Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toys of Christmas past....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edweird

edweird

does anybody remember a battery operated wrecker named big bruiser.i think its from the late 60's

2. customcory

customcory

Yes, I had a big bruiser in 65. Had a crunched front fender you changed back and forth.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Is it a 5-speed??? Shwinn(sp) had one of those also.. The one I used to own had a yellow frame..

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Toy Trains,Lionel or American Flyer,even Marx was all super cool stuff :D:cool:;)

5. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone remember the black Solex??? Had a 2-stroke gas motor that rotated the front wheel... Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one of those back in '73-'74.. :rolleyes:

6. Had a Cox powered Belond AP Special Indy car tether car. My dad ran a big bus garage so I ran it in big circles inside the shop - made great noise.

7. Schwinn had the Krate series, the yellow was the lemon peeler.

8. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Yep, I had one of those. Really wish I knew where it was.[

QUOTE=54 savoy;4708190][​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

Christmas 1952 I got a set of the Original American Bricks (wooden) I asked for (and got) additional sets for the next two Christmas'. I still have these and my kids and grand kids have all enjoyed playing with them. I also got an Erector Set and used it entirely up. All parts eventually went into other projects. I do have another near mint set that I found in a Junk store.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Christmas '65. I got a bicycle that had a plastic motor to make bike look like a motorcycle.The plastic motor ran off batteries and made an engine noise. I;ve always remembered that damn thing.

11. Larjk9

Larjk9

Still got one and it still works.

12. Larjk9

Larjk9

Still got one, and it still works. :D

13. erlomd

erlomd

I got socks and underwear...never really get cool gifts anymore...but I give out cool gifts....lol

14. erlomd

erlomd

Other than that I remember the cliche "rock em' sock em' robots", transformers (80s toys) he-man toys and getting remote control hover crafts like the typhoon....
    There was also gotcha paint ball guns, lazer tag game sets with the black gun and belt, pogo ball, crash test dummies, ghost busters, toys that came with a small container of slime
    Simon game, wow now that I think about it it was alot..
    .my favorite was a night rider big wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  15. Do 'big boy' toys count?:

[​IMG]

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone remember the 'Girder and Panel' building set's? I remember getting a set back around the early 80s. They were a lot of fun, the whole family got involved building! I ended up with enough building material to build a skyscraper that was over 6ft tall!
    If I had the room I think I would consider picking up another kit!!

http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=1010GNP305

Doc.

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Lawn darts, I can still remember my Dad yelling to my brother and I "Go long. "

Attached Files:

• LD.jpg
      LD.jpg
      File size:
      8.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  18. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

How about this- "The Sands of Iwo Jima" play set- talk about fun

Attached Files:

• iwo.jpg
      iwo.jpg
      File size:
      305.4 KB
      Views:
  19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

AC Gilbert's grandson worked for us for a while.... his mom had a gold plated Erector set on the floor in her basement,

20. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I had a tin gas station with tin cars around 1960 that I really wish i had now. It was two stories with a crankup lift for the cars. My favorite was the H.O. slotcar set i got in the mid 60's. I had the fastest Mustang around. I lowered the body (probably 1/16") and cut the rear wheelwells for the huge slicks, filled the body with clay for traction, and put the "Hop Up" kit in it. I think you could put different gesr sets in it too. That thing was so fast it was funny to race the other cars.:) My mother moved out of her house this past summer and we found the slotcar set in the attic, but alas the Mustang wasn't there...:mad:

21. jasone

jasone

greedo shot first!

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm the oldest of 6 boys. We grew up in the 60's and that was the time.
    So many memories. The Revell 4 lane slotcar track was the best in 68/69? With kittens in the house it was even more fun. Crossman pump BB guns. (another time)
    Cox dune buggy was a blast. The Cox "Shrike" tethered straight liner. Never got the hang of the tethered planes. Wrecked a few before I gave up.
    Lawn Darts,,, we used to ride our motorcycles and stick em in the tree infront of the house. I was older and on my own then though. Wish I had a set now.
    Mom would bake massive dosens of cookies. Those are like toys.
    Major Matt Mason. Space adventure toys. I got a P-40 Flying Tiger with spinning prop and motor and gun noises. I wore that out. I flew all over the neighboorhood.
    Now its "I dont want anything, spend the cash on the kids."
    I was at the mall last week. There was family and the daughter was staring at me and just fixed. She was about 2 or 3. Her Dad came over and said "She thinks youre Santa." I have a white/graying beard that needs a trim.
    I went over and "HO HO HO'ed " a little and she loved it.
    As I was leaving I whispered to her dad," I told her I'll bring her that pony".

23. Redline kicked ass! blew mine up though like to buy another! anyone remember Matt Mason doll with his space helmet and crawler and his space station mid 60s very cool!

24. Yup, we had one or two of those girder/panel kits too. Ours had a highway/bridge section, we could build high-rises and roads with ramps & bridges. So many pieces! Mom used to get after us cuz they'd end up all over the house.

25. edweird

edweird

damn i forgot about that crunched front fender...........aint the HAMB great!!!

26. theamcguy

theamcguy

You can still get the Girder & Panel sets from Bridge Street Toys

http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/

27. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I've still got the set from the late 50s/early 60s that was handed down to me from my older cousins. Used to love building with that set! The maker (Kenner) also had a monorail set that used the same building.... the box given to me is from that set but sadly I never got any of the monorail stuff, only the buildings. Still, it was one of my favorite non-car toys!

28. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Lawn darts are illegal in North America!

29. Deuces

Deuces

Since when???????????? :confused:

30. That was one of my all time favorite toys! I found one a few years ago, but it was a piece of crap and the guy wanted the world for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.