Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help on 1958 Chevy 3100 VIN Location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by runningiron, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Anybody,

I bought a 1958 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup without a title but with a notarized AZ bill of sale. I need to get it inspected so I can apply for a bonded title. The truck has a stainless steel VIN plate tack welded on the drivers side door post. Also, where is the VIN on the frame? It has a Mustang II frontend and my luck it will be under the control arm chingy wingy. Anybody got any pics they can email me of where thier vin tags and vin locations are on the frame? I'd like to know where they normally are before I go to the AZ MVD. Lord help me!

Runningiron
    [email protected]

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I used a third party DMV for mine and the vin tag on body was good enough. Mine was also on the front of the frame, they didnt look at (it matched) but if yours is clipped I am not sure where else it might be.

3. Is your VIN tag tack welded on the door frame? Hopefully they won't give me too much grief. Thanks.
    Runningiron

4. zarbtime

zarbtime

The number plate you have described should be plenty for the DMV..These trucks have the same number stamped on the frame by the steering box...The modification to your front end may have deleted this part of your frame???

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

The tag should have roset rivets I think, My gmc does. Or if you have the narrow tag I believe it should be staked onto the pillar.(MID OF DOOR) If it has tack welds they may start giving you grief. And more than likely the MII setup is covering half the number on the frame like the last one I did. It is on the top of the frame on the drivers side ahead of the steering box.

6. locorider

locorider

58 Should be tacked welded on the front door jam/cowl not riveted.

[​IMG]

7. locorider

locorider

8. Cool beans! Mine is just like the one displayed by locorider. It is tack welded. I think I'll take it to a third party DMV suggested by Razorshotrods. I had them inspect a 1940 Chevy truck before applying for a bonded title. They didn't seem as picky as the AZ MVD inspector. Thanks guys.

9. vanst603

vanst603
    from New York

The Vin on the frame is located on the drivers top rail in front of the steering box, I found mine stamped here. If your frame has only light rust use a steel tooth brush and you will find it. However the DMV should take a pencil transfer of the door frame stainless tag. Good lunch it's a pain in the butt, I did it about 18 years ago for a Vette.