Register now to get rid of these ads!

Optima battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuck 49, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chuck 49

chuck 49

I have a 1949 chevy truck with air suspension. I need to change over to a optima battery yellow top. It was converted over to 12v. Can anybody tell me what group or the dimensions? The battery is under the floor on the passenger side.
    Thanks

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Do a search on Optima, you may want to reconsider.....

3. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

I bought my heavy duty marine ''optima'' from ''Pep Boys" within 3 months unused/mocking up a car It was dead...I had taken all the precautions they had provided me with....They wouldn't make it good...I waited a few weeks thought I would talk with th manager....He took my paper work and went to his office...The counter folks told me was waiting for me to follow him so he could call the police..//..calls and letters to Optima folks produced nothing..It only cost them 4 sets of tires a year for all the years hence...I wouldn't install an Optima on a Russian sub...

4. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Yellow tops are the worst and only one year warranty, if they even cover it

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, make a pretty product with fancy stuff to go with it, but, since no one will see your battery buy a good one. put a batt on/off switch along frame some place too. auxilary batt studs for charging/jumping may come in handy.

6. chuck 49

chuck 49

What battery would you suggest? What Have you guys had luck with. Thanks for the heads up. The last optima battery I had was about 10 years ago in a VW bus. Stock engine just to keep the acid from eating the paint. I actually need a good battery to run the pump for the air bags in my truck. I don't care if it's a gel core or not.
    Thanks again.

7. oldman2

oldman2

Can't tell you anything about the yellow top. I have a red top in my 50 chevy pickup it has been in the truck for 8 yrs, and no problems. The longest it set was for about 2 months, but started the engine right up. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones....Jim

8. chuck 49

chuck 49

Can you remember what the group was? Does your truck have any excessories that can drain the battery? Like a big stereo or something?
    Thanks

9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a yellow top for the lights and winch in my enclosed trailor from 1-5-06 and I use it for lots of other stuff. It works and Lasts Great Gary

10. LongT

LongT

11. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Optima red top going on 8 trouble free years ! I to have a shut off switch when not in use. Sometime sits for up to 5 months. Can't be the only good one they made !

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I had great service from Interstate batteries,....One of which was a grossly neglected group 27 "deep cycle"... Talk with a dealer, and give them the dimensions of your battery compartment. i did the Optima red top thing with my '40 pickup...it died when the truck was in storage....And yes, I did have a maintenance trickle charger on it.....
    4TTRUK

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

chuck 49 - you state that your truck has a air bag system and has been upgraded to 12V. was the wiring completely replaced? are all components top notch? are battery cables, etc heavy duty? how is air system wired in to electrical system? you should do a search here on batteries. opinions/experiences are all over the place. no matter what brand you buy there is no warranty that gives the install and forget gaurantee. go to your local battery supply shop close to you that you trust. take them the measurements of tray & battery area. then they can tell you what cranking amps, etc are available for that size. sometimes a slightly different size will have more CC's. also, a air system can put a big strain on a charging system and may require a battery just designated for the system. if you are planning to change out the 6 cyl you should consider that when you do your electrical components.

14. 5632

Since Optima went to Mexico they become junk. Also twice the price and half the warranty of regular batteries.

15. I'm on first year with an Optima and I'm starting to become disappointed in it. OK, I left my battery disconnect turned on and all my accesories are shut off, including stereo stuff------it lost charge in a week's time.
    I've come to the conclusion that a Battery Tender will be needed to keep my battery usable as long as it will be. Once it's done, I will be changing to an absorbed glass mat battery, AGM type, labelled by O'Reilly's or whoever, to get a possibly more reliable battery.
    I'm not convinced that Optima is a good battery choice any more. I will suggest getting a battery is has both side and top posts when the purchase is made. Spend your money wisely.

16. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

17. The red top Optima has been in my roadster since 1996. With the blower and 8.5: compression, it takes a pretty good grunt to start. I have let it set for up to 2 months, and it never fails to fire right up. I can't speak about the yellow top, never used one.

18. ronk16

ronk16

Deep cycle marine battery are the best to run air compressors, they are built to be drained and recharged with out compromising the amperage output, have them in my 66 t-bird and my 59 f100, also get a good alternator with a low rpm kick in

19. Von Brandt

Von Brandt

I have a red top in my A-Bone going on
    4 years, all good!

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Optimas are not and never have been "gel-cells". The Optima has the acid/water "captured" in a fabric layers wound tightly inside each cell. This minimizes the gas production and corrosion caused by free liquid sloshing around plates. My understanding of their construction. To my knowledge Optima is available only in Group 24, stock 55-57 Chevy and most GM until side terminals. The exception being the 6V version which has only 3 cells and looks like a big phone/camera AAA battery pack.
    Various companies have produced or are producing "Gel-cells" or drycell batteries for Auto and Motorcycle use. When I was in the auto parts business we sold a couple brands , gel and dry, and had so many returns we thought the return rate of Optimas was nothing. Both gel and dry were dropped, perhaps they have improved in the past decaed, perhaps not.
    I notice most are using conventional lead-acid batteries or Optimas in early cars these days.
    It is quite simply a more sophisticated version of the common lead/acid battery.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Optima D31A Yellow Top, and a D31M Blue Top in my 4x4 rig. They both just hit the 10-year mark. Zero issues.

22. yblock292

yblock292

don't do it, they suck!

23. chuck 49

chuck 49

Thanks I'll take a look.

24. chuck 49

chuck 49

The only wiring that's new is the stuff thats new install. I still have the original wiring in the places that haven't been changed. I talked to the guy at JBC he said as long as the battery has high CC's it should be fine. He said he has used everything from a optima to a die-hard. As long as the charging system works I'll be fine.

25. chuck 49

chuck 49

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. I will shop around.

26. Deuces

Deuces

When was the last time somebody bought a Die Hard battery???

27. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had red tops and I've liked them.. Costco doesn't carry them anymore, but the regular Kirkland sig batteries have a good warranty and Costco will never give you a hassle returning them as long as it's in the warranty period.. I have one that is going on 8 years old that sits most the time, still works.

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yep........!

29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Many people, including me, have had good luck with the Optima battery. But, there does seem to be more trouble with them than a good quality "regular" battery. I remember reading about a trucking fleet that kept records. They found the Optima to be considerably less reliable than a "regular" battery. Just reading on the internet, problems with Optimas seem to come in waves, That would indicate some kind of manufacturing/quality control problem. In the last couple years the problems aren't being reported as commonly as they once were. I believe the company changed hands a few years ago. Possibly that made a difference?

30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO