Register now to get rid of these ads!

A 5 year old wanting to work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FormerFueler, Dec 13, 2011.

1. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

My 5 year old Granddaughter is pushing me to build "our car". Seems she has an itch to cruise with PaPa, She is in the garage every time I go out to work on the 53,I told her that she can pull the oil pan off the 235 after school tomorrow. She was all for it! I'm a lucky guy!

Attached Files:

2. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Man thats really cool! She has lucky Grandpa. I remember spending the summers with my Grandparents while my parents worked. We would tear apart mini-bikes, rebuild them, ride them, sell em and start over. At home, my Dad always had at least one mustang in the garage that we would work on or go out driving when he would get home. That sparked me to do what I'm doing now with my '53 chevy. In elementary school, all I would do is doodle and draw 32 fords with exposed engines and zoomies and chopped mercs!... (Thanks to American Graffiti) I couldnt wait to get home and head to the garage with my brother. We owned a nintendo, but could care less as long as there was something to do in the garage!

Keep em away from video games and internet... Except the hamb of course.

- Jon

3. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

The "Dorkapotmus" will not let me work on my 53 unless she is there, We are now working on a 54 full pressure engine which will soon have the 848 head down in your neck of the woods to have Total Flow work some magic,Maybe next trip down we can hit Duggan's for a burger.

4. Willy301

Willy301

Very cool that she likes to help you out. I won't ask where she got her moniker, but guess that it had to come from you. :D Keep her on the path, she might be the next Shirley Muldowney!

5. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

thats awesome my wife hates it but i have good hopes of our daughter gracie jo, of doing the same

6. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

She loves working on the car, The name DID come from PaPa! And She is cool with it, As far as the next Shirley Muldowney.... Let's just say I know Shirley pretty well from the IHRA and a match race or three, I have a lot of respect for Shirley And I have enjoyed a lot of our conversations in the staging lanes. I'm sure Jasmine (Dorkapotumus) Will learn to stick to her guns.

7. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Duggans sound good! I had to dig this picture up... here is my Niece at 16 mos. old this past summer. My brother stopped by to check the progress, and she had to get in for a closer look!

[​IMG]

- Jon

8. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Dude its great to get kids into cars, instead of freaking computers, video games.... and the worst of all... REALITY TV!!!

My son helping me work on a '40 ford...(hes one, and has grease on his cheeck... makes me proud...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Gotta love it! I checked the build pics. Very nice! I'm up north working for Connie and committed to my 6 in a row.Duggan's will be in the plan next trip.

10. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

You are on the right track Cutlassboy!

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

i wouldnt be a parent of small kids again.but i love being a papa.!!!me and them little kids get into all kinds of trouble with their parents(my kids). i let them eat chocolote for breakfast and drink a small class of coke before bedtime.they think im the greatest.i love it.and my 5 yr old grandson loves mustangs and old cars only. he dont like new cars and no one has taught him that.he can pick out mustangs from any group of cars. ok im done sorry for takin over.

12. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

It's all good outlaw! I've been known to give all the kids Red Bull 15 minutes before they go home.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

What a cutie pie! I'm looking forward to taking her for a ride in Big Olds this summer.

14. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Yeah, its all going great until she gets grease on her Easter Bonnet. Trust me, I know...

cb1

15. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I am sure she would enjoy it! I know Squid will go along!

16. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

cb1,We have already bought her Carhart's for the shop! The Dorkapotumus is all set!

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

its time the 2 of you started on HER race car
    she can race her own soap box derby car at 7 there is a track in saginaw
    and there is nothing stoping the 2 of you from practicing untill she is old enough

go to the derby website in my signature they are having a christmas sale right NOW!

18. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Looking at the kits DerbyDad, Will ask the Dork in the AM

19. my first granddaughter is like her mother in my shop ready to do anything

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Good cuz I'd hate to see her get grease and oil all over the pretty purple coat as that coat was meant to be worn CRUZN:cool:

21. You're a lucky man. I don't have any of my own. I'm a step dad to a great stepdaughter but other than cruising around she doesn't seem too interested in working on cars yet. But I have a nephew that get's right up on the wheel. ;)

Attached Files:

22. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

cool picture!
    my kids were raised in shops,the boys are kinda in to cars-but my 15yr old daughter is a freaken gear head from hell! she has a 1972 Grand Torino-429 Dov car,sold to her last year after her b*tchen at me for a couple years about it,i've been teaching her to cut & weld,
    when she was little i would have taken pictures of her working on my toys but that would have been evidence!:rolleyes:

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LMAO! Thats a dirty trick, gotta remember it. :D

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a great idea! She'll learn about tools, mechanical workings etc. If she wins I'm sure she'll remember Akron. I built one, won the first Guam race, went to Akron and cherish the memories. ( Even the darn itchy fiberglass!) Its good to start kids young, hope my grandkids show an interest.

25. sbin

sbin

My 5 y/o daughter also loves to help work on all the OT vehicles backhoe and tractor.

26. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That is awesome FormerFueler.

That is how it starts.

-W