Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration East VS. West Book Now on Amazon.com!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spike!, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Spike!

Spike!

Hey all!
    Joe Alig and I have been working on a book for Cartech for about a year and a half. The title should say it all, but just in case it doesn't, let me explain...

As long as I've been into cars, which is pretty much my whole life, I have always wondered why all the media coverage focused on California. I was born on the east coast, and have spent much of my life here. The "little pages" I read like Rodding and re Styling ETC.. showed a lot of different places, but it seemed that they were always taking a back seat (pun intended) to California....

OK..that's enough... please buy the book. If it does well, we get to do a follow up. Its available for Pre-Sale here.

It should release in April and it looks to be on track to do just that. The way I see it, if even only a fraction of HAMBers buy the book, we will sell out of the first printing.

The book features much of my photography, some of my writing, and a ton of Joe's writing and stories. There are stories in this book that have never been printed before and photographs that have never seen the light of day until now. We had so much material that another book should follow if this one does well. If nothing else, it has been an experience for both of us. We have had the honor to meet people we may have never had the oportunity to meet and get into places that most people will never see. It will also have plenty of HAMB members and the cars they have built. I owe alot to Ryan and the HAMB for bringing this all together, be it directly or indirectly.

So, support the little guys that our Editor Scott Parkhurst took a chance on.

Thanks,
    Spike

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's added to my Amazon wish list for when I get some extra change after the Holidays are over.

When I first started reading and be able to buy car magazines in the early 60's the magazine rack at the store that we shopped at on Bainbridge Island wa usually had some of the East coast magazines each month. This should be interesting.

3. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting,but we gotta wait 'til spring?
    I love East Coast customs.

4. Must be the day for SPAM posting for stuff guys want to sell :D:D:D:D

5. Spike!

Spike!

Yeah, well..you know me...all about self promotion and all that..thanks for your support..
    The book is relevant to hot rods, customs and the HAMB, and, if I don't promote it here, I doubt anyone else will...besides Joe..and maybe Scott, our editor..and maybe Ryan...

Spam indeed.

Spike

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Looks good to me. . . I wouldn't call this post SPAM, I mean how else are we supposed to find out about this stuff?

7. Sorry you missed the Humor, what with the grinning little Smiley's

8. Clark

Clark

Book?! What Book!?????? :)
    Clark

9. FityFive

FityFive

Thanks for letting all of us know.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Spike,

Should be a cool book ! And, add some balance to the thoughts on East vs West styles/builders...both then & now.

Jonnie

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  11. jangleguy

jangleguy

Sounds great, Spike! Good luck, man - hope it sells a million copies and you get a Pulitzer, too! Will pick this up as soon as it's released.

I also write for Parkhurst (evil slave driving bastard!) and am glad to hear of more projects like yours.

Cheering you on,
    Scotty

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

Now, all we need is two guys from California to write a counter book and will have a left coast, right coast car war. Then the movie "Car Wars", Car Wars 2 etc. Good luck with the book.
    CRUISER :cool:

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Pre-ordered!
    Good luck on it Spike, hope it sells, so you can do a follow up as well!!

14. they build cars on the west coast too?:D i'll have to buy the book and check it out.

15. noboD

noboD

East VS. West, is this a poll? Where do I vote?

16. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Spike and I (Joe Alig) dug up some amazing history about traditional hot rodding. I'm not saying this because I'm trying to sell the book... It is because Spike and I actually work on hot rods and respect the men who came before us. We cared enough to write about them and put in 18 months of hard work above and beyond our day jobs. If any of you flamer's are worried that we're making money, how does a $1 an hour sound? Is that too much for you? It's our passion!
    We let people tell their stories and backed it up with their cars. We are proud as hell of what this book is all about and there is nothing like it. It's definately loaded with personality!

Did you guys ever wonder who started the practice of burning out in the staging area prior to a drag race and how it came about?

It is now a recorded piece of history that could went to the grave if not for our book.

17. I always thought the world ended at the California border .... but I will read the book with an open mind ...... and forget all that vast expanse between the two coasts! <smiley>

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  18. teddyp

teddyp

can,t wait for the book always saw some nice cars on both and in the mid west and alot of junk too
    best of luck on the book

19. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

being the magzine junkie that i'am gotta get me a copy, but what about the shirts spike ? and no pics by clark ,whats up with that ?

20. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Here's the eye candy.

Attached Files:

21. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

how about a shot of the back cover! always someone famous with his own east coast style ,also heard he takes pic's too !!

22. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Sam, we wrote this for you too. California=West, the East=everybody east of the golden state. You'll be glad to find out there was lots of serious hot rodding going on and there were noticeable differences in style too.

23. Agreed! ... my comment should have been in past-tense! LOL

And "so true" on differences in style!

24. Spike!

Spike!

BTT..I need new shoes..

Spike

25. Clark

Clark

WTF,,,I asked santa for a copy and didn't get one :)
    Clark

26. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Can you get a more detailed description of the book on Amazon?

27. fat141

fat141

Any more word on this book please?
    Rod

28. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Pre-ordered - Thanks for the info Spike!

-Pasi

29. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Gotta have another cup of coffee, thanks for your teaser BONE DADDY.

-Pasi