Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hupster, Oct 30, 2011.

1. hupster

hupster
    from california

Did a few little patch panels.

Attached Files:

2. hupster

hupster
    from california

Took the body on the rotisserie to the media blaster and got it back in epoxy primer.

Attached Files:

3. hupster

hupster
    from california

I sealed all the floor seams with seam-sealer. Did the body work on the firewall and painted it 1940 Dodge gray-olive green. That will be the color for the car.

Attached Files:

4. hupster

hupster
    from california

I got a little out of sequence with the last few posts. I actually had the frame on the rotisserie for painting before I used it for the body.

Attached Files:

5. hupster

hupster
    from california

I like sun visors on some cars. I think shoebox woodies are particularly good candidates for visors as they have kind of tall forehead look to them. I got a Fulton Sun Shade with the woodie project when I bought it and picked-up another Fulton at a swap meet. I like the look of the Fultons, but thought they could fit the roof-line of the woodie better. I sectioned one of the visors, shortening it 2" at the outer edge tapering to 1" shorter in the center. I had to also shorten the dog-bone and change the forward attachment point. Here's a look at the stock vs sectioned visor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. hupster

hupster
    from california

Here are some shots of the finished chassis. I added tubular a-arms, mounted 2 compressors for the air bags and had the exhaust run to the rear bumper. The rear end is a 9" from a 1960 T-Bird - nice and narrow as I will be running reversed steel wheels at both ends.

Attached Files:

7. Nice work/progress getting done..following this one.

8. hupster

hupster
    from california

When I put the body back on the chassis, I covered the chassis with plastic to protect it from the primer and paint. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Turned out to be total pain in the ass. After much frustration I tore out the plastic.

Attached Files:

9. hupster

hupster
    from california

I made mention earlier of a 6 x 2 manifold for my Chevy votec motor. Here are some pics of the manifold made by Ed Umland of Eddie's Chop Shop. You can see the fuel rails run along side of the manifold and will place the injectors in about the same place as the original manifold. The carbs will bring in the air like the original throttle body. I made some brackets to relocate the coils to an area below the air vent tubes and will use some Offy valve covers to dress-up the motor.

Attached Files:

10. hupster

hupster
    from california

I dragged the hood and visor over to Eddie's Chop Shop and we punched 90 louvers in the hood and another 20 in the visor.

Attached Files:

11. hupster

hupster
    from california

Aligned the fenders and hood reasonably well with the hacked-up original core support. Got a universal cross flow radiator from Summit, made up a new core support and added a fan shroud.

Attached Files:

12. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Subscribed....WoodShoes are the bees knees. !

14. hupster

hupster
    from california

Shoebox woodies have sliding windows in the 2nd seat area with 2 drains on each side in the lower channels. The drain tubes just end behind the wood paneling. It seemed to me that it would be better to run the tubes out. So, I extended the tubes so the front ones drain thru the rockers to the ground and the rear ones into the wheel well and on to the ground.

Attached Files:

15. hupster

hupster
    from california

The woodie project is my 10th car build. I don't consider myself highly skilled, but I've become pretty comfortable with most tasks of car modifying/building. However, my car woodworking experience has been limited to the things you need to do with wood in a model A. So, one of the many reasons that I choose a shoebox woodie is that several "wood kits" are available. Since I'm in Northern California, I've seen quite a few cars which had wood from Wood N' Carr (SoCal) as well as Rick Mack (Seattle area). Since Wood N' Carr's kit is about half of Rick Mack's price, I opted for the Wood N' Carr kit. I was able to buy a kit from someone who bailed on his project at a little lower price. Once I got to the stage of fitting the wood I learned why the prices are so different. Wood N' Carr's kit requires a great deal of work while Rick Mack's kit is much more refined. Here are some pictures of the first fit of some pieces. The wood that shows beyond the metal of the car must be removed before sanding and finishing.

Attached Files:

16. hupster

hupster
    from california

The wood kits are designed to be assembled with mortises and tenons. I cheated and used a Kreg joint system that uses pocket screws and I used Gorilla Glue on all joints. In addition to the Kreg Joint tools, I bought a power planer, a bench-top belt/disc sander, and a 14" band saw. I already had a compound mitre saw, a belt sander and numerous DA sanders. The band saw was not up to the task of cutting the hard-rock maple. So, I got some help from a commercial cabinet shop. The fitting, cutting, planing, sanding, repeat, repeat, repeat took about 2 months at my pace of 3 to 5 hours most days. If I had it to do over again, I'd pay the price and use Rick Mack's wood kit. I did purchase the insert panels already finished from Rick Mack.

Attached Files:

Nominal likes this.
  17. hupster

hupster
    from california

Wood fitting.

Attached Files:

18. hupster

hupster
    from california

More wood finishing and adding the inserts. The inserts are curly mahogany.

Attached Files:

19. hupster

hupster
    from california

here are a couple of shots that show the grain of the insert panels pretty well.

Attached Files:

20. sololobo

sololobo

Amazing build Hupster, I have loved the Hupster from first sighting. Now my heart is pounding over this build. Out-friggin-standing my friend. ~sololobo~

21. ausbuick

ausbuick

Look like a Heart stopper buddy
    cheers darren

22. hupster

hupster
    from california

Thanks again for the encouragement. I hope it's not a "heart stopper" - I've had enough of that. I'm now pretty close to current with the posts. Doing final body work and blocking primer in prep for paint. I won't be doing the paint. I'm using a great local body shop - Artistic Collision Center in Rancho Cordova for the paint.
    I can't remember if I mentioned I'm using a 49 front group with the center bullet rather than the 51 with the 2 smaller bullets.

Attached Files:

23. hupster

hupster
    from california

got color on the tailgate.

Attached Files:

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice work on the wood and I love the color! I dont know if I could do a wood car ....if I cant weld it I think I should stay away lol!

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is another great looking build, Gary!

26. hupster

hupster
    from california

We got the body to the body shop for paint. Should be green next week. My very understanding wife let me put the fenders in the living room.

Attached Files:

27. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Wow very cool build. I have never seen anyone redo the wood on a woody, great job. Was the install very difficult? subscribing

28. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

i'll take the stock one off your hands

29. hupster

hupster
    from california

Thanks, Koolkemp. If I could just weld the wood back together when I make a bad cut it would go a lot easier.

Thanks, Rock.

Thanks, McNally. Yes, the fitting and installing the wood was/is very difficult. I still have to do the final install after the maple wood is varnished.

Sorry Loco, I already sold the stock visor.

30. hupster

hupster
    from california

Got her to my friend's body shop (Artistic Collision Center, Ranch Cordova, Ca).

Attached Files: