Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rims done right..Jason at Earlywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Queen, Nov 22, 2010.

1. unclejtl

unclejtl

I have dealt with another small company here in calif. its called custom comercial wheel. I have had great service from them. these last wheels I ordered on a monday and had them at my house wed! they are 15x8 and were raw. He took chevy centers and opened them up so they would fit on my ford. balanced great too.

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/

[​IMG]

he also made these wheels for my trailer with the chrome rim/raw center. this was a few years ago.

[​IMG]

2. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Well it looks like we've moving forward with the 5x4.5 pattern. Kinda sucks to have to build your car to the wheels instead of building the wheels to the car but I guess that's what I'm going to have to do to get the wheels I want. Jason says he has plenty of the 5x4.5 centers on hand so hopefully this will now get done sooner than later.

I'm just glad we've got a solution now... hopefully.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

3 weeks,still waiting.

4. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Beef Stew,

You Sir, have MAJOR patience!

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Said they would be done on the 20th. Took 6 days shipping on the first set. Still not out 10 days later... I think Im getting hosed here. His employee admited building them wrong and jason is real nice on the phone with promises. Where are the wheels I paid for?

6. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Sorry to hear your having problems. Jason is a great guy and has been very helpful in getting our Bonneville car set up. He built our El Mirage and Bonneville wheels. They had to be welded 360 which of course means they are not straight after welding. But he strightened them up and they were vibration free to 170 mph. Good service and price. Sure hope he gets things worked out for you.
    Dan

7. I'm bummed, I had good service, I did have to have him remake my fronts as they were to narrow for my ring to fit on full and tight, jason said he would remake them..still never saw them, but no matter, I sold the 29 ford and the rings on the front didnt look that bad.
    I do agree on Custom and commercial wheel in fontana..Ray is the man..old school..long timer.. he did all our different rims for all the herbies in "Herbie fully loaded" the wide five 13x10 for the nascars, 15X6 for the junkyards and the widened chromed smoothys for the pimp herbie. he is fast, friendly and honest..

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

6 days to make the first set. 6 WEEKS still no promised replacements. Whats that math tell ya?

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

well surprisingly enough i actually got me wheels last week. i went ahead and redrilled my front hubs to 5x4.5" in anticipation of my new wheels showing up. of course there was still a delay because 4.5" wide 16" wheel hoops are apparently in short supply which is fine and out of jason's control so again i waited.

jason contacted me and told me that he came across a pair of 4" hoops and that if i wanted them he'd build me my wheels and have them to me asap. i thought about it for a while and decided 4" wide front wheels would be fine so i gave him the go ahead. during all of this he was still messing around with the powder coater trying to figure out this magnesium finish i want.

i called the shop in the middle of last week and hylan answers and he's yelling back and forth between me on the phone and jason somewhere in the shop. jason tells him he gave up on the powder coater and will be sending me bare wheels. i say that's fine... i kinda had a feeling the powder coat thing wasn't going to work out and jason said he'd refund me back for the pc charge. jason yells out that i'll have them the next day and sure enough i did but there were some problems.

the wheels show up and they look good. the rears look like brand new pieces and are bare but not blasted but the fronts are blasted. i take a closer look and there are some really bad looking spots that look like porosity as best as i can tell or describe it. like big nasty scars in the metal all along the out lip of the wheel and where the center drop out is in the hoop. i didn't realize this until later but there haven't been 4" wide 16" hoops made in decades. i'm guessing that these were old early ford wheels that had rust but it didn't really show up until they were blasted. ugh. i was very displeased. the rears are fine (expect for another problem) and the fronts are no good.

months ago i asked jason if he could do a 90 degree taper in the seats because i wanted to use 1" hex lug nuts and he said sure no problem. well the wheels showed up with the regular 60 degree taper. i call him up to complain about the crappy looking front wheels and the wrong taper. he says he must have not seen the wheels after they were blasted because he was in a hurrying trying to get them shipped out to me. okay fine but they look like crap so you're going to have to re-do them i says and he says okay. then i asked about the taper and apparently he didn't fully understand what i was getting at. he thought that a 1" hex lug nut required a 5/8" stud so he was thinking he'd have to drill the holes out. but then i said at one point that i was running regular 1/2"-20 studs and i guess the wheels are already drilled out for 1/2" studs so he thought that they were fine. but i wanted a 90 degree taper, not a 60 degree taper. ugh.

his solution is to send me a taper so i can do them my self. fine, whatever. at this point i don't really care but for what i paid and for how long i waited it would have sure been nice if these wheels would have shown up in perfect condition like anyone would expect brand new wheels to be.

so the saga continues. he needs my updated credit card info to refund me back for the pc charge but i'm making sure that all this shit is fully taken care of before he even thinks about refunding me. i don't want him to think that just because i have some wheels and my refunded money back that we're done. i'm still waiting on those fronts and they better be tits.

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I will have to call wheelsmith soon to get these I guess. I cant roll around on promises.

11. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Four words to the wise. You want it right........call these four

Wheelsmith

Ralley America

Bear Metal Kustoms

Real Rodders Wheels

Just trying to help..........................HOTRODRUBBER

12. hustler1984

hustler1984
    from lindsay ca

a customer of mine ordered as set of wheels from them, they told him 3 days but took 2 and a half weeks. They said they ran out of material kind of hurt my deadline a little but wheels came out really nice. i would recommend them for wheels just give them a little extra time if your on a schedule. [​IMG]

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Nicest guy on the phone,promises to send them out tomorrow. 2 months and nothing. Now I have to spend my $$ twice and buy from someone else.

14. Cruiser

Cruiser

There must be more to this story then Beef Stew is telling! One can always lean the story in their favor to look good. The Early Wheel Company takes pride in their work and problems will come at times. No matter what Jason does for Beef Stew he'll never be happy. (I was wrong on this one, everyone is happy now.) Best to rap it up and move on, shit happens.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  15. Bullshit, Nate doesn't make sthit up. In fact he SETTLED FOR THE WRONG WHEELS IN THE END just to keep his project moving forward.

BTW, I ordered my parts from Wheelkid because of this thread.

16. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

all this time i thought i was being pretty even keeled about this but you seem to think there's more to my story. well if my story was really that warped wouldn't jason be on here telling his side of things? i've seen guys get on here and start major rants and shit storms when stuff they've ordered from someone else took an extra week or month to get to them. i finally got my invoice when i got my wheels and it said august 31, 2010!!! and it's almost 20fuckin12 now. still waiting for my replacement front wheels since the ones he sent me had rust damage. what would i gain in leaning the story my way to "look good"?

this is what i had read here on the hamb and thus the reason i spent my hard earned money with jason. i understand problems come up but c'mon, these are steel wheels here. problem after problem after problem only leads to more problems. i waited a damn long time before i said anything publicly about this and gave him plenty of opportunity to get this handled. i finally had enough and decided to put a fire under his ass so i posted this here and i'm sure he's seen it.

you don't know me from jack shit and i really want to tell you how much of a fucking clueless tool you are but i won't. i guess i'm in the wrong for expecting a set of wheels to be delivered to me with the right bolt pattern, the right taper, without rust damage, and with a powder coat finish in a timely manner.

it's a good goddamn thing that jason doesn't have your same shitty attitude about delivering a good product to a good paying customer. it's a fucked up attitude like that that gets small business owners in trouble (ala riley auto).

i will say that jason has had the perseverance to see this through and make sure that i am happy in the end and i most certainly appreciate that. i'll appreciate it even more when i get my replacement front wheels and this whole ordeal will finally be WRAPPED.

17. Cruiser

Cruiser

Looks like Jason needs to tell his side of this story, like I said there's more to this story on both sides, there always is, don't give up maybe there's middle ground somewhere.
    All I can say is "good luck and I hope it works out for you".

CRUISER
    :cool:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I never get on here because of the drama plus I have no time running a shop and two companies..I offer a discount to HAMB guys as a courtesy..Alliance vendors are charged to be Alliance members..Here is an update... Nate got his wheels today. This has been a long drawn out process.. I won't deny that. At the time of his order I was told by parts supplier that his parts are available. Not something we usually build. Only set asked for in 4 years..The parts were ordered. After long delays and still not getting them, I was told we would not get them.. Then we went to plan two. we were taking centers, welding up the holes and having them re-drilled for his pattern. 5x5.5 on a 16" deluxe center... we were ending up with more issues with the centers not wanting to true out with the drilled centers. The last option was for him to change his bolt pattern. There was no problem with centers for his new bolt pattern but we had exhausted all 16x4.5 hoops I could get my hands on. After a couple months I got a couple 16x4 wheel hoops that we could use but they needed blasting. we built the wheels,sent them out straight from the blaster. Nate informed me there was some pitting on the wheels, I told him no problem, use them till I can replace them. I told him that I finnally got confirmation that 16x4.5 hoops were in route. As soon as I had them, we built the wheels. I then needed new tooling to chamfer his holes at 45 degrees for his lug nuts. That is end of the saga. Yes, I am refunding him powder coat(that never happened) plus a large discount for his trouble. I told him a few times over the course of this problem that I would just refund him, but he said he needed the wheels and we were so far into it.. I do not know another wheel company that would keep trying dif. things over a year to get this done.. Most would just walk away...All told, We wasted 13 centers and several hoops trying to get this done for him... Jason.

19. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

These wheels are enroute.. Hylan didnt build them wrong. He went off the dimensions he was given. With those dimensions, the wheel has to be reversed. Yes, he should have questioned if they needed to clear disk brakes. It was not all four wheels that were wrong if I am not mistaken.. It was two of them. UPS shows they will be delivered on Friday to your house Joe..

20. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thanks for getting them out Jason. Yes it was 2 of the four that were changed from the specs I gave. I ordered from the specs available on your website and you have corrected that glitch. Please dont think I am not appreciative of your work, and the wheels I received were nice. I wish he would have just picked up the phone, and in the future Im sure he will if he questions changing anything.

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

Now, that everyone is happy let's go hot rodding and good luck to everyone. :D

CRUISER :cool:

22. Except for Beef Stews year plus epic to get two wheels:rolleyes:

23. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

What part of Nate has his wheels.... didn't you see Tman? It wasn't two wheels.. It was four wheels... He was taken care of in the end ie...Big discount. His wheels were not an off the shelf thing.. Call Jimmy and see if he can make them.. he can't, I know.. I know wheel kid personally....We all have delays, parts issues etc from time to time.. You have to weigh the positive verse the negative.. Out of the thousands wheels we have sent out..people only hear about a couple issues..all thanks to the information highway........ Jason.

24. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Trent, we're good man. I know you're hot on keeping Alliance Vendors on the straight and narrow but Jason delivered and I finally have all four wheels and for that I'm super happy. Like I said before, Jason had the perseverance to see this through and all along he said that his goal was to make sure I was happy in the end and I am so mission accomplished.

I'm just stoked and can't wait to get these things powder coated so I can get tires on them and actually get my car off jack stands.

25. Custom stuff made from 50+ year old parts takes time, often longer than the maker plans. If you want them right away, go to Discount Tire and get some 20s. Glad this is sorted out.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Once again we have a post where the poster never bothered to read any of the thread.

We are not talking about custom made wheels here made with 50 year old parts. :rolleyes:

They were talking about a set of brand new wheels.

27. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Business is tuff these days and problems always come up despite the best intentions. Beef Stew I think you are a class act for the patience and understanding of the situation. Jason you manned up and kept at it to try to rectify the problems and complete the sale, which I think should always include a satisfied customer. That seems to be the end result.

I guess this is all custom stuff and it would seem to me that both sides in this case handled the situation as best they could.

Beef Stew I am glad you got it sorted and are happy with the wheels. Post a couple of pictures when you get them finished, I still am not quite certain what raw mag looks like.

28. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I received the last of my order today. They look very nice and happy to get them on the truck.

29. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Mounted tires to the set they had to re-make. the run-out wobble was easy to see on the balance machine. Kind of a sad sight after powdercoat and setting new tires on them.

30. And on and on it goes. Was hoping all was good and that this was done.