Register now to get rid of these ads!

Club Dues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aar0s, Dec 13, 2011.

1. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

I'm a member of a club thats just started, voted to collect dues this past meeting, I dont have a problem with that although I know that it can make for some problems. Lots of guys in clubs on here, thought id ask how many of your clubs collect dues or is membership earned in other ways (like helping at shows, minds out of the gutter)?

2. aircap

aircap

$31 per year for the national.
    $12 for the local chapter.

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

We get $20 a meeting and usually meet once a month. Dues usually pay for carne, pizza, beer, club banners, and other things like trophies when we build them for shows. We have a pretty good savings, too. We are saving to host an event and will pay for insurance, DJ, location rental, permits, and other fees with that money.

To join us you have to put in some time and go to events. Have a car on the road and it has to be something like minded with our club. We set a soft pre-64 rule but don't limit makes or models. If you can show you are one of us then there's really no problem. I think right now we are about 15 strong and that's fine by us. We aren't actively recruiting members and the ones we have all want to be members. There is no president and everyone takes part in leadership.

We all share a basic philosophy and have equal values and morals. We arent a social club or a party club. We like working on and driving old cars. We are millionaires and everyone helps out how they can. Drive your car, make it better while you do.

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

We get $20 a meeting and usually meet once a month. Dues usually pay for carne, pizza, beer, club banners, and other things like trophies when we build them for shows. We have a pretty good savings, too. We are saving to host an event and will pay for insurance, DJ, location rental, permits, and other fees with that money.

To join us you have to put in some time and go to events. Have a car on the road and it has to be something like minded with our club. We set a soft pre-64 rule but don't limit makes or models. If you can show you are one of us then there's really no problem. I think right now we are about 15 strong and that's fine by us. We aren't actively recruiting members and the ones we have all want to be members.

We all share a basic philosophy and have equal values and morals. We arent a social club or a party club. We like working on and driving old cars. We are millionaires and everyone helps out how they can. Drive your car, make it better while you do.

5. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Clubs have expenses that need to paid somehow. We pass the hat at every meeting instead of yearly dues. Our big expenses, such as event insurance, are paid by dues and sponsorships from local business.

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$35.00 per year. We also have a 50/50 raffle every meeting. Covers all of our club expenses,etc.

7. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Bro look at the Burbank Choppers. The coolest club on EARTH! I guarantee they do not pay dues... and I also guarantee the only way anyone gets in that club is by being a true blue friend. That is how you form and maintain a car club, through friendship.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Been kicking with the same guys from 1957,We have no dues,but find ways to get some cash for partys ect. by having swapmeets one time a year mostly and dinners were we each bring a pot luck dish and stuff like that,a club kiddy[piggybank]is handy for those that put in something extra or anny up from a club bet. WE some $ off club "T"s years back for the party fund,but we drank it,hummm needs replacing for another go,:cool:

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

We have no dues,been same guys for the most part from 1957 Scavenger's CC Miami Fl.,but fine ways to get some cash for partys ect. by having swapmeets one time a year mostly and dinners were we each bring a pot luck dish and stuff like that,a club kiddy[piggybank]is handy for those that put in something extra or anny up from a club bet. WE some $ off club "T"s years back for the party fund,but we drank it,hummm needs replacing for another go,:cool:

10. chop32

chop32

We get $35.00 per year in dues which goes towards Banners, decals, bbq's and our Christmas party.
    We are a traditional Hot Rod and Custom club that is fine with the 10 close knit members we have, but welcome people to come hang out with us and see what we are all about. Every once in a while someone comes along who is a great fit and becomes a close friend to our members. Then, if everyone is in agreement, they will be asked to join the club.

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

I just paid my Road Runner club and SCTA dues tonight. $75 for the year.

12. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

We have dues. Wont say how much but it covers our website costs and some t-shirts and some extra cash for events, food (cause we do it right at shows).

Los Boulevardos Cruise to the Lake coming in March

www.losboulevardosmessageboard.com

13. daddio211

daddio211

Just my .02, but a local club collecting dues is a club with a short life span. Yes there are exceptions so don't jump my ass on this, its only my opinion. Guys eventually figure out that they can hang out with their friends... for FREE!

Next come the splinter groups who think they can "do it better" but do everything rhe same and are also short lived.

What works for our group is this:
    1. EATINGS, not meetings. Get together 2nd and 4th Saturday, cruise to breakfast. Meetings suck.
    2. No officers, ever. Club president and vice, but this is "our" club not "my" club so your input is critical!
    3. No dues, ever. We don't want to file as a 501c, pay taxes, or any if that crap.
    4. We exist to have fun cruising in our hot rods, not sitting in lawn chairs.
    5. No drama. We haven't yet had to kick anyone out, and hope not to bit will if its best for the club.
    6. No member is EVER required to participate. Come as you are, whenever you can, even in your daily driver. We'd rather see you in your wifes Honda than not at all... besides, we can tease you about driving a Honda.
    7. Car clubs should be more fun than work. If they're not, then we should be getting paid for all the time we put in. When the fun stops the club dissolves.

Stickers? Shirts? Plaques? I've done this two ways. First, I took orders and financed the purchase intending to collect when people picked up their order. That was a disaster! I'll never do it again!

Second, and the only way that works to save your bank account, is to take orders WITH PRE-PAYMENT! Order is not entered until funds are received! Order extras for those who forgot, even though you told them 38 times.

14. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Early Rods Of Tulsa $50.00 a year. When times got a little tuff we dropped from $60.00. Most of the money goes for club nights at members homes for BBQ, burgers and such.
    We also gave money to one of our members with cancer and also to St. Jude's childrens hospital.

15. daddio211

daddio211

Our website costs are covered out of my pocket. I do the updates and pay for hosting and the url. No biggie, about $30 per year total, but its really basic. www.rodsandrebels.com

We have about 225 members.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

one way to avoid dues is in part through a monthly raffle. another way is sell T-shirts with two or three club members rides on them - can either have a small copy of club logo on it or just the written name. sometimes can get businesses to help sponsor shirts and put logo of business on sleeve. help out other car clubs put on events for a small donation to your club or for charity you help out. at all gatherings everyone pays for their own meals - no "free" pizza nites. to get shirts made up, etc usually someone in club can come up with start up expenses. then paid back as shirts sell. a lot of this stuff depends on how big your club is and how big it grows. in any club you need a main spokes person to keep the ball rolling. also, someone to handle $. doing a monthly newsletter is a good way for everyone to keep up on things. email is best. if you print one then everyone that wants a copy provides self addressed stamped envelopes. if you want to put on a car show you need to get businesses and even the City Hall to get involved to offset expenses. but, if you are going to get incorporated and copyrights, etc on your logo it can get pretty involved. you then have to follow legal rules of order, etc. to run a web site check out shutterfly.com - I know a club that uses this site for their stuff and is really good. also, use Shutterfly for producing a club calendar.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  17. firingorder1

firingorder1

The Road Runners celebrate their 75th anniversary next year. Done right clubs can survive and thrive despite dues. : - )

18. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

We pay $12 a year to cover our cost for our local club. And we have been around 24 years with many of the original members. We are also Life time members of Minnesota Street Rod Assn and paid a large one time fee many years ago best money we ever spent.

19. Belonged to a car club in the '60s. You couldn't just join so it wasn't like anyone who had cash could be a member. There was still 10 dollars a year in dues. If the club needed cash besides that the hat was passed.

20. dgang26

dgang26

No dues -- ever
    We do all chip in to cover the cost of our little web site -- like $10 each per year -- that's it

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

i can understand dues for food, banners, tees and stuff, seems fair. Or just collect money when expenses r needed. Drugasm, did you just say you guys are millionaire so everybody help how they can? :D

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That's how we do it too. Everyone pays for their own items as needed. Plaques, jackets, shirts, etc. works out best that way.

24. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

no dues for us, just everyone pays for their own back patch and plaque.

25. daddio211

daddio211

What we did for jackets...

I told everyone to buy their OWN black Dickie's Eisenhower jacket, deliver it to me with a check made out to our embroidery guy for $25.00 and their choice of thread color. Once I gathered everyone's jacket I sent them in. That way I didn't have to handle the finances and everyone got what they wanted. Piece of cake!

And my embroidery/screen print guy is a HAMBer too!

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

They've kicked out several former members. I guess the "friendship" thing came to a screeching halt for those guys, huh? :cool:

27. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Our dues are $50 per month if you don't have a car being worked on in the club. $80 per month if you are working on your car. Keep in mind that our club has every tool known to man; TIG, MIG, Brakes, Grinders, nuts and bolts, etc.. If you use welder gas and nuts and bolts there is an unofficial contribution to the fund. Oh yeah, the beer fridge is $2.50 per for REAL CANADIAN beer.
    It is one of the oldest clubs in Canada at going on 56 years!

28. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm a board member in our club 2 years running now. Formed in 1984, about 106 members. Dues are 75 bucks a year.

29. Surprised nobody's said "clubs are for seals"...... :p

Every club I've belonged to that had dues always had problems. Any time you introduce money into an equation, it gets complicated. :(