Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with axles and such I found at the farm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by countrysedanman, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I found these axles and bones at my grandparents farm. Long story short grandma passed last year and grandpa just a few months ago. They lived there forever and where poor farmers who kept everything. All this gear was made into hay racks that hadnt moved in years. We have to clean up out there and probably have a sale for the farm stuff someday. Can you guys tell me what I have here? My dad found another wagon today that has spoke wheels and the open front drums, but it is pretty buried and the wishbones are totaled. The front axle with the wide 5 pattern still steers and rolls somehow, but the rest not so much. Thanks inadvance for any info, just wondering if I can use any of the bones and such for my T coupe with an A frame im starting on.

Brad

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus

wide five rear is 36, wide five front is 36

there rear end with wires depending on where the spring mounted is either 28-31 a or 32, i see a v8-cap and wire on one side and an A wire wheel on the other. need a pic of the wher the wishbone mounts to the axle

and the font end with the open windowed brake drums could be from 32 to 35, need pics of the spindles and where the spring mounts

3. thanks man! The rear axle in the pic has the spring mount on the backing plate, the rear bones have two holes that bolt to a flange welded to the axle tubes. The wire wheel on without the cap has the spokes welded to the outer wheel, something grandpa must have made. As far as the spring mounts on the front, Im not sure. They arent there. Thanks again for your help, this is all new to me and I like to learn.

Brad

4. titus

titus

If the front end has the spring mounts that mounted the spring in front of the axle and are torched off it would be a 35 front end.

the rear is likely a 28-31, the spring mount would place the spring on top of the rear end.

5. The rear end with the wires is a 32-33, has the spring hanger behind the tubes it looks like, and the wishbones bolt on the under side of the bells....A's fork out around the bell and bolt to the two front backing plate bolts

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. titus

titus

Now i see it on the pic of the axle in the trailer, couldnt see the spring hanger in any other of the pics

7. Yeah, the wishbones do mount to the lower part of the axle tubes on the rear with the spoke wheels. I took them off but not sure they are very good shape.

I will get more pics of the front tomorrow, I need to torch off the rest of the wagon parts and will see if the wishbones are cut off on the front.

As far as the front wishbones on the 36 axle, they have 2 sets of holes drilled in them. One near the pivot end and the others in the middle. This pretty much makes them unusable correct? Even welded they could be suspect right? Sorry if thats a dumb question, just want to know the right way to do stuff.
    Thanks again Titus and Chris for your time and input.

Brad

8. F&J

F&J

Take those middle bolts out and you can see how much wall thickness is left. I'd bet they are not rusted from the inside. That small hole means nothing to strength in that location, nor does the ones at the back.

Those are very thick from the factory.

9. I was able to remove both sets of rear wishbones yesterday without much trouble. The set from the axle with the spoked wheels are pretty thin and rusted, but the set from the wide axle seems sound. Not sure if I can use them or not but they look cool.

I was able to torch the wagon stuff off the front axle with the open drums, one side of the wish bones had been modified, but I dont see a spring mount that has been removed so not sure what it is for sure.

The last pics are a 40 front end that is refusing to come apart. I want it for the brakes and wishbones but so far no luck on disassembly.

I ran out of time to check the thickness of the wide five front wishbones. What would be better to split, the 36 or 40 bones? Or does it really matter? thanks again for any info recieved, Im happy to learn.

Brad

Attached Files:

10. That front end with the modified wishbone is a 32-34...good score! The curved rear wishbones are 35-36, the shorter rear wishbone are 33-34, and yeas that front end looks 40.