Register now to get rid of these ads!

After all that saving.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasolinescream, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What did you buy or want to buy? Whats the biggest thing you had to save for? Something that means everything to you. The sort of thing that made you eat noodles for 3 weeks just to be able to think about buying it, let alone ship it!

Tomorrow I make that buy, it's my Birthday/Christmas present to myself and i've been saving for 6 months solid. Brand new suspension and steering :D

After months of pouring over pictures and screaming for my car to be lowered, eventually it gets paid for and now a reality. I can not explain how much i want to grab the spanners and want to see that tail drag. At times i've worked 3 jobs to do this, no shit. My car is getting lowered properly, costing alot of money, but it's happening. Sorry but to me it's like a gift from our hot rod god. I think it's down on the hot rod tablets somewhere.................

........Any car, no matter how shite, will always look better slammed!.........

What are you saving for?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Good for you man,thats the only way to go,save,pay for it. To many guys these days slap down the plastic and then can't pay the bill. Post up pics of the car when its done.

3. Deeter5764

Deeter5764
    from Orange, CA

Kick ass man. Cars always do look better slammed.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, got any pics to share? exactly what will you be doing to it?

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

What does saving mean? Isn't that an oxymoran when it comes to hot roddin'
    Anyway I'm saving now for a old drill press, I want one of the hand crank, I think they're called post or barn beam drill presses. There's one on our CL that looks nice. Ideally I'd like to have all turn of the century tools in my garage, so thats what I'm saving for. I already have an old Peck Stowe and Wilcow roller and a bunch of hammers from a blacksmith.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

top to be chopped

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I worked 10 hr. days some of the spring, most of the summer and all of the fall so I could replace the corvair front-end in my coupe. Just picked up the parts on Sat. from a buddies shop. Chromed dropped axle, hair pins, spindles, batwings etc. etc. Also got a muncie, clutch kit, flywheel, hurst shifter and pedals. Oh, and a Lime works column and vega box....Yikes..now I'm broke. No money for Christmas gifts now. I hope my family understands !!!!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had to sell a bunch of stuff, cut spending and beg on my knees to get the Hildebrandt Valve Covers, Rebuilt 97's (by Uncle Max on the HAMB) and the world's best linkage made by Dickster also here on the HAMB. And that was a year after I had to do the same for the Weiand 4x2 intake and a Edelbrock EC6 6x2 hemi intake. I think my wife has caught on.

[​IMG]

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

My latest 4 post lift, I love my lifts. I have spinal damage and can bring the vehicles to my level and it's doubling as an adjustable height work bench for other jobs.

10. Energy

Energy

Not as high $$ as those, but took some serious doing both times on my part.

First, finally got myself a welder this last spring!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073

Then, a guy I work with wrecked his truck (actually, it was wrecked for him! ;)), kept it to part out, and ended up walking up to me and offering me the 305 w/RV cam, w/10K miles on it for $150. Bought it on the spot, and that definately wasn't in my budget at that time, But how many days do you get an almost new engine, that you have seen driven to work for 8-9 months, for that kinda $$.

Scored an entire interior in dark grey cloth that works in my ride too, for FREE!!!!

Not a bad year really. :cool:

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ate Ramon noodles for 3 months to get the first, complete frontend on my bucket. Ramon noodles... the saving mans food.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thumbs UP to you for that..
    Sounds like a great upgrade...
    Good for you..
    Cheers.........

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

100 extra hours a month for the last 13 months to pay off my premee daughter just so I can start thinking about expending any "disposable" income on the 2.5 year project ( that was only supposed to be a 1 year project)....

super duper close to getting that sweet gal paid off then it's game on for the finish line!

14. metalix_421

metalix_421

good for you!!!! Im saving right now for a new intake and carbsVVVVVV but its very slow saving, about a third of my car money goes to the intake and the rest goes to other crap I need for the car to get it on the road. but if I sell one of my cars the money is going to buy it as long as momma dont know haow much I get out of it.

Attached Files:

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I worked a second job for two winters in a row to save up the money for my Fat Luckys interior. Well worth the sacrifice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

I can't stop looking denise!!! Wowza!

17. Right now, I've been saving for the past few months to get my frame underway this winter. I don't have the skills or experience, (not to mention a frame jig) to put it together myself, so I've been saving to cover the labour. Working my regular day job, evenings at another job, and a couple weekends a month at a third job to put as much cash aside as I can. Of course I keep finding parts at swaps that I need to have, so that always sets me back.
    Also cut out the booze, which has saved me a bundle! I only twitch sometimes now.

18. Talk about Traditional!, 100% down, no monthly payments! Way to go!

19. I have to save for everything always have.

Buy yourself a good present and enjoy friend.
    benno

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I was 16 I got a job @ $3.00 an hour working part time. I spent only $5.00 a week out of my check (my previous allowance) and saved until I had enough to buy my 1949 Chevy coupe for $650.00.

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahaha, i actually like them and i lost over 15 pounds!!!! You don't know how good it is to hear that i'm not the only sad case that would do this sort of thing.
    Wasn't always the way, i chose to re-train as a teacher/youth worker, 3 years ago and its taking alot of time and money but nearly there now. What money i do have spare isn't alot and sometimes hard choices have to be made and the car always wins.
    Someone asked what was i actually doing and compared to alot of folks here its nothing special. The body is getting a few paint touch ups and a few mods. New grills, new modded bumpers, debadged, rear decked and smoothed, front inidicators relocated to bumper, mirrors shaved, louvred bonnet and a few other odds and sods. The main thing is new suspension, steering, new rims and WW's. I have wanted to lower the car ever since i've had it and this is by far the biggest mod. 50mm up front and 65mm rear. This is as low as i can go without major chasis mods and still tow my caravan. Still a cool drop and i can always grab a few friends to weigh down the rear when not hitched up.
    My saving has netted some custom made springs and 30 point adjustable gas shocks all round. Full poly-bush kit F&R, new steering box and totally refurbed linkages, ball joints etc etc. The cost of all this is more than i paid for the car AND caravan. Should (the big should) cost me about £3K.
    Today i had to hand over some of my hard saved cash and the first of my parts are on their way. I've started on the bodywork and grills so things are happening and it feels great. Going to make a start on my caravan as it will go a similar style and also require money thrown at it.

I better put up a pic of what i'm talking about. As i said nothing special or popular with you guys but i friggin love it. Hopefully my little set-up should look a little different next year.

Keep saving folks!!!

[​IMG]

22. I don't know man. I think it looks pretty cool! Sure looks like a comfortable driver :)