Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC with Ardun Heads at the Revolution

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I thought I had seen everything by now but this was a new one for me. Anybody know the scoop on this Chevy motor with Ardun Heads that was at the Revolution?

[​IMG]

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This was in another thread.. They were knocking this guy for running fake Ardun covers on his SBC. I'll have to try and dig that thread up..

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

4. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Neat car but I,m not into the fake Ardun.
    It,s like putting lipstick on a pig,it is still a pig.

5. Yea but if I had to kiss a pig I would want him to be wearing lipstick. :rolleyes:

I guess its kind of silly to try and make anything but a flatty look like an Ardun, but we do see some pretty silly stuff in our world.

If we are picking it apart the owner has the heat shields on his lakes pipes on the inside as well. There are no doubt some fine points to the car and something like goofy valve covers can be overcome pretty easily, I suppose.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Fooled me. Pretty good snow job there.

7. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

So the original cylinder head is capped with the "faux" Ardun? Outside of it being an imitation are there any other negative factors? Would you build excessive heat in the operational head? Since it is capped, plus you are running exhaust through there seems like it might get awful hot.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Who cares? Looks cool as hell as far as I'm concerned.

9. curly,
    They are just valve covers every SBC has valve covers of some sort. They shouldn't effect the engine in a negative way that one would notice.

The make it a better snow job it really need a front mount distributer.

I looks like the fella laid out some cahs on some pretty cool period pieces for the little heap. He is or has been a HAMBer, maybe if we lay off the beating for a minute or two he will chime in with some input. I would like to see the whole car or some different pics of the car to wrap my head around the whole build not just what we don't particularly care for.

Like I said earlier a valve cover swap isn't that big a deal.

10. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

I got ya. For some reason I was thinking the whole assembly just sat over the already capped (with a valve cover) cylinder head. Now I understand the whole thing is just a valve cover. Thanks.

11. If it's just a valve cover, how could the 2 center exhaust ports be so far apart?
    They are normally really close on a SBC, right?

12. Someone actually showed the whole kit and installed a few years back. Caused a big firestorm. I probably actually got involved myself.

Funny how it works here, one baboon shows his ass then the rest of the troop follows. But we are harmonious I suppose.

When the mods are on their game they usually get a thread shut down before it gets completely out of hand.

Hmmmm, hadn't paid any attention to that. So maybe its an olds or a poncho? Looks like a GM water pump for sure.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That's true. Can't see whether the spark plug wires come out underneath the faux covers into their original spots...

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Kinda cool car I think.
    Not any different than hiding a 350 making it look like a 327, or running only the center carb while blocking off the other two on a tri-carb set up in my mind. Or Coker tires that are radials made to look like bias...and so on.......
    As long as the owner doesn't try to falsify it when he sells it, no big deal to me.
    Cheers.........

15. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

16. I just glanced at the photo and said, "Cool...Ardun..." and then went on to the next.

I guess if I would have looked harder I would have noticed.

Still a cool ride IMO.

17. There is a fella in Calif that makes reproduction Ardun heads to run on your flatty or you can buy a complete aluminum ardun from him as well. They are supposed to be better than the original Ardun heads, blah blah. But it is a rich man's game. Nothing against the wealthy they should have fun too.

Noting the exhaust ports being in the wrong place for a smal block and knowing that there are faux ardun covers for small blocks makes me want to know more about the engine.

So someone who knows who the fella is PM him so he can join into the fun. Please.

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I was over at Fergusens shop yesterday. He has sbc aluminum block castings to fit the Ardun heads.
    When I arrived there they were running an Ardun(Ford) on the dyno--630 and it was soft.
    The air scoop is a Cal Custom "Panther" ("Bolt a pair of these on your hood")attached to a custom baseplate.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

To me it looks like it might be a redesigned head, with the exhaust ports changed? Weird looking!!

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

As others have said, the exhaust ports are way off. SBC has the center ports touching.
    If that's some kind of cover, that's an incredibly tight area to cover a SBC head and reroute the exhausts by the outside of the Ardun "cover."

Could it be an old SBC hemi-head conversion, capped with a set of repop Ardun heads?

-Brad

22. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Might be a fake but it has the HAMB thinkin'. Got to give credit for that.

And I dig the air scoop a lot.

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You don't imagine that an exhaust manifold spacer couldn't be made that spreads the pipes out? I do. Not a HP enhancement but...

Are modern ARDUN covers "fake" OR are they the plastic real fake ones painted?

24. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Its about the right spacing for a BBC though, the short water pump looks more like one for a Big Block than one for a Small Block.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not sure why folks get all crazy when they see something cool faked? We see people building clones of old 50's-60's rods or cutoms all the time, and enjoy them. Aren't they fakes, since they're built today and not really from the period?
    With the cost and lack of real Ardun heads, I'd think these fake Arduns would be a welcome accessory to many builders and admirers. I like that there's something the average guy can afford in a hobby that often gets way too expensive!

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not a big block Chevy, or the plug wouldn't be in the top of the water pump. Ona BBC there's a hose that connects to the intake manifold there.

27. Someone on the closed thread mentioned earlier knows the original builder (or was it the owner) and stated it was a 267 SBC (baby smog SBC).

Now to determine if they're covers or Ardun/Hemi conversions!?!?!?!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.