Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Chevy + 1992 Caprice??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Valts, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Valts

Valts
    from EU

Hi !

My friend just bought a 1937 4 door Chevy and wants to build a rod out of it. Tought about make it 2 door and sitting it on a 1992 ex-police Caprice chassis, using its engine-drivetrain and most of mechanical stuff.

What do you think about that? Any suggestions, similar build threads are more than welcome.

V

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

No!

Wrong wheelbase, and wrong width! Plus it's just wrong... The stock frame will fit without any cutting obviously!

3. X2 chaddilac!!! Hot Rods DO NOT have 92 Caprice frames under them!

4. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

How would you make it a two-door?

5. nooooooo!!!!!

6. Valts

Valts
    from EU

Ok, tought that EVERYTHING is possible in rodding.

what would be better options. There isn`t really much left from the 37, body and some exterior-interior stuff. No frame and original engine-powertrain

He obviously needs some chassis to start with.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just widen the body about 2 feet, booger weld it all together and don't use any type of measuring device, just eyeball the whole thing. post pictures here as you go and everyone will be telling you how cool you are.

or maybe that only works with 52 Chevy 4 doors.:eek:

8. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Everything in rodding is possible---Everything in the HAMB is not

Build the car the way you see it, just be discreet in what ya post in here if you are not prepared for a thrashing

9. F&J

F&J

Good thing that the moderators have been deleting this CRAP.

I have said this too many times: There are plenty of streetrod sites out there, and only ONE for traditional rods/customs. Don't bring that garbage here, please.

10. Well, OK, where do I start. This is a traditional hot rod site, my 29 roadster is right on the edge of whats accepted here, ( glass car ) but I built it with a traditional theme if you will, steelies dropped front axle roll & pleat interior, etc. etc. What you propose is going to turn out to be an abortion, according to what this site is about ,and it does'nt need to be. Stick around and look and listen to what a traditional car is, and it it's not what you (or your friend) want to build then you're in the wrong place. And we like pictures, so we can get a feel for what you've got to work with. There are some really talented people here that will help you out if you want, but let us see what you're starting with.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Years ago a friend owned a 38 Chevrolet stock 4door sedan. He tired of the original drivetrain and bought a rolled 75 Nova with a six-cylinder. We pulled the drivetrain out of the stock car and replaced it with the drivetrain out of the Nova in one weekend. Started Friday night and finished late late Sunday night. Even the driveshaft didn't need to be shortened. He bought a stock 57 Chevy six exhaust pipe, muffler, and tailpipe and we had it installed Monday night. Tuesday he was driving it to work. Over time he added a little chrome to the engine, a 3-1bbl manifold and Clifford finned aluminum rocker cover, changed the front brakes to late model, 49-54 late model. After rebuilding the steering box all was right with the world. A/C was next on the agenda but sadly the car was hit hard in the rear quarter by a late model GMC van and dismantled for parts later.

No late model chassis involved. One nice driver the result. Don't do it.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Where exactly is EU?

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. henry29

henry29

northern France?

15. OH, and don't like the frame swap thing either.

16. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

East Utopia.

17. just because you can does not mean you should.
    my 36 pontiac 3w body was tacked onto an s10 frame when i bought it. i cut up the s10 frame and scrapped it. now it's on a 36 pontiac frame.
    just be on the lookout for other 37 chevys for sale. they are out there, in rough shape for not much money, but if all you need is a frame that's ok.

18. r8odecay

r8odecay

The OPs original post said Estonia before... he changed it to EU...

19. subdajj

subdajj

European Union where the euro resides

20. squirrel

squirrel

I was thinking Europe...if so, then it might be a bit difficult to find appropriate donors, or a nice original 37 frame to start with.