad on the passengers rear side of the case is:
    6TNM - Y - 00047520 - 240C

The greasy one on the number pad:
    7T JM 204B

Any translations as to year and original application and what/which would be better suited to a non-electronic control application?

19. greg ducato

greg ducato

By my experience those codes correspond with an 86 and 87 Chevy/GMC van. The 87 model will be the better of the two since this is the year GM made a host of durability upgrades to these transmissions.

20. Fenders

Fenders

No, the 93 4L60 has the square three pin connector. It is a 93.

21. greg ducato

greg ducato

Actually, a 1993 could have been either a square or round case connector. LT-1 models had the round connector, V-6 and old style V-8 got the square connector, GM trucks and Vans all got the 4L60E starting in 1993, the passenger cars waited another year.

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Some 700R4's may have a bar code sticker on the upper part of the bellhousing on the passenger side,take the number from it and Google it,I found out I had an '89 core that way.For a 700R4 build you for sure want a 1987-92 core as these have all the upgrades and are still non-computer.

23. Unfortunately, the bar code stickers are long gone on both.

24. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

I cant tell from the photo but is the cleaner of the two transmissions the one with the 1987 code? See if there is a cam lobe shaped casting line that goes from in front of the dipstick hole up through the top oil cooler line and down to where the tv cable goes through. If it does it has the auxiliary valve body. Thats the one you want to use as it will have the better internals to work with and you can hydraulically lock up the torque convertor.

25. These 700R4's take a voltage source for the lock-up convertor.

No 700R4's were ever built to be computer controlled.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1993 was a crossover year. There were both 4L60's (the transmission formerly known as the 700R4) and 4L60E's installed in that year.

If it has a square connector, it is a 4L60(700R4). If it has a round one, it is a 4L60E.

27. greg ducato

greg ducato

The 1993 LT-1 used a 4L60 with a round 5 pin connector on the drivers side where one would normally find the square 4 pin connector. The 4L60E also used a round connector, but it is much larger and located on the passenger side of the transmission.